CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any scooter / bike experts on here?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640

Any scooter / bike experts on here?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Long story short. My Honda Vision 110cc has been laid up all winter (not unusual), gave it a test run a couple of weeks ago and it kept cutting out.

Its been in and serviced, new battery, oil, new fuel, fuel filter cleaned, new drive belt etc etc. Its still cutting out but only when cold. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes of riding it with it cutting out or spluttering before it finally gets going. Its dangerous as if it cuts out when your doing a tight slow turn as I discovered its easy to lose balance. Ive had it four years and normally from cold you can just jump on it and away you go.

To make matters worse Im staggering around like a cripple (Well probably because I am one) and I dropped the fecking thing on the drive and then smashed the back off the trailer board on the van trying to manoeuvre it. Not my fecking day.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Ochre
    Just a guess, but could some of the old fuel have got into and blocked the carb. I could not believe the state of some fuel left in my bike for just 6 months. In future I plan to get premium fuel if leaving it stood as this has a lower ethanol content and is likely to last better.
    Hope that your day gets better.
    2CV
    Likes harrow, channa, Alf, trevskoda, Nabsim liked this post
    Thanks harrow, Alf, barryd thanked for this post

Member Number
    So really,

new fuel, fuel filter cleaned, new drive belt etc etc. Its still cutting out but only when cold. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes of riding it with it cutting out or spluttering before it finally gets going.

so its a cold running issue, not when warmed up.

I assume its a carburetor engine so on that basis its the cold running side of the carburetor which combined with old petrol would suggest a carburetor strip down and service.

Old petrol and maybe some water is a menace and ruins plenty of carburetors, I speak from experience having recently replacing two of them.

If its electronic fuel injection the same sort of logic applies of old flue and maybe a touch of water.
    Last edited by harrow; 13-06-2019 at 15:22. Reason: electronic fuel injection ?
    Likes Nabsim liked this post
    Thanks barryd thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Almost certainly the carburettors gummed up with stale fuel need a strip down and ultrasonically cleaned most dealers including the independents have a cleaner

Maureen the moped suffered a similar fate

Channa
    Likes harrow liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 630G (X250 Maxi)
    Is it EFI or Carb?, if carb then likely to be the choke/cold mixture not working when cold, hence OK when warmed up. Is it harder to start than usual when cold?
    Swift 630G
    in the boot

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    I would imagine it is old or dirty fuel.
    Not trying to be smug, but I try to run mine every few weeks, even if I don't want to, just to keep things free
    I know how you feel about damage.
    On our recent Brittany tour, I was rushing while frogs looked on and as I got it out of the garage, and was letting it down the ramp, one wheel went off the side
    It broke the plastic guard under the foot board and cost me around 45 to replace
    GRRRRRRR
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    I think the vision 110 is Fuel injection as my first thought was its an automatic choke issue which is what we had on the old 2 stroke Peugeot and I eventually had it changed to a manual due to starting issues. I gather there is a sensor though for when its cold that injects more fuel or something. Maybe its that I dunno.

Its often sat for months on end with no use and has been ok but I agree with Graham its best to run these things now and again really but its not that practical here as it involves moving the van off the drive which is generally sorned with the battery disconnected so it just gets left. Hopefully its something simple.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    As above,after six weeks fuel is if,also look at cold star sensors,mind you i have had lots of outboard engines with this problem caused by spark plug,change to ngk,also seen coil doing this but more than likely fuel and cold start sys.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    What year is it and does it run fine once warm with no problems at all.
    Last edited by Fazerloz; 13-06-2019 at 17:21.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    What year is it and does it run fine once warm with no problems at all.
    All as above really, if leaving any of my machines (bikes lawn mowers etc for more than six weeks I always add fuel stabiliser to the tank, so far no problems, hope you sort it soon, it will probably be something simply when found.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information