Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: electric bikes

Member Number
    Motorhome
    bessacar 450

electric bikes

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    hi
    I used to scoff at electric bikes... thinking lazy .......

Im just being honest there.

Following a horse riding accident , mountain biking is not for me. I do want to cycle roads and also easy off road trails. Not on a professional level by any means but more of a weekend user.

Any one got any reviews for a ladies hybrid type bike, more road than off.
    Anything helps, ease of transporting, charging, weight to ride unassisted, mileage, ease to charge, comfort factor .... it all helps
    thanks in anticipation of replies

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    I have a Decathlon hub drive full suspension hybrid, gf has a Cube crank drive step throu hybrid. I'm now looking to get a Cube crank drive hybrid. The only downside to Cubes are their soft paint which tends to chip off very easily.
    Thanks BusyLizzy thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Chic C-Line 4.9
    Decathlon is well worth a look.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Local facebook market place and gumtree full of them with 100 miles use selling at a fraction of new price,just another must have gimmick.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Local facebook market place and gumtree full of them with 100 miles use selling at a fraction of new price,
    That will probably be those that brought cheap and/or didn't understand you still have to pedal

just another must have gimmick.
    Bet they said that about horseless carriages.
    Likes Obanboy666, trevskoda liked this post

Robina is offline Full Member
    Name: Robina
    Spouse: Neil

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach 620
    We each have a Gtech city bike. Step through model, weighing 16.5 kilograms. It is an absolute dream to ride an e-bike and makes the difference between being able to ride around on a bike and not riding a bike at all. This is most definitely not a gimmick but, together with other personal e-transport devices, is the future. And I don't just mean for oldies - imagine cycling to work and not being hot and sweaty when you get there! They are particularly good for the less strong cyclist as they really help setting off from a standstill - especially at lights and roundabouts when you need to get going fast.

My bike developed a problem with the connection between the battery and the bike and it was repaired for free under warranty. I did have to take it to the Leeds shop though which would have been a problem if we lived further away. I cannot offer any comparison to other makes as I have only had this one.

I have only done up to ten miles between charging and the battery seemed to discharge between one quarter and one third. Gtech are not the most sophisticated bikes in terms of displays and gadgets but at 1000 seem to be a good price for what you get. We have had them over two years now so prices generally may have come down.

I cannot recommend e-biking highly enough as a whole new burst of activity once ordinary cycling is no longer a realistic activity for you.
    Likes Obanboy666 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Bought a couple of these a year past April from our local Halford, got an excellent deal, certainly the way forward.

The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Robina is offline Full Member
    Name: Robina
    Spouse: Neil

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach 620
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyLizzy View Post
    hi
    I used to scoff at electric bikes... thinking lazy .......

Im just being honest there.

Following a horse riding accident , mountain biking is not for me. I do want to cycle roads and also easy off road trails. Not on a professional level by any means but more of a weekend user.

Any one got any reviews for a ladies hybrid type bike, more road than off.
    Anything helps, ease of transporting, charging, weight to ride unassisted, mileage, ease to charge, comfort factor .... it all helps
    thanks in anticipation of replies
    Here are a few more details I missed in my last enthusiastic reply:
    - they go on the cycle rack the same as any other bike and are liftable (by Neil) at 16.5 kg
    - they are pedal-assist which means you have to pedal to get the e-boost
    - there are two modes - low assist and high assist
    - with no assist at all they are a bit heavy to ride
    - have no gears
    - charging is fast enough but I have not measured it and easy as the battery clicks off easily.
    - the battery attaches to the frame and looks like a water bottle
    - I found the saddle hard and bought a spongy one to fit on top
    - the saddle does not adjust much in terms of tilting
    - the battery display is hard to see in sunlight bit i think the new ones have an improved display

Happy to answer any further questions.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Some here .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Do take care if you buy one to use on public roads that they comply with the law which I think is as follows,

If an electric motorbike is restricted to 15mph, has a motor of 250 watts output or less, and has pedals, it is legally an electric bicycle and can be ridden by anyone aged 14 or over. They require no registration documents, number plates, tax disc or MOT. The rider does not need to be in possession of a licence.

There has been at least a couple of people killed on them and the police have confiscated some of the electric scooters used on public roads, its been shown on TV
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information