CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Video Grabber/Capture from DVR

Member Number

Video Grabber/Capture from DVR

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    As Wild Camping is a knowledgeable and resourceful site I ask this question which I was asked by a family member

Q How can I capture video at 1080p (HD) from a Humax DigitalVideoRecorder (hdmi out) and transfer it to a PC?

I immediately looked up video capture cards and have been overwhelmed by the sheer number plus the reviews which are 'fabulous bit of kit' followed by 'total rubbish' product, I'm sure many of you must have captured tv from DVR to PC.

Any one have any recommendations? preferably under 100

Cheers

Paul

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrks View Post
    As Wild Camping is a knowledgeable and resourceful site I ask this question which I was asked by a family member

Q How can I capture video at 1080p (HD) from a Humax DigitalVideoRecorder (hdmi out) and transfer it to a PC?

I immediately looked up video capture cards and have been overwhelmed by the sheer number plus the reviews which are 'fabulous bit of kit' followed by 'total rubbish' product, I'm sure many of you must have captured tv from DVR to PC.

Cheers

Paul
    We have a Humax 1800 DVR and it has a USB socket on the back. It is used by the gubbins to connect the DVR to Wifi. Perhaps you could use that. The Humax 2000 has a USB socket on the front panel, presumably to transfer from the DVR to a memory stick.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    We have a Humax 1800 DVR and it has a USB socket on the back. It is used by the gubbins to connect the DVR to Wifi. Perhaps you could use that. The Humax 2000 has a USB socket on the front panel, presumably to transfer from the DVR to a memory stick.
    Mines and old one which doesn't have a USB port but I'm sure this wouldn't help as I need to change the format from the propriety format of the Humax to something like an mp4 format. If it was a straight copy then I would remove the hdd and copy direct. Thanks for your input.

Beemer is offline Full Member
    Name: Dave
    Spouse: Christine

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Eura Mobil Practica 690
    I don't know if this is of any help but, I often transfer video from my helmet cam (Drift Ghost), using its small HDMI port, with a HDMI to USB cable, connecting the USB to the computer, downloading the video onto an external 1 Terra hard drive, and then using Open Shot, a free editing programme to edit, adding sound and special effects.

I also have a dashcam in the motorhome, but I am able to remove the memory card and place into the computer.
    I am not a computer nerd, but this system works (just) for me.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    I don't know if this is of any help but, I often transfer video from my helmet cam (Drift Ghost), using its small HDMI port, with a HDMI to USB cable, connecting the USB to the computer, downloading the video onto an external 1 Terra hard drive, and then using Open Shot, a free editing programme to edit, adding sound and special effects.

I also have a dashcam in the motorhome, but I am able to remove the memory card and place into the computer.
    I am not a computer nerd, but this system works (just) for me.
    It comes down to the fact that the Humax (like all/most DVR's) record using a propriety format, the grabber is required to 'strip out' the encoding by changing via recording to a more common format MP4, AVI, AVCHD, MOV etc

I too do the same with my dashcam

Open shot sounds interesting

Thank you for your comments

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2002 Hymer B584

A Perfect Solution

Quote Originally Posted by sparrks View Post

Cheers

Paul
    Hi Paul

A site for you to have a look at:

Audio Video Home Entertainment Resource and Community | AVForums

I have a couple of Humax Foxsat HDRs and they are patched with Raydon's software, available on site for free.

Your model may not be patchable but register on the site, have a look and ask questions. An incredibly knowledgeable chap called grahamlthompson will be able to help you - he helped me a lot.

Both my machines record and play HD recordings . . . and I can copy video files to my laptop or usb stick.

Also look at: My Humax Forum

Regards, Barry
    Last edited by bazzybabes; 05-07-2019 at 11:25. Reason: added info
    Yippee C1/D1 until 2021

Thread Information