CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 68

Thread: Dangerous Dogs

  1. #41

    Member Number
    32936
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,780
    Motorhome
    vw t5


    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    If you are caught leaving kids alone they will be taken of you and put into care,FACT,dont understand how people treat this so flippant,never mind leaving them in a caravan with a dog they do not know/vice versa.
    Kids here have to be taken to school and received by a teacher until 14.
    Why were the Mcanns never held to account when their poor daughter disappeared? This has always puzzled me? I personally hold them totally responsible for their daughters disappearance for leaving her and her siblings unsupervised in that hotel room.
    Likes trevskoda, witzend liked this post

  2. #42

    Member Number
    25133
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14,874
    Location
    Glengormley
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    Why were the Mcanns never held to account when their poor daughter disappeared? This has always puzzled me? I personally hold them totally responsible for their daughters disappearance for leaving her and her siblings unsupervised in that hotel room.
    Law may not be the same there,if they were in N/Ireland they may have been but as you know losing a child is a penalty in its self,all so sad.
    Only dirty people wash

  3. #43

    Member Number
    60568
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,728
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    If you are caught leaving kids alone they will be taken of you and put into care,FACT,dont understand how people treat this so flippant,never mind leaving them in a caravan with a dog they do not know/vice versa.
    Kids here have to be taken to school and received by a teacher until 14.
    Well not all things have changed for the better then.

    So in NI, you will never see a child under 14 years of age not being "supervised"? how old does the supervisor have to be? just older than 14? 18? 21?

    Why is having a point of view that a child is in capable of being given a degree of responsibility before the age of 14 flippant? that is daft. I would think the law in NI in likely more due to the background of the place and the Troubles rather then specifically for childrens general care

    Ref the last point, I will tell you another fact. And that is I used to walk to my primary school (in England, that meant ages 8 - 11) alone, walk back home at lunchtime for lunch, return for afternoon lessons and then walk home again after school. So well before 14. Now that school was only around 200 yards from the house so seemed perfectly fine then and would do now as well as far as I am concerned. (maybe I was more mature than my years back then? Mum and I used to listen to "just a minute" at lunchtime - not the typical thing for a 10 year old probably!)
    When I left primary school, went to Grammar School - that was a Train Ride away, and shock horror ... I went to the Train Station on my own and unaccompanied! and in that station were dozens and dozens of boys and girls of the same age, all unsupervised as well, getting a Train to either my school, or a couple of other schools in the opposite direction.

    So is it being Flippant saying this was ok? or is it just a matter of having an different opinion? What has changed in the last 40 odd years to make it so imperative that anyone under 14 must be under constant surveillance?
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone

  4. #44

    Member Number
    16509
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    17,000
    Location
    bristol
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Well not all things have changed for the better then.

    So in NI, you will never see a child under 14 years of age not being "supervised"? how old does the supervisor have to be? just older than 14? 18? 21?

    Why is having a point of view that a child is in capable of being given a degree of responsibility before the age of 14 flippant? that is daft. I would think the law in NI in likely more due to the background of the place and the Troubles rather then specifically for childrens general care

    Ref the last point, I will tell you another fact. And that is I used to walk to my primary school (in England, that meant ages 8 - 11) alone, walk back home at lunchtime for lunch, return for afternoon lessons and then walk home again after school. So well before 14. Now that school was only around 200 yards from the house so seemed perfectly fine then and would do now as well as far as I am concerned. (maybe I was more mature than my years back then? Mum and I used to listen to "just a minute" at lunchtime - not the typical thing for a 10 year old probably!)
    When I left primary school, went to Grammar School - that was a Train Ride away, and shock horror ... I went to the Train Station on my own and unaccompanied! and in that station were dozens and dozens of boys and girls of the same age, all unsupervised as well, getting a Train to either my school, or a couple of other schools in the opposite direction.

    So is it being Flippant saying this was ok? or is it just a matter of having an different opinion? What has changed in the last 40 odd years to make it so imperative that anyone under 14 must be under constant surveillance?
    what's changed is the media - we all know more than we need to and have to form opinions about all of it ! and we're basing these opinions on what we read or see in the media , which of course has it's own agenda . so i don't have many opinions any more , unless i have personal knowledge of the subject
    too blessed to be stressed
    Likes Caz, mariesnowgoose, trevskoda liked this post

  5. #45

    Member Number
    25133
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14,874
    Location
    Glengormley
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Well not all things have changed for the better then.

    So in NI, you will never see a child under 14 years of age not being "supervised"? how old does the supervisor have to be? just older than 14? 18? 21?

    Why is having a point of view that a child is in capable of being given a degree of responsibility before the age of 14 flippant? that is daft. I would think the law in NI in likely more due to the background of the place and the Troubles rather then specifically for childrens general care

    Ref the last point, I will tell you another fact. And that is I used to walk to my primary school (in England, that meant ages 8 - 11) alone, walk back home at lunchtime for lunch, return for afternoon lessons and then walk home again after school. So well before 14. Now that school was only around 200 yards from the house so seemed perfectly fine then and would do now as well as far as I am concerned. (maybe I was more mature than my years back then? Mum and I used to listen to "just a minute" at lunchtime - not the typical thing for a 10 year old probably!)
    When I left primary school, went to Grammar School - that was a Train Ride away, and shock horror ... I went to the Train Station on my own and unaccompanied! and in that station were dozens and dozens of boys and girls of the same age, all unsupervised as well, getting a Train to either my school, or a couple of other schools in the opposite direction.

    So is it being Flippant saying this was ok? or is it just a matter of having an different opinion? What has changed in the last 40 odd years to make it so imperative that anyone under 14 must be under constant surveillance?
    I dont make the laws but do have to go along with them,yes a person of 14 and over can escort a minor to school,many do if the have a younger member at second school.
    And yes when i was at primary from about 6 me and two others from my street walked half mile to school,think all the talk about perverts etc made the changes of law ,good or bad.
    The other thing is schools covering there back with hand over as litagation would clean them out if something happened.
    Only dirty people wash

  6. #46

    Member Number
    60568
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,728
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    I dont make the laws but do have to go along with them,yes a person of 14 and over can escort a minor to school,many do if the have a younger member at second school.
    And yes when i was at primary from about 6 me and two others from my street walked half mile to school,think all the talk about perverts etc made the changes of law ,good or bad.
    The other thing is schools covering there back with hand over as litagation would clean them out if something happened.
    Even though I have no children, this topic interests me and I find this notion of anyone under 14 must be supervised by law strange so I thought I would look further - and this is what I have found:

    This is from the GOV.UK webpage called "The law on leaving your child on their own"


    The law doesn’t say an age when you can leave a child on their own, but it’s an offence to leave a child alone if it places them at risk.

    Use your judgement on how mature your child is before you decide to leave them alone, eg at home or in a car.

    The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) says:

    • children under 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long period of time
    • children under 16 shouldn’t be left alone overnight
    • babies, toddlers and very young children should never be left alone



    Now it would seem from what Trevor is saying, the law in NI is very different to the rest of the UK, but it doesn't differentiate between NI and other Countries in the UK in the guideline page (and these pages usually make it clear when there are differences within the UK)

    The above rule seems to say exactly what I have been saying all along i.e. it is the chldrens parents who are best placed to decide if their child is mature enough to be left unsupervised.
    Find me on motorhomer.com, a Brexit-Free Zone
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

  7. #47

    Member Number
    25133
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14,874
    Location
    Glengormley
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Even though I have no children, this topic interests me and I find this notion of anyone under 14 must be supervised by law strange so I thought I would look further - and this is what I have found:

    This is from the GOV.UK webpage called "The law on leaving your child on their own"


    The law doesn’t say an age when you can leave a child on their own, but it’s an offence to leave a child alone if it places them at risk.

    Use your judgement on how mature your child is before you decide to leave them alone, eg at home or in a car.

    The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) says:

    • children under 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long period of time
    • children under 16 shouldn’t be left alone overnight
    • babies, toddlers and very young children should never be left alone



    Now it would seem from what Trevor is saying, the law in NI is very different to the rest of the UK, but it doesn't differentiate between NI and other Countries in the UK in the guideline page (and these pages usually make it clear when there are differences within the UK)

    The above rule seems to say exactly what I have been saying all along i.e. it is the chldrens parents who are best placed to decide if their child is mature enough to be left unsupervised.
    Law is differant here and i think scotland to,however many do not go along with it as its hard to police ex some one phones in to police or soc care,second point is that schools once kids have been received all doors are locked from outside entry and electronic opened from inside with alarms,times we live in.
    Here is what i can find and you are correct about no defined age,but its left open to wording of law which means some judge will make the dicision,seems dodgy to me and parents could be leaving themselves wide open.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by trevskoda; 16-04-2019 at 05:36.
    Only dirty people wash

  8. #48

    Member Number
    40063
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3,954
    Our boy has been going to school on his own since age 10, even with being disabled. Many others in the area did as well, some even younger. That was about 1/4 mile. Since starting secondary he's gone the mile there on his own (mostly with another boy his age) as well.

    It's not unusual, and I think good for the kids. As long as they are brought up well of course.
    Likes channa, wildebus liked this post

  9. #49

    Member Number
    25133
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14,874
    Location
    Glengormley
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    Our boy has been going to school on his own since age 10, even with being disabled. Many others in the area did as well, some even younger. That was about 1/4 mile. Since starting secondary he's gone the mile there on his own (mostly with another boy his age) as well.

    It's not unusual, and I think good for the kids. As long as they are brought up well of course.
    I agree but here all schools must have a person to hand over to school staff,same when going home,if a childs receiver does not turn up then the child is brought back into school and next of kin or other is phoned,no child is allowed to wonder of.
    Only dirty people wash

  10. #50

    Member Number
    74361
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    341
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    I was brought up by my gandparents.

    I cycled to school at ages 11, 12 and 13. The school was 7 miles away and 500ft above where we lived. My grandparents were in their 50s and 60s. Were they supposed to cycle with me?

    Most of these school regulations are tosh and nonsense for any sensible kids.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •