CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: how do you know when your dog is old?

  1. #1

    Member Number
    46672
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    418
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel

    how do you know when your dog is old?



    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Our retriever, Sam, is 8 next month. He's huge for his breed at 43kg. We've noticed over the last few months that he's not been so keen to go on long walks. On our last trip, to the Peak District, he did some nice walks with us on Day 1 and 2, but Day 3 was a sit-down strike. And at home he seems a bit lazy too.

    He's not ill, so we were wondering whether he's just getting old and cranky, therefore fitting in the van's other inhabitants perfectly. Is 8 too young for a dog to feel old?

  2. #2

    Member Number
    44641
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,733
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Never had a dog that's given up on walks, at least not until they've been near to end. At 43kg is he just over weight?

  3. #3

    Member Number
    29649
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    386
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Starspirit
    overweight and putting pressure on his joints, possibly arthritic, so pain a factor. try cutting his food down and possibly discuss with a hydrotherapist

  4. #4

    Member Number
    68217
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    138
    Location
    Co. Down
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598PL
    Our retriever is 9.5 years, and still often acts like a pup, but equally happy to laze about, especially on cold or wet days. I dare not put a hat or jacket on but he is ready to go with his front feet dancing or marking time. Will take mountain walks anytime but usually an hour along the promenade and parks.

    He is dry fed twice a day, one cup, occasional left overs but still you can feel his ribs. He will not steal food or beg when in the kitchen or we are eating (training). Not sure of his weight at present but he is due his annual vaccinations soon and will no doubt be on the scales. Past weights have been fine.

    He has been fortunate with good health.

    Davy

  5. #5

    Member Number
    27049
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,312
    Motorhome
    autotrail imala715
    I had a Springer whom we eventually put to sleep as he had reached the grand age of 17.
    He just didn't have the energy anymore plus other issues.
    Age span sometimes dependant on the breed.
    I would certainly get him looked at
    You know you,re middle aged when the dog lets you get to the stick first.

  6. #6

    Member Number
    46672
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    418
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    Quote Originally Posted by colinmd View Post
    Never had a dog that's given up on walks, at least not until they've been near to end. At 43kg is he just over weight?
    No, hes just a big dog, several inches over the breed standard max height. Ideal weight (says the vet) is about 40 to 41kg... when he feels like it he runs, skips, jumps over styles- but increasingly he likes shorter walks, it seems.

  7. #7

    Member Number
    46672
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    418
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamRienza View Post
    Our retriever is 9.5 years, and still often acts like a pup, but equally happy to laze about, especially on cold or wet days. I dare not put a hat or jacket on but he is ready to go with his front feet dancing or marking time. Will take mountain walks anytime but usually an hour along the promenade and parks.

    He is dry fed twice a day, one cup, occasional left overs but still you can feel his ribs. He will not steal food or beg when in the kitchen or we are eating (training). Not sure of his weight at present but he is due his annual vaccinations soon and will no doubt be on the scales. Past weights have been fine.

    He has been fortunate with good health.

    Davy
    Ah, Sam positions himself so he can see you getting ready. Coat on, boots on, treats in pocket, bags in the other pocket, pick up the lead - then he ambles up to join you...all in good time. Dog time.

  8. #8

    Member Number
    46672
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    418
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    Quote Originally Posted by clf86ha View Post
    overweight and putting pressure on his joints, possibly arthritic, so pain a factor. try cutting his food down and possibly discuss with a hydrotherapist
    Hes not overweight by more than a kilo or so, if that, last time we weighed him. Just v large for his breed.

  9. #9

    Member Number
    15646
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,200
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper Trooper LE
    My Reg has got noticeably older in the last year. He gets very tired and limps now if we have a walk longer than a couple of miles - he used to be fine after much longer walks. I think he is 10, coming up 11 this year, an English Springer Spaniel. He is large as Springers go, weight now is 26 Kgs (he was 23.5 when I got him 3 years ago).

    Vet says he isn't overweight, he has arthritis - he was just on supplements (Youmove) but recently has been given a newly developed painkiller, one tablet a day, to see if that helps.

    Bigger breeds age more quickly than small ones.

  10. #10

    Member Number
    44678
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    10,625
    Motorhome
    Swift Gazelle
    Our other dog was 17 when we sadly had to have her put to sleep due to a few strokes but just before that she would act like a pup when we picked her lead up but some days she just wanted to stay in the house and her walks got shorter
    Likes rockape liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •