CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 'D' Day

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Yes died in a car crash pissed out of his scull,people were so scared of him they stood back and did not help,there was talk he was gay which inthose days would explains the strange behaviour.
    Paddy Mayne? Tough bastard, one of those marvellous maverick soldiers in the British forces during the second world war. From Wingate, Mad Jack Churchill, Carton de Wiart ("Frankly I had enjoyed the war"), Douglas Bader who was by all accounts a horrible man but what a legend, Bill Millin who piped the Commandos ashore on D-Day, Mad Mike Calvert of the Chindits. Mad as a box of frogs the lot of 'em but real characters.

Who was the fella with the British 1st Airborne at Arnhem, they had been surrounded by the SS for days, heavily outnumbered and the Germans sent a message saying that they were willing to discuss a surrender. He sent a message back saying "We haven't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner! Sorry!
    https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/
    Likes harrow, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Dont forget James Joseph Magennis from belfast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes shaunr68 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    Y'know when I started this thread it was mostly for personal reasons, being that I had never really known my father even though we had been a family until I was 21. His history only came to light after he had died. He, like so many others, was unable to share his wartime memories with those around him until this lovely old French woman sought him out in order to complete her own family history for the book that she was writing. It has been wonderful to read from you, my friends, your own family memories, which may not always have been good, but have been part of what makes us what we are.
    When life gives you lemons, add them to your gin & tonic
    Likes trixie88, trevskoda liked this post
    Thanks shaunr68 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    Here goes. I had been estranged from my family for around 25 years for various reasons that lead to us changing our name to Sue's family name rather than mine. But in late November a couple of years ago I got a telephone call from my niece saying that my dad wanted to see me, she, unknown to us, had been his carer. On the 12th of November 2017 I drove over to Heptonstall to meet up with them both, dad was in a coma. My niece told me what he had said to her regarding things that had occurred over the years and my heart was broken. I realised that I loved this daft old bloke and as I sat by his bed I held his hand and told him so. They say that when in a coma the hearing is the last part to go, I swear that as I asked for forgiveness and offered mine, he squeezed my hand and died 2 hours later.
    Which leads me to this rather cathartic moment. Because of my nieces close involvement she was unable to go through the stuff that was left. Among all the detritus of nearly a century's life there was his war story.
    He was in the Royal Corps Of Signals, and because he was fluent in both French and German (why, who knows) he was seconded to the Canadiens and later to the 51st Highland Division. When the mass evacuation of Dunkirk occurred the 51st were ordered to stay behind as a rearguard. Most were either captured or killed, but because of his language skills, my dad was gathered up by the French resistance and was based just outside Caen. He was wounded by a mortar shell and that is as much as we know, but. A couple of years before he died he was sought out by a French Lady. It appears that she was writing a book and it was her family that kept my dad in their attic, and we have since been in touch with her (she is now 83) and some of the gaps have been filled including the strange medal that was among his belongings.

Having seen on TV the stuff going on today, I have shed more than one tear, for a dad that I lost a quarter of a century ago and for one that I found plus all those who gave me the freedom to write this.
    For our todays, they gave all their tomorrows.
    Attachment 71393Attachment 71394Attachment 71395

Thank you dad for me, your grandson and granddaughter and those who still live because of your small bit of the war.
    Attachment 71396
    I have just watched a program on channel 4 that shewed the horrors of what the 51st went through after Dunkirk, I now, finally understand why it has taken over 70 of my years to appreciate why he kept quiet and why after all this time of disliking him, I am proud to be his son

Dunkirk: The Forgotten Heroes - All 4
    Last edited by oppy; 15-06-2019 at 19:26.
    Likes izwozral, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    Just watched it too Peter, incredibly brave men and such a terrible loss of so many lives, It must have been horrific in Valerie, the French town, taking a battering from field guns, Stukas and tanks.
    Thanks oppy thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Just as a footnote to this posting, I was born a McCarthy, and because I'm a kinda noesy blighter I have spent quite a bit of time rooting through the family history and it seems that my father was not alone infighting for what he believed.
    Really, it's quite incredible to see what makes us what we are.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    Just as a footnote to this posting, I was born a McCarthy, and because I'm a kinda noesy blighter I have spent quite a bit of time rooting through the family history and it seems that my father was not alone infighting for what he believed.
    Really, it's quite incredible to see what makes us what we are.
    Good ulster scots name,ill get the pipes out.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    My late father was a non-combatant Airborne medic who managed to get himself captured on D Day but later rejoined his unit for the Rhine crossings in May '45. Like most of his generation he rarely spoke about it and as a child I felt strangely cheated that he wouldn't tell me his war stories. I do wonder if my generation could have done the same - probably - but thankfully unlike my father and his father before him I never had to fight. Now whenever I pass by a war memorial on my travels I try to make a point of reading the inscribed names to myself. Sometimes this can take a while, but it's just my way of confirming that "we will remember them".
    Likes harrow, oppy, trevskoda, izwozral, ian1950 liked this post
    Thanks shaunr68 thanked for this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information