CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Dogs

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Left unatended with parents away partying,rest of life in jail would be what i would give them,no child under 14 years is by law allowed to be left alone,see it all the time a super markets and filling stations,mind one i was at the cops nailed the girl.
    putting the dog part aside, I am sure when we were all a lot younger, nothing at all was thought of being under 14 and being left alone. I think there is too much responsibility being taken away from young people.
    (in fact until the mid-70's, you could leave school at 14 and go to work)
    I used to look after myself from around 10 or 11 while my mum was at work without coming to any harm. And when I was either 11 or 12, actually used to 'babysit' a boy a couple of houses down and a year younger every Friday afternoon when his parents went shopping for an hour.
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes GreggBear, Debroos liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    What are you trying to say? It ok for kids under 14 to be left unsupervised?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    What are you trying to say? It ok for kids under 14 to be left unsupervised?
    When you were 13 or 12 did you always have an adult present constantly? I certainly did not. I went to to school "unsupervised" when I was under 14. I was home alone under 14 when I got back from School. Went into town and did the shopping when I was under 14. Went to the Saturday Pictures when under 14.

What is so magical about reaching 14 that means you are suddenly responsible but under 14 you couldn't be trusted or are incompetent to be left alone?

(There are also plenty of 20+ year olds I would not trust to be alone on the house as well! Why isn't the age 18 or 21?)
    Last edited by wildebus; 14-04-2019 at 22:31.
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    This child is reported to have been 9 years old. And no way should he have been left with a dog he didn't know (Nor the dog with a child it didn't know)

We have no idea if he teased the dog, the dog suffering anxiety away from its owners ..a tragic accident which could have been avoided

Channa
    Likes trevskoda, Debroos liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    When you were 13 or 12 did you always have an adult present constantly? I certainly did not. I went to to school "unsupervised" when I was under 14. I was home alone under 14 when I got back from School. Went into town and did the shopping when I was under 14. Went to the Saturday Pictures when under 14.

What is so magical about reaching 14 that means you are suddenly responsible but under 14 you couldn't be trusted or are incompetent to be left alone?

(There are also plenty of 20+ year olds I would not trust to be alone on the house as well! Why isn't the age 18 or 21?)
    Of course I did but I wasn’t left alone at home when my parents went partying.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Parents out partying more than likely all night and probably pissed up, poor 9 year old child left alone with strange dogs and ends up dead.

Jail the parents.
    Trust No One
    Likes trevskoda, winks liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    putting the dog part aside, I am sure when we were all a lot younger, nothing at all was thought of being under 14 and being left alone. I think there is too much responsibility being taken away from young people.
    I used to look after myself from around 10 or 11 while my mum was at work without coming to any harm. And when I was either 11 or 12, actually used to 'babysit' a boy a couple of houses down and a year younger every Friday afternoon when his parents went shopping for an hour.
    Under what circumstances could a child leave school at 14 to start full time work in the 50s, 60s and 70s. As school leaving age at 15 was implemented in 1947 and then raised to 16, implemented in 1972.
    Thanks caledonia thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Not here ,from 1965 had to stay to 16,thats why were are miles ahead on education than you lot me doz thinksis.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    I was left alone for 5 minutes when I was about 6 and could have set the house on fire

My mother had nipped next door to get something from a neighbour and I placed a teddy bear on the hearth with its back to the electric fire. I got distracted playing with something else. She returned, smelled the bear's fur singeing and rescued it.

I still have the bear today, he is darned in wool all down his head and back

As wildebus says, I think there is an element of common sense to be used here. This appears to be a case of negligence and ignorance and is NOT the same as leaving a sensible 14 year old to look after themselves in their own home for a couple of hours until the parents return.

The latter happened occasionally to me while growing up as I'm sure it also happened to loads of people in here, with no harm occurring at all.

It matters not whether the child had to be 14 or 15 to go to work either, pedantry is not really required here.
    It's not the age that's the main issue here, it's the fact that the child - or indeed anyone, regardless of age! - was left unattended with an unfamiliar dog by the dog's owner.

When something like this happens I would be inclined to destroy the owner after the dog - not seriously, but maybe slightly seriously!
    Unfortunately the latter will probably be destroyed anyway, simply as the result of having a stupid owner through no fault of its own.
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes Fisherman, delicagirl, Debroos liked this post
    Thanks Debroos thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson 510 welcome
    Oh I can here it now.

My dog would never have done a thing like that.

five years ago last February I lost my 14 year old black Labrador.
    I had to take him to the vets and have him put to sleep.
    That was about the toughest thing I ever had to do.
    That dog never even barked at anyone let alone attack anyone in his whole life.

But here's the punchline, he was a dog, not a person, and I always treated him like a dog.
    I loved him to bits, but I would never have left him alone with a child, plain and simple.
    Anyone who does this is just not thinking straight.
    If we all agreed there would be no discussion, and it would be a dull boring world.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information