CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shingles... Any Tips or Advice ?

Pauljenny is offline PHEASANT PLUCKER
    Name: Where's Me- Wallet
    Spouse: Long suffering

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Indigo

Shingles... Any Tips or Advice ?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    looks like Management has the classic symptoms.
    Just 3days before our Golden Wedding party, out here.
    Not much practical advice on the NHS website and we can't dial 111 here.
    It could be an interesting few weeks... Especially as we're due to travel back to UK, in a fortnight...
    She's the driver.
    It's not where you live... It's HOW you live..

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljenny View Post
    It could be an interesting few weeks... Especially as we're due to travel back to UK, in a fortnight...
    She's the driver.
    Antiviral treatment is recommended for everyone with shingles, and is most effective when started within 72 hours after the shingles rash appears. ... Three antiviral drugs are used to treat shingles: acyclovir (brand name: Zovirax), famciclovir (brand name: Famvir), and valacyclovir (brand name: Valtrex).

The faster you treat it the better the outcome to stop long term nerve pain.
    Thanks Pauljenny thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    show your symptoms to a decent pharmacist . years ago my daughter had been having unsuccessful but painful acid drop treatment in the uk and the pharm in albufeira just looked and gave us some cream that worked immediately. as you probably know , a lot of european medecine won't pass uk regs- doesn't mean they're no good !
    another thing may be of use to others reading this thread-unless they've changed it , you can buy inhalers over the counter, and anti-biotics
    Last edited by n brown; 14-04-2019 at 14:19.
    too blessed to be stressed
    Likes trevskoda liked this post
    Thanks Pauljenny, Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    In a emergency use antihistimine tabs and witch hazel on skin.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks Pauljenny, Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljenny View Post
    She's the driver.
    Sorry to hear that, Shingles is not uncommon in older people and I have just had a Shingles injection from my GP. It is a live virus they inject, so I suppose it may not prevent Shingles, just lessen the impact. The Practice Nurse said it can be worse in the elderly, I presume she meant more painful.

I don't know if your Mrs can have the jab if she is already showing signs but it's worth asking your local Quack for an opinion.

ps: We had our Golden Wedding Party on Friday night. Old friends and relatives made it look like a Zombie apocalypse.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Peugeot Autocruse Rear Door Jobby
    Hi,

My other half had this problem a few weeks ago.

Went to doctors within the first 24hrs of rash showing, prescribed antibiotics of a large tablet variety 4 x per day for a week plus paracetamol 8 per day.

Three weeks since the rash went and still on paracetamol for the nerve pain that can last another 4/5 weeks once the rash has gone.

I expect other treatments are available but the rule appears to be get medical treatment as soon as possible or it will linger.

Boots
    Likes harrow liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    Poor Jenny. Izzy will testify how painful shingles can be. Antiviral as Harrow suggests. Give the poor lass our love.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by rulers as useful.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Thankfully not something i've come across Paul, so I can'T recommend anything except lots of TLC.

Congratulations on your Golden Anniversary.

Robina is offline Full Member
    Name: Robina
    Spouse: Neil

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach 620
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    Antiviral treatment is recommended for everyone with shingles, and is most effective when started within 72 hours after the shingles rash appears. ... Three antiviral drugs are used to treat shingles: acyclovir (brand name: Zovirax), famciclovir (brand name: Famvir), and valacyclovir (brand name: Valtrex).

The faster you treat it the better the outcome to stop long term nerve pain.
    This is the treatment my husband had a couple of years ago. To be clear, the antivirals are pills not creams. He was also prescribed low dose anti-depressants which work as painkillers at that dose but take a couple of weeks to work. He also suggests paracetamol as this seemed as good as anything for the pain. Maybe a topical over-the-counter analgesic cream but he did not try this himself.

He had a very bad attack and we paid for an injection for me as they are not free until you are 70 in the UK:-( It is well worth avoiding!

Good luck.
    Last edited by Robina; 14-04-2019 at 19:05.
    Likes Alf liked this post
    Thanks harrow, Pauljenny thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Sorry to hear paul but give her some of you booze,as one day at carrick castle a lay preacher was up on his soap box with a class of alcohol giving all damnation on the evils of drink,then producing a worm to which he dropped in and watched it disolve,he then shouted out,see what does this tell you about the evil drink,then from the back of the crowd a chap shouted out,well if you drink lots then you will never suffer from worms.
    Only dirty people wash

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information