CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Data breach?

  1. #1

    Member Number
    7973
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,429
    Motorhome
    Burstner

    Data breach?



    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Yesterday I got an email from Amazon, suspending my account due to unauthorised access. Three items showed up as bought without my knowledge but stopped before payment was made. My Daughter has just been here and guess what? Her Amazon account has been suspended. Not only for the same reason but the same 3 items were ordered.

    Has anyone else had this? I have a feeling that it could be down to hacking of accounts on a large scale so be careful out there and change your password or email address (or both).
    Thanks robell, harrow, delicagirl, watchthis thanked for this post

  2. #2

    Member Number
    25133
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,303
    Location
    Glengormley
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Yesterday I got an email from Amazon, suspending my account due to unauthorised access. Three items showed up as bought without my knowledge but stopped before payment was made. My Daughter has just been here and guess what? Her Amazon account has been suspended. Not only for the same reason but the same 3 items were ordered.

    Has anyone else had this? I have a feeling that it could be down to hacking of accounts on a large scale so be careful out there and change your password or email address (or both).
    Use linux at your end and then all fault lies with them if there so daft to use windows servers,on linux you can scramble all you folders so only you can read them,total nonsense to anyone else.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes maingate liked this post

  3. #3

    Member Number
    7973
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,429
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Use linux at your end and then all fault lies with them if there so daft to use windows servers,on linux you can scramble all you folders so only you can read them,total nonsense to anyone else.
    Thanks Trev. I am particularly skilled at total nonsense.

  4. #4

    Member Number
    25133
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,303
    Location
    Glengormley
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Thanks Trev. I am particularly skilled at total nonsense.
    Iv got six a levels in it,never got to b yet.
    Only dirty people wash

  5. #5

    Member Number
    40063
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,001
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Yesterday I got an email from Amazon, suspending my account due to unauthorised access. Three items showed up as bought without my knowledge but stopped before payment was made. My Daughter has just been here and guess what? Her Amazon account has been suspended. Not only for the same reason but the same 3 items were ordered.

    Has anyone else had this? I have a feeling that it could be down to hacking of accounts on a large scale so be careful out there and change your password or email address (or both).
    Have you actually tried to log in to Amazon via a web page? Do NOT click a link in the email...
    Likes trevskoda, TJBi liked this post

  6. #6

    Member Number
    7973
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,429
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    Have you actually tried to log in to Amazon via a web page? Do NOT click a link in the email...
    The first I knew about it was when Amazon informed me my account was suspended. I don't believe the breach was of my doing. That's because my Daughter had exactly the same problem (account frozen, same 3 items 'bought' by the illegal user).

    I never click on links in emails, even when I get emails from reputable companies (if you can call Paypal etc. reputable) I always go to their website directly instead. I have to say that I never get spam or phishing emails anymore, I get my email via Yahoo (I have a Sky email address) but I can also get it from other sources (Microsoft Edge and on a Linux Netbook). My biggest worry about internet purchases is with private companies, you don't know who you are dealing with and have less comeback if they are crooks. People criticise the likes of Paypal, Amazon and ebay but they do give more chance of help if it goes wrong. In fact I have had help from both Amazon and ebay and it was sorted quickly (neither occasion involved large sums of money).

    Anyway I phoned Amazon UK today and it was sorted out with a phone call quickly. The reason I could not do it online myself last night was that a security question they asked me was impossible to answer. They wanted to know the expiry date of a Visa card I had used in the past. Difficult to know on an old, expired card that was cut up and binned a long time ago.
    Likes trevskoda, watchthis, delicagirl liked this post

  7. #7

    Member Number
    26242
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,150
    Location
    Suffolk & central Portugal
    Motorhome
    Converted Citroen relay mwb
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    The first I knew about it was when Amazon informed me my account was suspended. I don't believe the breach was of my doing. That's because my Daughter had exactly the same problem (account frozen, same 3 items 'bought' by the illegal user).

    I never click on links in emails, even when I get emails from reputable companies (if you can call Paypal etc. reputable) I always go to their website directly instead. I have to say that I never get spam or phishing emails anymore, I get my email via Yahoo (I have a Sky email address) but I can also get it from other sources (Microsoft Edge and on a Linux Netbook). My biggest worry about internet purchases is with private companies, you don't know who you are dealing with and have less comeback if they are crooks. People criticise the likes of Paypal, Amazon and ebay but they do give more chance of help if it goes wrong. In fact I have had help from both Amazon and ebay and it was sorted quickly (neither occasion involved large sums of money).

    Anyway I phoned Amazon UK today and it was sorted out with a phone call quickly. The reason I could not do it online myself last night was that a security question they asked me was impossible to answer. They wanted to know the expiry date of a Visa card I had used in the past. Difficult to know on an old, expired card that was cut up and binned a long time ago.

    Actually, it is good practice to remove details of any cards you no longer use on your Amazon account. I had similar problem as I had used my mum's card to make a purchase on my prime account. When abroad I had to reset my password, and they, of course, wanted details of the one card on my account which is not in my name! I have now removed all old, lost, and cancelled cards!
    ​Ruth

  8. #8

    Member Number
    25133
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,303
    Location
    Glengormley
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Bring all your mail through thunderbird,i have 5 running on it.
    Only dirty people wash

  9. #9

    Member Number
    40063
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,001
    My point is, was your account actually suspended? Or was the email you had just a phishing scam?

    When you say Amazon informed you the account was suspended, how did they do that?
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

  10. #10

    Member Number
    7973
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,429
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    My point is, was your account actually suspended? Or was the email you had just a phishing scam?

    When you say Amazon informed you the account was suspended, how did they do that?
    They informed me by email.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •