CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how do you know when your dog is old?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson 510 welcome

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Your dog is well over weight, and labs suffer from serious problems with their joints even if not over weight.
    The problem with dogs is like all animals they canít tell you whatís wrong, but an eight year old lab should still be fit. Mine was going up hills till he was thirteen.

I would cut back on his food, and feed him only once a day as recommended by vets.
    Cut out all of the biscuits and the treats.
    Get him into the water, they love swimming, and itís good exercise for an over weight dog.
    I know it will seem cruel and he wonít understand, but you will be doing your best friend a big favour.

Also get him checked out for hip dysphasia and arthritis.
    If we all agreed there would be no discussion, and it would be a dull boring world.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs globetrotter lxi
    When the taxidermist asks do you want him in a sitting or standing pose. Sorry 😐
    OOR WUSSY
    Likes n brown, MarkJ liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    swift
    Quote Originally Posted by Wully View Post
    When the taxidermist asks do you want him in a sitting or standing pose. Sorry ��
    :
    Likes MarkJ liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW crafter
    Often overlooked, maybe his feet are sore?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Your dog is well over weight.
    ... not according to the vets. He's an oversized retriever and his target weight is 40-41kg. Last time we weighed him he was 43kg, but it varies between 41 and 43 - being 43 in winter when he gets less exercise.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    Quote Originally Posted by guerdeval View Post
    Often overlooked, maybe his feet are sore?
    Yes, we wondered, but they seem OK and he's not limping at all.

If only they could tell us?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    HYMER ML I
    Feed him proper do food, not any biscuits but proper real meat, cheap mince and scraps from a butchers and he will soon pick up and the excess weight fall off. I gave my last dog Tripe and he loved it..
    Meat Fat and no carbs will have any excess weight off any chubby owners too.
    Dog Biscuits are why so many labs are fat, they are always hungry because the carbs go straight to the fat cells and nothing for energy so they are always hungry, viscious circle formed.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    Quote Originally Posted by GWAYGWAY View Post
    Feed him proper do food, not any biscuits but proper real meat, cheap mince and scraps from a butchers and he will soon pick up and the excess weight fall off. I gave my last dog Tripe and he loved it..
    Meat Fat and no carbs will have any excess weight off any chubby owners too.
    Dog Biscuits are why so many labs are fat, they are always hungry because the carbs go straight to the fat cells and nothing for energy so they are always hungry, viscious circle formed.
    Indeed. He has only weighed out top quality kibble, plus the same treats every day.

Those big brown eyes try to make us feel guilty but weíre almost entirely immune by now!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    You say your Dog has recently been walking in the Peak District and now seems lazy. If I were you I would get your Vet to do some blood tests. The Dog may have picked up a Tick (or 2) and may be having a reaction to that. There are other conditions than can be contracted in the countryside also.
    Likes Sharon the Cat liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    One of our dogs, who'd always been 100% fit and well, suddenly started peeing in the house... he was 12. The vet couldn't find anything wrong and wondered if it was territorial... our brand new neighbours had 3 cats, so it made sense. Then we noticed Sam often stood stock still, with his head very slightly down and cocked, staring at absolutely nothing for several minutes. It took a while for the vet to diagnose and spot because of the position but they eventually found a tumour nestled amongst his organs... it was too late for anything other than palliative care. He was given painkillers and we realised the staring into space had been him experiencing pain, poor mite. We decided after a day or so to say goodbye to him... couldn't bear to see him in pain if the medicine wore off.

My son's friend had a very elderly dog... over 15 if memory serves. She was content enough but had got very stiff and slow. As most dogs do, she used to turn a circle before settling down for a sleep with her back to a safe spot. One day they watched her oh so slowly plodding round in circle after circle after circle. When my son queried if she was OK, his friend said "Yeah, she's chasing her tail"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information