CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how do you know when your dog is old?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    B544

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    molly is 8 a 32kg setter over the last couple of years her weight has crept up slowly we noticed this when she has her biannual check up to return home, content to lay quietly most of the time but when her lead and ball come out she prances around like a puppy, i had pneumonia last year and for 3 months she was only walked around the park on a lead by jan when we went away in september and i was slinging her ball & she went back to 5 mile runs the first few days we were very worried without realising the cause but she soon got back fit again and is now keen to go!,
    Thanks MarkJ thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2010 IH Tio RL... Love it!
    Our Jess was a Border Terrier and at 14.1/2 years old she sadly expired and had been diagnosed with a brain tumour which explained her doing out of character stuff and becoming increasingly deaf and blind. She was still game for walks right to the end but they were shorter than when she was young. She was not as agile at styles and gates but managed ok.
    The signs were of a gradual decline up until the last 4-5 months then the tumour made her do daft stuff like pee in the house after a walk and she would just wander off if left off the lead, at her age, the treatment sounded a bit tough and the prognosis not good so it was hard to say goodbye to a faithful old friend, but was the kindest thing to do. With Borders you never got any indication they might be in pain... She was hard as coffin nails. In her days she had crested every peak in the Lake District and a number of Munroes. We were often asked " how did she get up here?"
    Very sadly missed...

K
    Thanks yorkslass, MarkJ thanked for this post

Member Number
    I love the dog stories,

do we adopt dogs or do they adopt us ?

I think the dogs are like us, we all get a bit slower as we get older.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    I love the dog stories,

Spot on....
    Likes harrow, wildcampnewbie liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    I love the dog stories,

They (given the option) usually choose us....

Many many years back when I left home and moved onto a narrow boat, decided I wanted a, dog of my own....
    Grew up learning to walk using one, of our rough collies as, a walker (and landed on her several times when I crawled out of my pram)

Looked through the local 'loot' fre ads paper and found a dog advertised to a good home....
    Arranged to go and see her (loverly border collie Cross) and turns out to be with a lad I used to play out with as a kid and hadn't seen for years....
    His girlfriend had rescued her from a bag in the local park.... And the girlfriend lived in the house I was born in in 1966....

Fate? Maybe....
    She was a cracking dog though... And lived a very full life...
    One of our current whippets we got after losing my previous, blue girl suddenly (broke my heart to bits and I swore NEVER again)...

Not long after we lost my Mum (Barbara) I spotted a Whippet up for rehoming on one of the whippety rehoming groups...
    Arranged to just go and "have a look"....
    Turned up to meet her and she had been named Babs by the rehoming folks....
    And was, a complete sweety....
    Fate?
    Coincidence?
    Planets aligning OR her choosing me?

Dunno.... And frankly I've got my suspicions ;-)

Thanks harrow thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    My wee Corrie just fakes a sore paw when she cant be bothered. Shes a ten year old lab collie cross and more intelligent than both my sons put together. 😇
    Likes harrow, shaunr68, MarkJ, wildcampnewbie liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Years ago at school I remember being taught about Pavlov and his bells, which he rang to attract the dogs at feed time, all to do with conditioning

But who is conditioning who ?

Leon my German Pointer is I suspect 11 now and the last 12 months has seen him calm down, He lies about all day making the place look untidy, But at teatimes like a clock normally a little whine comes up and starts nuzzling me with his snout My cue he wants feeding and letting out or fresh water

So who is conditioning who here ? He knows bloody well how to work me, Better at it than the wife ever was

Channa
    Likes harrow, MarkJ, wildcampnewbie liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    I am not as confident as I was either of us could do this nowadays, Reminds me of the mental note I made NEVER challenge a water dog to a swim fooling about in Lac du Cassian in France on a teambuilding day Leon decided he was very much part of the team or pack !

leonme.jpg

Come early evening time for a little football on TV then we have the battle of the "Spot "

leonme.jpg

Not many things I worry about nowadays but the welfare of my dog should I fall off my perch is one of them. Best pal is my dog he really is

Channa
    Likes shaunr68, MarkJ, wildcampnewbie liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    too blessed to be stressed
    Likes channa, harrow, yorkslass, jeanette liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Chic C-Line 4.9
    When hes a pup and when hes old he will pee on the carpet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information