CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: a cure for cancer......

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    There is no 'cure' for cancer. Takes a wee while to finally get your head around that.
    It's a game changer, a life changer, it's like no other illness.

Well, 'cures' perhaps for a few types - certain leukemias or Hodgkins - and maybe breast cancer, but only if caught early enough.
    I know this as fact. I've just now finished reading the History of Cancer

For the rest of us cancer folk there is only nasty mainstream treatments (chemo & radiotherapy) and other drugs which will hopefully put you into remission or control the cancer/attempt to stop it coming back (no guarantees) and for most case scenarios you have to stay on treatment drugs for many years afterwards, often for life (again no guarantees).

Plus you have to accept you are likely to be living with at least some long term effects after treatment is finished. The one that seems to affect everyone universally is fatigue, to a greater or less degree. Some of the other effects are pretty nasty too. You really don't want to know ...!

The 'alternative' non-drug based treatments aren't properly proven either, apart from individual/anecdotal incidents. And what is claimed has worked for one person, absolutely no guarantee it will work for another. You have to take a real big leap of faith going down that route.

So it's chemo for me, folks. Reinforced knickers at the ready. May be starting next week. Having a tooth extraction tomorrow, as advised by the oncologist. Dangerous to have teeth out after treatment starts, says oncologist. The same sh*t* oncologist who contradicts her own advice and doesn't appear to know what the other members of her 'multidisciplinary team' have arranged for you. Such is the state of our wonderful, desperately run down NHS, folks, at least it is where I am. You have to keep an eagle eye out at every stage, especially when your very life is in their hands - make sure you watch what the b**g*rs are up to!

Other than that I am currently feeling as fit as a fiddle, best I have done for a long time. Not for long! I'm also on a brilliant diet that I'll be mostly living with forever. Hopefully things I've learned over the last few weeks will help tide me through and alleviate/counteract some of the horrors awaiting my immune system & organs.

I will report back in when I have something good and positive to say further down the line
    please tell us the less positive bits also marie.... if it feels right for you of course ... but it could help others get a fuller picture if they are facing the same treatments......

maybe you could tell us little about the brilliant diet ?

very best wishes
    Likes trixie88 liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by n brown View Post
    had an interesting experience yesterday,went for a colonoscopy and managed to watch the whole [hole] thing live on the telly. never having looked up my own or anyone else's bumhole i felt strangely privileged watching the surgeon removing a couple of dodgy polyps. feels like another hurdle handled !
    my sister got the wrong end of the stick and asked if the procedure had had any effect on my vocal chords ! is she saying i talk through my arse ?
    for what it's worth my chemo experience went from '' what's the fuss about ?'' through ''this feels weird '', then ''i feel crap'' to starting to feel better as soon as it stops.
    the fatigue is a problem but in my case i just try to do stuff when i feel ok, and try to keep walking and thinking
    next stop radiography -the fun never stops !
    It feels good when the camera comes out !

I have got to the age where I grow polyps but its all part of the game !
    Likes n brown, mariesnowgoose liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's going bald too

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    please tell us the less positive bits also marie.... if it feels right for you of course ... but it could help others get a fuller picture if they are facing the same treatments......

maybe you could tell us little about the brilliant diet ?

very best wishes
    A friend (New York Jewess, been living in England for many years) bought a book specially and had it delivered to me as a present.

She read it years ago (she has her own copy). Although she has never had cancer of any kind it had a profound effect on her and she took on board what the author talked about and adopted a lot of what she recommended into her lifestyle.

The book is called Your Life In Your Hands – Understanding, Preventing And Overcoming Breast Cancer by Jane Plant (2000)
    Jane Plant - Wikipedia
    There's a bit about her on Wikipedia. Note this book was published 19 years ago.
    Personally I think she was way ahead of her time with some of the conclusions she draws, and not just about cancer.
    Conclusions that more people are only really becoming conscious of today (plastic pollution, effects of chemicals on health, sea pollution and fish etc).

As with everything in life, there are people who diss her book, and others like her no doubt, as 'quackery', especially on the mainstream cancer charity sites like Cancer Research UK etc.

I would like to bet none of the 'dissers' have actually read it. Interesting that I visited the wonderful Maggies cancer centre opposite the Freeman hospital in Newcastle yesterday and guess what?? They had several of Jane Plants books on their library shelves, so her ideas can't be that controversial

I found all the things she talked about made sense, and while I might not believe that diet alone can defeat cancer once you've got it - very difficult to shut the stable door once the horse has bolted! - eating in order to prevent an illness does make sense.

Her chapter on Dairy (and red meat) is fascinating - and also makes sense! If what she says is true then heaven help us if Brexit happens and we do a trade deal with the US. A lot of their mass produced food products absolutely stink, health-wise, particularly dairy and meat. If we think we have an obesity crisis in the UK now, just wait and see what might be happening further down the line!

Anyway, ideas on food and what we should/shouldn't eat vary enormously.

I've never been on any kind of 'diet' in my life, but one thing for certain - cancer really concentrates the mind!

So I've been following my own diet (with lots of common sense) for the last 3 weeks, loosely based on what Jane Plant (and a couple of others) recommends. Had no difficulty sticking to it whatsoever, never felt hungry, and feel a 100 times better and fitter. Shame the chemo will be destroying all the good work, but I intend to stick with the right food stuffs ongoing regardless.

She even has a suggestion for what she ate during chemo that stopped her from losing her hair.
    Got to be worth a try? Nothing to lose, even if it doesn't work - at least it won't give me any of the nasty side effects chemo probably will!

It will be my own wee 'mini trial'
    Last edited by mariesnowgoose; 04-06-2019 at 16:48.
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes harrow, jeanette, delicagirl, REC liked this post
    Thanks yorkslass, jeanette, trixie88 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Try and have your fruit and veg and whatever protein you fancy.

For me healthy food seems to be just jumping up in price, all the rubbish is much cheaper, you can only have so many tins of beans before the neighbors start complaining !

I guess its the same with sprouts !
    Thanks delicagirl thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Just been reading about Jane Plant...again. I came across her thoughts when David was diagnosed, and also Otto Warburgs theory about reducing sugar in our diet. A healthy diet can only help, but alongside conventional treatment. Glad your going belt and braces Marie, it's got to be the best way to stop it, I must say though, I think once you've had, there is always the potential for it to return. I think the problem is that while there is loads of research into "cures" there doesn't seem to be much about the causes, I think your right about plastics and toxins being major factors, but how can you avoid it? It's in the air we breathe and most food packaging.
    Btw, good luck when you start your treatment,
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post
    Thanks mariesnowgoose, delicagirl, trixie88 thanked for this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's going bald too

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    We'll look back in a few years time and be amazed at how barbaric current conventional treatments were

Ah, well. Beggars can't be choosers. Just hope and pray I withstand the onslaught and don't suffer too many side effects - particularly the nasty long term ones. Scary scary s-s-s-scary.

I'm such a wimp when it comes right down to it
    Like I said a while back - I'm gonna be worse than a man with man flu!
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes 1807truckman liked this post
    Thanks delicagirl, yorkslass, trixie88 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    We'll look back in a few years time and be amazed at how barbaric current conventional treatments were

Ah, well. Beggars can't be choosers. Just hope and pray I withstand the onslaught and don't suffer too many side effects - particularly the nasty long term ones. Scary scary s-s-s-scary.

I'm such a wimp when it comes right down to it
    Like I said a while back - I'm gonna be worse than a man with man flu!
    Marie it doesn’t seem right that I like this so I will wish you all the very best and a speedy recovery also that you keep your hair!!
    Likes delicagirl, trixie88 liked this post
    Thanks mariesnowgoose thanked for this post

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information