Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Moving house but where to go ?

Member Number

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    The requirements are,

Detached house with three bedrooms, preferably with mains water

no close neighbors

some land

outbuildings for at least say six cars, not that I have them but I want the covered indoor space

Cooler in summer, London is too hot

Cancer treatment hospital

Budget £500,000 for any refurbishment and moving costs but of course I would prefer to spend less

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Autograph 625
    As mentioned earlier the Welsh borders. Here in Herefordshire we have one of the lowest crime rates in the country. Most of the crfimes are quad bikes & chainsaws etc. being nicked from remote outbuildings. In the main it is an agricultural economy with an active farming community. Property prices are reasonable & the surroundings are fabulous.
    =^..^=
    Likes RV2MAX liked this post
    Thanks harrow thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    I would suggest the North Yorkshire or south west Durham Dales but Im biased as I live there.

I love it here and there is nowhere in the UK at least I would prefer to live. Maybe the lake district or Devon but Lake district is fecking expensive if you want something pretty and both Devon and the Lakes get very busy.

If you want remote the Dales are great for that but be careful what you wish for. The further up you go the more remote it gets and its like being in a time warp in the upper Dales. Down here its ok though (Richmond Barnard Castle area) and you will get something really nice for £500k. Maybe even something by the Tees or Swale (possibly).

Dunno about hospitals though and you defo need a vehicle. Northumberland might be a good choice though as someone mentioned the Freeman and from what I have heard its an excellent hospital.

Head North is my advice though regardless. Just avoid that nutter in Gateshead and you should be ok!
    Likes mariesnowgoose liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon the Cat View Post
    As mentioned earlier the Welsh borders. Here in Herefordshire we have one of the lowest crime rates in the country. Most of the crfimes are quad bikes & chainsaws etc. being nicked from remote outbuildings. In the main it is an agricultural economy with an active farming community. Property prices are reasonable & the surroundings are fabulous.
    Rural west Wales is farming and yes some of the properties don't even have mains water,

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by barryd View Post
    I would suggest the North Yorkshire or south west Durham Dales but Im biased as I live there.

I love it here and there is nowhere in the UK at least I would prefer to live. Maybe the lake district or Devon but Lake district is fecking expensive if you want something pretty and both Devon and the Lakes get very busy.

If you want remote the Dales are great for that but be careful what you wish for. The further up you go the more remote it gets and its like being in a time warp in the upper Dales. Down here its ok though (Richmond Barnard Castle area) and you will get something really nice for £500k. Maybe even something by the Tees or Swale (possibly).

Dunno about hospitals though and you defo need a vehicle. Northumberland might be a good choice though as someone mentioned the Freeman and from what I have heard its an excellent hospital.

Head North is my advice though regardless. Just avoid that nutter in Gateshead and you should be ok!
    Its not easy deciding, but one thing Devon is expensive, I looked around Slapton sands and you don't get much for your money !

Member Number
    Motorhome
    mitsubishi canter mini artic
    all over the uk if well into the country or old country villages many houses arent on mains water or sewage , many arent on mains electric as well ,generators power the buildings with switch and go power.
    shame today as so many are flushing treated drinking water down the toilet . it makes the old systems much better for the enviroment.
    still have a cesspit in my garden but unfortunately the last owners went on mains sewage 5 yrs before i bought it , cant go back and be cut off from the mains once on it. shame could have saved a few shillings.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    Its not easy deciding, but one thing Devon is expensive, I looked around Slapton sands and you don't get much for your money !
    Its lovely down there but you probably would get more for your money up here and even when the tourists are here its never rammed like Devon gets and its massive. Teesdale and nearby Eden (Cumbria) are the two least populated regions in England. Two hay carts and a tractor is considered a traffic jam up here.

I wouldnt move any further out or higher than where I am now though. Drive up twenty miles up to Cowgreen Reservoir in Upper Teesdale and whilst there is massive amounts of space and you could probably buy a lot of it for half a million quid it has the same climate as Reykjavik in Iceland apparently.
    Likes mariesnowgoose, jeanette liked this post
    Thanks mariesnowgoose, harrow thanked for this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's gone bald!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    It has always been a long time dream of mine to be able to live in Northumberland (God's county - after Derbyshire that is!), but way out of my price league.

However, there are some interesting properties for sale which could be in your budget. The Freeman, RVI & Queen Elizabeth hospitals all have good reputations for cancer treatment and you can take your pick. The Maggies Centre at the Freeman is brilliant, as already said, and they offer really good help & support fro a beautiful building with lovely staff.

Here's a selection of properties I personally like the look of (get in line, Ian!) and the locations I think are pretty good too, although one or two are further to travel if you need to get to hospital.

4 bedroom detached house for sale in Physic Lane, Thropton, Northumberland, NE65

This do-uppable bungalow in the ever improving harbour town of Amble:
    3 bedroom bungalow for sale in Mariners View, Amble, Northumberland, NE65

3 bedroom detached house for sale in High Street, Belford, NE70

This in Allendale, lovely but maybe a bit far away from civilisation in your dotage?
    3 bedroom detached house for sale in Allendale, Northumberland, NE47

Here's one with an indoor swimming pool:
    4 bedroom detached house for sale in Alnham, Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66

6 bedrooms with 1.1 acres, adjoining byre and large garage/workshop (quite remote):
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-72153496.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-74827622.html

OK, that's enough for now - all that property hunting has made me hungry!
    Will continue searching later...
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes harrow liked this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Official OTW
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: She's gone bald!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 400i
    Barryd is right, South West Durham and going along to the Upper Tees is also a lovely part of the world, but your cancer treatment might be an issue.

There is the James Cook hospital in Middlesbrough, but haven't got a clue if they're any good or not.
    In County Durham itself there is only the Darlington Memorial Hospital and the University Hospital of North Durham (where I've had my ops, but the after care/support etc. is a bit rubbish, OK for my type of surgery, but other than that... no idea?).
    I don't think the hospitals in County Durham score particularly well across most services, not just cancer.

The Tyne Valley and up into Northumberland is better as you have access to much better hospitals.

Have you thought about moving up into the Borders? That gets you into the Scottish health system and I know a lot of people retire up there for that very reason, plus there is some stunning countryside and properties - and it is definitely cooler than London!
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    There but for the grace of God go I
    Likes harrow, barryd liked this post

Member Number
    This place although its now sold and the pictures are grayed out was nice, I stayed there as a b&b

4 bedroom equestrian facility for sale in Brynhoffnant, SA44, SA44

The property’s deceptively spacious single-storey residence occupies a lovely, private garden setting surrounded by its own land, being a period property with later additions, a slate roof, uPVC double glazing and oil-fired central heating.
    Accommodation – Kitchen/Dining Room, Lounge, Conservatory, 3 Double Bedrooms, Bathroom, and an end wing with own entrance presently providing a B&B Guest Suite (3-star rated) with Sitting Room/Bedroom 4 with staircase to Bedroom 5 with En Suite Shower Room.
    Outbuildings include:- A large Dutch Barn incorporating 5 Loose Boxes, Foaling Box (easy scope more stabling), Kennels with runs, Feed/Store Rooms, and small Stone Barn (former dairy) with lean to store.
    Circa 25 Acres in all (to be confirmed) with excellent, predominantly level pastureland – ideal for horses or other livestock – and glorious open views. (The property is also available with circa 11 acres.)
    The location is peacefully rural amidst gently rolling landscapes near the magnificent Heritage Coast of Cardigan Bay. Brynhoffnant is 1½ miles away with a general store and petrol station, and a village inn, and there is a 9-hole golf course in the locality. Llangrannog is only 2 miles or so distant with a shop, pub, two beaches and headland, and a dry ski slope on the outskirts. There is a primary school 2 miles from the property at Pontgarreg and secondary education and fuller amenities are available at Newcastle Emlyn, 10 miles, Cardigan, 11½ miles, and Aberaeron, 12 miles, whilst the main towns of Carmarthen and Aberystwyth are 25½ and 27½ miles distant respectively with general hospitals, main line railway stations, excellent shopping, universities, etc.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information