CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57

Thread: a cure for cancer......

  1. #21

    Member Number
    55769
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    60
    Motorhome
    Frankia i650


    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekoak View Post
    Have you read the China study? That was an enormous data collection with relevance to cancer prevention and possibly cure.
    I am aware of it and its conclusions but i haven't read it. However I am very familiar with a similar comprehensive meta-analysis of cancer research which was published jointly by the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) and American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR). These studies provide conclusions regarding the effects of various diet/lifestyle components on the risk of developing certain cancers i.e. prevention and indicate whether the evidence is convincing or not. They do not, however, discuss the effects of these components on developed cancer i.e. cure.

  2. #22

    Member Number
    16698
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10,002
    Motorhome
    swift
    Hi Marie, good news that your treatment is moving forward. It may not be nice but it gives you the best chance of a cure. You never know, you may not have bad side effects, you recovered from surgery pretty quickly. No point thinking about about what ifs. I'm pretty sure that it comes back eventually but who knows how long it will take. Do you know that if there was a gold medal for worrying about anything I would be at the top of the podium, but not about my cancer coming back. If/when it does, then I will deal with it then. I refuse to let that affect me. Just think about your treatment as another step towards your recovery, and love, luck and best wishes. xx
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

  3. #23

    Member Number
    26242
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,150
    Location
    Suffolk & central Portugal
    Motorhome
    Converted Citroen relay mwb
    Hope the pre-chemo chat helped a bit. Remember that they tell you everything that MIGHT happen but most cope without all the side effects. The important thing is to let the nurses know how you feel. Take all the help and support offered especially if they offer complementary therapy sessions, and remember that it's fine to be down sometimes. If you are having Herceptin (? Monthly infusions) it is getting more normal to have this as a subcutaneous injection now especially after the first couple of IV to check tolerance, hopefully you will get that option.
    Is there a "looking good, feeling better" session offered in your area...great for giving ideas on coping with hair loss, skin and makeup..and big goody bag too.
    As Yorklass said, look at each session as a step forward to recovery.
    ​Ruth
    Likes delicagirl, yorkslass, trixie88, jeanette liked this post

  4. #24

    Member Number
    22267
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,625
    There you are Marie, Ruth has told you, get down that hospital and get that treatment started.

    Ruth has not told you that if the patients don't turn up, the nurses eat chocolate all day looking at facebook and book foreign holidays on their band 6 wages !

    Save a nurse from getting fat today, keep them busy !
    Likes delicagirl, yorkslass, jeanette, Alf liked this post

  5. #25
    mariesnowgoose's Avatar
    mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's going bald too

    Member Number
    22098
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,910
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by REC View Post
    Hope the pre-chemo chat helped a bit. Remember that they tell you everything that MIGHT happen but most cope without all the side effects. The important thing is to let the nurses know how you feel. Take all the help and support offered especially if they offer complementary therapy sessions, and remember that it's fine to be down sometimes. If you are having Herceptin (? Monthly infusions) it is getting more normal to have this as a subcutaneous injection now especially after the first couple of IV to check tolerance, hopefully you will get that option.
    Is there a "looking good, feeling better" session offered in your area...great for giving ideas on coping with hair loss, skin and makeup..and big goody bag too.
    As Yorklass said, look at each session as a step forward to recovery.
    Thanks for that Ruth.

    Unfortunately I have a problem with the 'pamper' stuff. Also they definitely DON'T tell you everything that might happen, at least not where I am. The pre-chemo nurse rushed through everything at speed, couldn't answer several questions and responded with 'you'll have to ask the oncologist that' over and over. Well then, how do I get to speak to the oncologist? Well she's a very busy person, you'll see her after you first chemo session (!). Probably be another rushed 10 minute session, if that. Oh, right, that's OK then - NOT!!!!!!!

    Think I'm repeating myself, but I get the impression you'd get someone spending more time and trouble explaining stuff if you go buy a second hand car than the limited and rushed 10-15 minutes you get with highly paid consultants supposedly expert in a life threatening disease.

    I met two women yesterday, one was the wig nurse I had a session with, the other a random patient who happened to be at the desk in front of me asking for a sleeve for her arm (lymphodema).

    The random patient phoned me last night and I got her full story, lovely lady, horrendous side effects from treatment 4 years ago, too long to list here. She was misinformed - or NOT informed - on certain subjects which has had a big impact on the quality of her life subsequent to the chemo.

    The wig nurse also has problems. She was treated just under 2 years ago and has had 3 bone scans since as suspected cancer return, also other pretty debilitating health conditions as a result of the chemo.

    The random patient has advised me to ask GP to refer me to the Freeman and seek second opinion from another consultant she has recommended. The random patient initially had the same oncologist I've currently got. Suffice to say that the opinions are not good and there are a lots more poor opinions of her, apparently.

    Channa has said a few times that you are given information of a need to know basis. With a disease like cancer - or any other disease for that matter - you need as many of the facts up front as you can in order to make a properly informed decision, not drip fed a bit here and a bit there as you go along. The system completely sucks.

    Onwards and upwards? Absolutely, but it will be at a pace and in a direction of my own choosing from now on. It's my body and my life while I still have it and no one - and I mean no one! - is going to treat me like a piece of meat in a sausage machine

    So chemo is not starting next week and I'm very sorry harrow but my Harley is not up for grabs - it went several years ago

    And no, I'm not dead yet (unless, of course, I have an unexpected heart attack or something) and neither do I expect to die suddenly from cancer overnight
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes delicagirl, harrow, yorkslass, jeanette liked this post
    Thanks harrow thanked for this post

  6. #26

    Member Number
    46529
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,600
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    Thanks for that Ruth.

    Unfortunately I have a problem with the 'pamper' stuff. Also they definitely DON'T tell you everything that might happen, at least not where I am. The pre-chemo nurse rushed through everything at speed, couldn't answer several questions and responded with 'you'll have to ask the oncologist that' over and over. Well then, how do I get to speak to the oncologist? Well she's a very busy person, you'll see her after you first chemo session (!). Probably be another rushed 10 minute session, if that. Oh, right, that's OK then - NOT!!!!!!!

    Think I'm repeating myself, but I get the impression you'd get someone spending more time and trouble explaining stuff if you go buy a second hand car than the limited and rushed 10-15 minutes you get with highly paid consultants supposedly expert in a life threatening disease.

    I met two women yesterday, one was the wig nurse I had a session with, the other a random patient who happened to be at the desk in front of me asking for a sleeve for her arm (lymphodema).

    The random patient phoned me last night and I got her full story, lovely lady, horrendous side effects from treatment 4 years ago, too long to list here. She was misinformed - or NOT informed - on certain subjects which has had a big impact on the quality of her life subsequent to the chemo.

    The wig nurse also has problems. She was treated just under 2 years ago and has had 3 bone scans since as suspected cancer return, also other pretty debilitating health conditions as a result of the chemo.

    The random patient has advised me to ask GP to refer me to the Freeman and seek second opinion from another consultant she has recommended. The random patient initially had the same oncologist I've currently got. Suffice to say that the opinions are not good and there are a lots more poor opinions of her, apparently.

    Channa has said a few times that you are given information of a need to know basis. With a disease like cancer - or any other disease for that matter - you need as many of the facts up front as you can in order to make a properly informed decision, not drip fed a bit here and a bit there as you go along. The system completely sucks.

    Onwards and upwards? Absolutely, but it will be at a pace and in a direction of my own choosing from now on. It's my body and my life while I still have it and no one - and I mean no one! - is going to treat me like a piece of meat in a sausage machine

    So chemo is not starting next week and I'm very sorry harrow but my Harley is not up for grabs - it went several years ago

    And no, I'm not dead yet (unless, of course, I have an unexpected heart attack or something) and neither do I expect to die suddenly from cancer overnight

    i so admire your courage Marie.... and may you find a place and the treatment you want and which will give you as much time as is possible to get....... stick to your guns.... it is our body and the NHS is so overwhelmed they have little time to answer questions in some hospitals. do you have the funds for an initial private consultation with the best oncologist your GP can reccomend... the old boys network" know who is a good doctor and who is mediocre.. but of course they wont name names..... maybe just say you would like a second opinion from a Consultant who has been around for a long time and you will pay if necessary - see what his response is..... Dont forget you have the right to choose which hospital you get treated at... could you take the camper and go to Yorkshire where Channa is being treated ? i dont even know if that is possible... but they say "Patient Choice" on the forms you fill in for your choice of hospital ..... best wishes
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

  7. #27

    Member Number
    22267
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,625
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    So chemo is not starting next week and I'm very sorry harrow but my Harley is not up for grabs - it went several years ago

    And no, I'm not dead yet (unless, of course, I have an unexpected heart attack or something) and neither do I expect to die suddenly from cancer overnight
    What no harley davidson I was looking forward to that !

    About the explanations your getting, I can remember the official conversation I had in 2015.

    Doctor, yes its very bad news your cancer is extremely aggressive, so I asked questions.

    Doctor, replies, you have too many questions, Macmillan nurse hands me the cancer pack folder.

    Doctor says, I have to see the next patient !

    Yes that was mine and it was total crap !
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post

  8. #28

    Member Number
    22267
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,625
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    i so admire your courage Marie.... and may you find a place and the treatment you want and which will give you as much time as is possible to get....... stick to your guns.... it is our body and the NHS is so overwhelmed they have little time to answer questions in some hospitals. do you have the funds for an initial private consultation with the best oncologist your GP can reccomend... the old boys network" know who is a good doctor and who is mediocre.. but of course they wont name names..... maybe just say you would like a second opinion from a Consultant who has been around for a long time and you will pay if necessary - see what his response is..... Dont forget you have the right to choose which hospital you get treated at... could you take the camper and go to Yorkshire where Channa is being treated ? i dont even know if that is possible... but they say "Patient Choice" on the forms you fill in for your choice of hospital ..... best wishes
    Sorry there is no choose and book with cancer treatment.
    Last edited by harrow; 25-05-2019 at 14:06. Reason: O
    Likes channa liked this post

  9. #29

    Member Number
    27293
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    329
    Motorhome
    Hymer B660SL
    Hi Marie, have they told you about Chemo Brain, I wasn't told, but some Chemo treatments can and do affect the brain, it might be worth looking it up so you can ask the questions about the Chemo you're having.

    Personally until I see some fully documented and researched scientific proof I'm very wary of so called cancer cures, there are around 250 different cancers so it's unlikely there is one cure that works for all.









    Urology nurses just take the pee.

  10. #30
    mariesnowgoose's Avatar
    mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's going bald too

    Member Number
    22098
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,910
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by 1807truckman View Post
    Hi Marie, have they told you about Chemo Brain, I wasn't told, but some Chemo treatments can and do affect the brain, it might be worth looking it up so you can ask the questions about the Chemo you're having.

    Personally until I see some fully documented and researched scientific proof I'm very wary of so called cancer cures, there are around 250 different cancers so it's unlikely there is one cure that works for all.

    There isn't any cure for cancer. Chemotherapy & radiotherapy is all there is where mainstream medical treatments are concerned and most of the time the cancer returns anyway at some stage, then more chemotherapy and so on until the end of the line is reached. So chemotherapy & radiotherapy isn't a cure either in the long run.

    You might be lucky and get away without cancer returning for a couple of years, or be very lucky and it's several years, but your body could potentially be damaged quite considerably in all sorts of ways after the end of the chemo & radiotherapy treatments.

    I still have time to make my mind up. The 'official' guidleines say starting chemo too many days after you've had a tumour surgically removed makes the treatment less effective in the long run. Why do I find that statement difficult to believe?! Cancer doesn't magically appear overnight (at least not to the naked eye) it has been building up in your system for some years beforehand. The chemo nurse (if she is to be believed) assured me that the chemo should be enough to kill everything off regardless. Unless she is perchance lying?

    So waiting 2 more weeks until I've had some necessary dental work done first doesn't seem too big a risk to me, especially as the risk of having dental work, particularly tooth extraction, is highly dangerous for at least 5 years after chemo according to the oncologist. The lady I spoke to at the clinic yesterday hadn't been warned about dental work. Since having chemo 4 years ago she has then spent 18 months of those 4 years 'in hell' (her words not mine) when she lost several teeth. She also has neurological damage, lymphoma, deafness, numbness in hands and feet, the list goes on.

    You're effectively handed a death sentence once tumours are spotted over a certain size. The question then is do you want to risk potentially chronic physical damage to your body which affects your quality of life quite badly subsequently, or do you want to take your chances and let whatever will be be?

    It's a very, very hard call.
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •