CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security alerts using a Mifi.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner

Security alerts using a Mifi.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    We have no mains Broadband at home, a 3 Mifi on contract is enough for us and we can take the Mifi away with us in the van.

The house has 2 alarm systems but I would like to add a standalone security camera on an outside wall. Ideally I would like one with an internal SD card (for recording incidents) but be able to get notifications when it is activated. If this camera only activates from the PIR or movement activation, I am thinking that another Mifi on PAYG should be sufficient for my needs. I have an old 3G Mifi which just needs a SIM card. Am I correct or am I missing something?

This is an area that I know little about so any help would be appreciated.

ps: I have just been playing about with an old dashcam and using a 12 volt PIR switch, I have got it operating through a window on the van (the PIR is outside and a bit obvious to be honest). If it works OK I will do a better job of hiding the PIR and adding a LED light for night time operation.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    P reg Iveco 35 daily 2.8TD converted

12 volt security system

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with your idea off a dash cam sand 12 volt PIR set up.

I thought about setting up perimeter security system by utilising revising sensors to warn me of anyone exerting a specific zone such asked outside my side door. I am a dual hearing aid wearer and when sleeping don't wear them so wouldn't hear anyone creeping around.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner T660 Nexxo
    Also interested especially if you get things to work without a landline broadband connection.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with your idea off a dash cam sand 12 volt PIR set up.

I thought about setting up perimeter security system by utilising revising sensors to warn me of anyone exerting a specific zone such asked outside my side door. I am a dual hearing aid wearer and when sleeping don't wear them so wouldn't hear anyone creeping around.
    Reversing sensors can be used for what you want, they can be placed at Cab doors as well as Hab door.

I am using one of these ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sensky-BS01...TVF4HWDG4&th=1

It is fed through the side window to the outside and a Dashcam is set up in the window. The camera head swivels on my Dashcam and it covers my car as well as the front garden. It is only for security while we are out and the van is parked on the Driveway.

The type I use would suit you for one door and you could connect it to an internal light or buzzer when activated. There are other sensors at the bottom of the page in my link, some are more powerful (5 amp) and some have an extra wire for a light sensor. They are not weatherproof though, so although easy to fit, reversing sensors would be a better long term idea.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post

There are some very cheap parking sensors on ebay 4.49,

Reversing Parking Radar Sensor Front Car Vehicle LED Display Alarm Buzzer Alarm | eBay

And you could try them out at home first before you commit your self to spending a lot of money.

Correction, Note: Auto Reverse Sensors are not included
    Last edited by harrow; 17-06-2019 at 12:33. Reason: correction Note: Auto Reverse Sensors are not includes
    Likes Alf, maingate liked this post

Member Number
    Hi

I found this tread while searching for secuity advice for our Swift Escape 685.
    I installed CCTV at home last year and caught someone trying to get in just a few days after switching it on. He got found and prosecuted, thanks in part to the quality of the video recordings.

There was a second attempt a couple of months ago but they haven't got anyone for that.

The advice from the police after my second attempt was to get CCTV warning signs up and make the cameras visible - to put them off trying in the first place.

There is a huge variety of CCTV cameras and systems available. Low end systems are fine to let you see what is happening but won't be any use for investigation/prosecution.

All the best.

Michael

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by Synchronicity View Post
    Hi

I found this tread while searching for secuity advice for our Swift Escape 685.
    I installed CCTV at home last year and caught someone trying to get in just a few days after switching it on. He got found and prosecuted, thanks in part to the quality of the video recordings.

There was a second attempt a couple of months ago but they haven't got anyone for that.

The advice from the police after my second attempt was to get CCTV warning signs up and make the cameras visible - to put them off trying in the first place.

There is a huge variety of CCTV cameras and systems available. Low end systems are fine to let you see what is happening but won't be any use for investigation/prosecution.

All the best.

Michael
    Majority of the thieving scumbags wear hoodies when on the prowl, making signs and cams basically a piece of wall furniture.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    I have set up my old Dashcam inside my shed. Only the two lenses and the PIR are visible from the outside (and you have to look closely to see them from the outside). It works well and covers the side gate and the rear French doors. I am using one of the old Leisure batteries I removed earlier this year for power.

Above the French doors, I have fitted a Reolink Argus Pro battery operated security camera. It sends notifications to my phone and also records to a 32 gig SD card. Argus Pro: Wire-Free Battery or Solar Powered Security Cam

Actually, I am halfway through the installation of a new security light to cover the side of the house. The back and side are the two likeliest spots for ne'er do wells to get up to mischief. The back is already covered with a security light and the Reolink camera.

Just a tip for anyone wanting a bit more security. I purchased a Trail camera to set up outside the van while we are away in order to capture wildlife on video or photo. It only cost 34 for a decent Trail camera which would also double up as a security camera for home. They are a camouflage pattern and will blend in well with the undergrowth or shrubbery. They are battery operated and record to a 32 gig SD card.

It might seem that I am concerned about security too much. It is very quiet around here but there was an incident of attempted burglary to 2 of our neighbours while we were away on our last trip. I just want to make our security visible to the crims.

Member Number
    I use a couple of ip cameras on the front of the house mounted high up for a overall view....
    I also have a couple mounted discretely low down.... That means whilst anyone is looking up high at the cameras and hiding their faces... They usually miss the low down ones ;-)

30 or so each they work pretty well (few quid a month for cloud recording)

Not any guarantee BUT means I usually know who to have, a word with IF I have issues.

Can have some comedy moments though.... Was slightly concerned after finding the passenger side door mirror foldad back.
    After checking the footage....

https://www.ucloudcam.com/s/aIrY7n.m...&region=eu-ali
    Likes yeoblade liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    A nice clean roof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information