Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POI Please read!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    AutoSleeper Duetto

POI Please read!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi Gang,

Chris, Mike and myself are continually striving to make your motor home adventures better. We do this by keeping the database of locations up to date and making them as easy to use as possible.

But we waste a lot of time dealing with issues that would not exist if members would just read and follow the instructions. I know that not everyone is a techie and that what is easy to some is a lot of stress to others. If you have read the instructions and can not get things working then please open a support ticket (click on contact us at the bottom of the page) and select the top option "POI Support". Please explain what device you are using and where things go wrong in the ticket.

Below are a few of the common problems and the answers.

Q. Where do I get the activation code for the APPs?

A. The code is on the POI Downloads page. The code only lasts for one hour, so if you need to activate the APP after this you will need to go back to the POI Downloads page again. Wild Camping for Motorhomes - POI Downloads

Q. What do the codes CR CU etc mean?

A. The user guides give a full explanation of the codes and are available from the POI downloads page. Wild Camping for Motorhomes - POI Downloads

Q. I click on "GET ACTIVATION CODE" in the APP and just get a page on the site telling me I am not logged in.

A. You will need to login on the device you are using, look in the top right corner of the page and you will find a login box.

Q. The APP says that my username is not found.

A. Please make sure that you have entered your username that you use to login to the wildcamping website.

Q. The APP says that my activation code is incorrect.

A. Click "Get Activation Code" again and check that you are using the right code.

Q. I am using sample POI files and I cannot see any even though I have turned them all on.

A. Make sure that you move the distance slider to 300 miles then click OK.

Q. There are not many locations in the sample (free) POI database?

A. The sample is just to show you how the system works, it is not meant to be a usable database.

Q. My APP crashes when I try and view the POI locations.

A. The POI files have not downloaded correctly, please click on the green "W" and run "check for updates" then download them again.

Q. The POI page says that I have two iPads registered but I only have one.

A. If you have completely deleted the APP then reinstalled it Apple sends a new device ID. Deactivate the APP from the W menu before deleting it.

Q. I am having problems with the POI zip file.

A. ONLY Mac and Linux users should now be using the POI ZIP file. There are apps for Windows, Apple and Android.

Q. I have a Mac and I cannot use the POI ZIP file.

A. If you are using Safari on the Mac then it will have broken the ZIP file. There are instructions on the POI downloads page on how to fix this problem with Safari. Once you have fixed it you MUST delete the broken wildcamping.zip file that has been produced first before downloading again.

Q. I have a Mac and I have successfully downloaded the ZIP file, but I cannot view any locations.

A. You need to install Google Earth on your Mac, then go to the Google Earth directory in the Wildcamping folder. Click on one of the kml files to open them in Google Earth.

Q. I cannot find a printable version of the POI files, can you send me one.

A. No, there is no printable version of the database. The data is not really human readable it needs to be displayed on a digital map.

Q. I have a Snooper why don't you support them.

A. I have asked Snooper to allow us the convert our files to their "protected" format, they said no.

Q. My virus software warns me when downloading the PC Downloader.

A. The PC downloader has been inspected and certified by most of the large anti-virus companies, please let us know which one is cause the issue and I will contact them.

Q. I have activated the PC POI Downloader but there are no POI files.

A. Please click on "Choose an action" then click on "Check for POI updates".

Q. I am a Free Member and I opened a support ticket over 24 hours ago and you have not responded.

A. I answer all tickets as soon as I can, but I answer Full Members tickets first.

I will add more later.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner Aviano i675
    And an excellent service it is too. Many thanks.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW-T5

POI using View Ranger

Hi I use View Ranger on my iphone for many of my walks. View ranger uses GPX files (GPS Waypoints). Is your POI compatible to that?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2002 Hymer B584 Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by GLG View Post
    Hi I use View Ranger on my iphone for many of my walks. View ranger uses GPX files (GPS Waypoints). Is your POI compatible to that?
    GPS exchange format is in there, that is GPX so yes, should have asked somewhere else though instead of this thread
    Not that is has anything to do with me
    Who was that gobby southerner who kept saying If they don't like me they can fcuk off

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW-T5

POI's in view ranger

Quote Originally Posted by tezza33 View Post
    GPS exchange format is in there, that is GPX so yes, should have asked somewhere else though instead of this thread
    I did say I was a newbie and it seemed the obvious place to raise the question. so apologies.
    But just incase anyone has a similar problem and comes across this thread
    I did find it eventually - I downloaded the PC ZIP file and then put it on my iphone which identified it as a viewranger file.
    I know have thousands of POI's on viewranger app close to the walks I want to do.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2002 Hymer B584 Classic
    We have all done it so don't worry, only problem is it is a stickie so admin will have to move some threads if it gets untidy, always start your own thread for a question, I am as guilty as you for replying
    Who was that gobby southerner who kept saying If they don't like me they can fcuk off

davegreg Guest
    Thank you. I was confused when my APP crashed. I had to say the FAQ helped me a lot.

Member Number

Dumb & Dumber

Ok for use that have just joined, read several threads but are still lost.... what does CR, OU, LU, PH etc mean?

Thank you for any help.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby Van Exclusive
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Colley View Post
    Ok for use that have just joined, read several threads but are still lost.... what does CR, OU, LU, PH etc mean?

Thank you for any help.
    This info is in the user guides which can be downloaded here: http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POI-DOWNLOAD.php (the links used to be towards the bottom of the page, but have now been moved close to the top)
    Last edited by TJBi; 08-07-2015 at 11:09. Reason: Edited to reflect change of position of links on page

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat Burstner A530

Thank you Admin

I am a techie numbie, so the help and advice supplied is great, thanks again for you work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information