mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i

Save Druridge Bay

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Please tell Communities Secretary James Brokenshire not to approve an opencast coalmine in Druridge Bay, Northumberland.

Save Druridge Bay - Friends of the Earth

Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Thanks yorkslass, trixie88 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Why would you want to spoil such a beautiful place by introducing mining again,Apart from anything else I thought fossil fuel was less popular than diesel.
    I know the northeast, like Yorkshire, has a long history of mining, but honestly who wants all that muck back again?
    Likes trixie88, mariesnowgoose liked this post
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    If you believe what is reported it would create 50 jobs.

I know we're desperate for employment, but is that amount of natural destruction really worth it?!

You're right. 50 years ago and I remember it well. Inland from Druridge it was dirty and desolate for miles, all the way down to Ashington.
    It took decades to get Druridge to where it is now.

Who in their right minds would want to take us back in time in this way?!
    Likes trixie88, jeanette liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    It is nowhere near the Country Park and the people who are whining about it are the same ones who got overnighting stopped years ago at the South end of Druridge Bay. Sod the Nimbys.

And don't forget that the Druridge WC Meet (in beautiful surroundings) is smack in the middle of a former Opencast Mine.
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkslass View Post
    Why would you want to spoil such a beautiful place by introducing mining again,Apart from anything else I thought fossil fuel was less popular than diesel.
    I know the northeast, like Yorkshire, has a long history of mining, but honestly who wants all that muck back again?
    Possibly the local folks who have to try to find a means of earning a living there....

Same as areas of Snowdonia and Derbyshires peak district.... The locals work in industries that appear to sit awkwardly with their surroundings...
    The sad fact of life is whilst some of us visit areas and struggle with the view 'spoiled' by some form of industry....
    The residents that live their have to earn a living AND tourism will only support a finite amount of seasonal employment via tea shops and gift emporia.

Frankly most of our country is man made anyway... Industry and farming etc haven't left many corners untouched.
    Likes trixie88, Alf, ironman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    It is nowhere near the Country Park and the people who are whining about it are the same ones who got overnighting stopped years ago at the South end of Druridge Bay. Sod the Nimbys.

And don't forget that the Druridge WC Meet (in beautiful surroundings) is smack in the middle of a former Opencast Mine.
    I know. I remember it well. I wildcamped in the dunes when I was 6 in me Dad's old Atlas van. Just in from the beach and the dunes it was dirty and desolate

I find it hard to believe that ALL the open cast protestors are against overnighting in campervans, Jim, the argument here is about starting coal mining up again, nothing to do with the right to camp/park up
    Likes trixie88 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    Possibly the local folks who have to try to find a means of earning a living there....

Same as areas of Snowdonia and Derbyshires peak district.... The locals work in industries that appear to sit awkwardly with their surroundings...
    The sad fact of life is whilst some of us visit areas and struggle with the view 'spoiled' by some form of industry....
    The residents that live their have to earn a living AND tourism will only support a finite amount of seasonal employment via tea shops and gift emporia.

Frankly most of our country is man made anyway... Industry and farming etc haven't left many corners untouched.
    Maybe the answer is to reduce mankind instead?!
    Likes GreggBear liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    Maybe the answer is to reduce mankind instead?!
    I'm doing my bit....

We had dogs rather than kids.
    Likes Alf, Debs liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    I'm doing my bit....

We had dogs rather than kids.
    Ditto

Rescue cats rather than dogs though, now all gone.
    Likes mistericeman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS

In our little bit of the Peak District we have lost both of our major employers in the last decade and we are much the better for it. Because we are in a box valley all the muck that was excreted from these plants stayed, the local secondary school was against one and often the children were not allowed outside, and often we had interesting coloured snow too. One was a dye producer and the other was employed in top secret government work that we all knew about, they were using depleted uranium to manufacture coatings for armour piercing shells. Thankfully they've gone and our local economy has, after a few years, flourished too. Nimbys has been bandied about on many occasions, but sometimes it does have a firm foundation.
    Be the best that you can, without causing pain to others
    Likes yorkslass, mariesnowgoose liked this post
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information