CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'D' Day

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS

'D' Day

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I suppose that among us rather geriatric members there are tales to tell, I only found out mine a couple of years ago, but all of us here despite our various politics, feelings and inclinations have a great debt to those who went before us. I may tell mine later.
    When life gives you lemons, add them to your gin & tonic

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED
    Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    I suppose that among us rather geriatric members there are tales to tell, I only found out mine a couple of years ago, but all of us here despite our various politics, feelings and inclinations have a great debt to those who went before us. I may tell mine later.
    Both of my grandfathers took part in the invasion, not on D Day itself but over the following days. My mum's dad was in the Royal Horse Artillery and fought through North Africa and Italy and was then shipped back to England for Overlord. He recalled the tale of wading ashore (I think on Sword Beach), getting shot at all day and finally finding a place to rest up for a while, reaching for his fags in his breast pocket only to find they were soaked through. Ironic as it may seem, the Nazis didn't get him but the fags did, at 55. My other grandfather was an infantryman, a Scot in the KOSB and I never got to know his full story but I think his landing ship was held up in the Channel otherwise he'd have been in the first wave. I spent a couple of weeks visiting the beaches last summer, from Pegasus Bridge to Ste Mere Eglise and have huge respect for the young lads who fought and died to free the continent from fascism.
    https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    Thank you for that, I'll wait a while but I'm sure that there are many tales among us that show why we owe so much to our parents and theirs too
    When life gives you lemons, add them to your gin & tonic
    Thanks shaunr68 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout
    The story of my great uncle was that he came home on leave from the 1st WW and went nuts shooting the ceiling, those days the soldiers bought their weapons home.
    He returned to the front and was killed at the som aged 23.

My great grandfather fought in the Boar war and also the 1st WW surviving both.

John
    Thanks Tezza33, Silver sprinter thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Headstone of the grandad I never met, although a few month on from D-Day landings. We visited Rouen Military Cemetery France, last summer en-route back to the tunnel, which is where his remains are interned, I don't know the details, apart from my dad telling me his aircraft was shot down.

I added picture of my grandad, with a short note, Mrs R knitted the wool red poppy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes Neckender, The Jacks liked this post
    Thanks shaunr68, Tezza33, Silver sprinter thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    I lost my Dad last month, he was too young to serve, but remembers dog fights over Nottingham at night dependant on the glow in the sky could telll where had been bombed Derby Nottingham or Sheffield

My mother tells the antics of grandad on the blackmarket gas mask drills at school

My uncles older than my mother wer einvolved Monte Casin and Dunkerque My uncle Arthur a Chindit not many know or remember them but fought the Japanese campaign and Uncle Jess was a fireman in Liverpool.

Only saying to my lady friend tonight despite my parents stories toaday it occured to me couldnt ask my Dad what he remembered of D day as a boy of 13/14

I watched the ceremony today .President Trump must have been asid ehinsle alll our armed forces including the verterans well turned out , drilled and Marched perfect we gave the pomp and ceremony

Just for an hour today we put the Great back in Britain showed that resolve and discipline the world has always admired.

Lest we never forget

Channa
    Likes Silver sprinter, Discoduck liked this post
    Thanks Discoduck thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    The dithering twits in UK gov watched the rise of Hitler and sat on there thumbs where as they should have sent someone in to take him out saving thousands of young lives.
    Ulster sent her best to sort the mess out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes Neckender, Silver sprinter, witzend liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    None
    My Dad was a D-Day veteran. He drove a DUKW onto Gold beach in the second wave at 11am on the 6th. He never spoke about it until a few years before his death 10 years ago when he was taken to the D-Day museum in Portsmouth, when suddenly he saw a DUKW and started to talk about how they worked but never spoke about the landings. We tried to get him to visit the beaches but he never wanted to return there.
    Likes trevskoda, harrow, Neckender, shaunr68 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    B544
    my dads biggest grumble about the war was that he’d served 9 years and left in 38 got called back up as a reservist in 39 but had lost his pension continuity, a royal engineer himself he’d served all over and talked often of his prewar years but not much about the fighting ,
    as an aside went to pegasus bridge in absolute awe of the glider pilots cast of over open sea twenty miles from their target landed five wooden gliders the size of our motorhomes within an area the size of a football field from the target33B79639-D67A-4EB2-A438-FE6C026D2690.jpg
    Likes trevskoda, Pauljenny, Neckender liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    My Dad was a cook in the army, gawds knows how because he couldn't boil an egg - terrible cook, only beaten by my Mother!
    Dad served in Italy and Aden and hated every minute of it, even though he never heard or saw 'action'.

I take my hat off to the veterans, this is their day, brave souls all.
    Likes Pauljenny, Val54 liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information