CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Dogs

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    What I found strange about the reported circumstances is that, whatever happened, it occurred at 0500.

Difficult for the Police to ascertain what happened since the child is dead and the other is a dog. The family and the dog owner were apparently 'elsewhere'

Geoff

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    Under what circumstances could a child leave school at 14 to start full time work in the 50s, 60s and 70s. As school leaving age at 15 was implemented in 1947 and then raised to 16, implemented in 1972.
    I must admit I didn't google the exact dates as you have to prove your knowledge so I got it wrong saying 14 instead of 15. well done
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes trevskoda liked this post
    Thanks caledonia thanked for this post

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    I left school and started work back in the 70`s when i was still 15 due to my birthday being at the end of August.
    Trust No One

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    Of course I did but I wasn’t left alone at home when my parents went partying.
    I was

I remember my mum would go next door to the neighbours New Years Eve parties (I suppose you call it a Hogmany party as they were SCOTTISH) and leave me at home when I was 12 or so.
    And guess what. I'm still around to type this and disagree with you! (And I was very happy to be left alone as I could watch the Horror Films that the BBC always used to show then on BBC2).
    Maybe everyone wasn't as lucky to have stay at home mums, grandparents, or nannys to look after them 24/7? My grandparents were in different countries, as was my dad, and my mum had to work all kind of hours so relied on us to look after ourselves when she was not there - and I managed that just fine, thanks.

This comment - and my general comments about some rule leaving children alone under 14 has NOTHING TO DO WITH DOGS!

I am not talking about dogs, I am responding to Trevskodas comment about seeing kids under 14 being unsupervised and I am responding to say how I don't think that this is some enormous issue and is way over-legislated.
    Funny how people tend to accept some rules and laws as "oh, that is how it must be" but other laws as "bloody nanny state" when the law doesn't suit them personally. For me, this "supervise under 14 year olds" law doesn't affect me at all, buit doesn't stop me thinking it is a stupid blanket rule and takes parenting responsibilites away from the people who are best positioned to know if their 13, 12 or 11 year old is mature enough to be left alone of an evening - or for that matter if their 14, 15 or 16+ year old are not maybe - i.e. the PARENTS of the children.

And just like people who break laws because they don't respect laws, bad parents will ignore any laws like "supervise under 14 year olds" anyway, so it is the kind of law that is pointless - as those who would respect it are going to be those who don't need to be told when their child should be supervised in the first place.

Going back to the case in the caravan ... the boy was 9 - that is WELL UNDER 14, and a 9 year old child is very very unlikely to be mature enough to be left home alone.
    Should he have been left alone with that dog? Well, he shouldn't have been left alone, full stop, so that is an irrelevant question. And from I understand, NO ONE should have been left alone with that dog as it was an aggressive breed anyway. I would not want to have been left alone with that dog!
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    I was left alone for 5 minutes when I was about 6 and could have set the house on fire
    Far more adults set the house on fire then kids, coming home from the pub drunk, and putting a chip pan on and forgetting about it, or falling asleep with a lit cigarette dropping onto the settee.

Maybe there needs to be a law that adults should be breathalised before being left unsupervised?
    Likes delicagirl, trevskoda, izwozral liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    I must admit I didn't google the exact dates as you have to prove your knowledge so I got it wrong saying 14 instead of 15. well done
    Thank you. I do like to check when someone states something as a fact when I donít think it is. I would think more would do, itís not hard.
    Likes trevskoda, caledonia liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's picking on me again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    Thank you. I do like to check when someone states something as a fact when I don’t think it is. I would think more would do, it’s not hard.
    It obviously is when you see some of the rubbish that proliferates around Facebook etc.!

People usually re-post without looking at a) original the source of the post and b) whether it is reasonably factual/truthful (and that's not always easy to know or find out, to be fair)

Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes Fazerloz liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Hopefully some good comes out of this tragedy,the dangerous dogs act looks like it will be reviewed and hopefully this ridiculous piece of legislation will be replaced.
    This one paragraph gives me hope..."After the Cornwall attack the shadow environment secretary, Sue Hayman, said the act unfairly placed blame on dog breeds rather than holding pet owners responsible".

Fatal Cornwall attack sparks call to reform dangerous dog laws | UK news | The Guardian
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Whether someone is mature or old enough to be left alone in early/ teenage years is debatable, even the laws of the UK have difference in opinion In England and Wales the age of criminal responsibility is 10 their is assumption that at that age a childs critical faculty of knowing right from wrong is sufficient It is therefore logical that in terms of self preservation and excercising safety the law would choose the same age as to whether a child should be left alone. The bugbear of course is in Scotland the age of responsibility is 8 years old, Therefore a criminal charge levied against a minor in Scotland ,would not stand scrutiny in England

Age is astrange thing and I get Wildebus's point it seems crazy to me a child at 17 years 363 days it is illegal to sell alcohol , one day later serve them as much as you want. In England at least the licencing laws are so flawed but there has to be a line in the sand somewhere

As for the dog part of the equation people often say its the owner not the dog, that is not strictly speaking true. I have had dogs all my life from the day I was born various breeds ,various temperaments, I had a staffy that turned and I required hospital treatment overnight and only a bit of experience I didn't suffer worse. What was interesting Is I was talking to the vet about it and by all accounts some breeds more susceptible than others their characters can change. No one truly knows why but the vet likened it to similarity of ALzheimers or dementia in Humans a sensible theory at least

Staffordshires, German Shepherds English Bulldogs I have owned in the past and bar one none have ever given concern so I am not prejudicing any specific breed but I do know well behaved dogs can and do turn and shouldn't be left alone with children

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson 510 welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Hopefully some good comes out of this tragedy,the dangerous dogs act looks like it will be reviewed and hopefully this ridiculous piece of legislation will be replaced.
    This one paragraph gives me hope..."After the Cornwall attack the shadow environment secretary, Sue Hayman, said the act unfairly placed blame on dog breeds rather than holding pet owners responsible".

Fatal Cornwall attack sparks call to reform dangerous dog laws | UK news | The Guardian
    I love dogs, but potentially in the wrong hands they are all dangerous.
    The problem is defining what breed a dog is.
    If we all agreed there would be no discussion, and it would be a dull boring world.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information