CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Import Wild Camping POI files to Osmand

Member Number:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi Barry,

Just a very quick reply as I am off out and won't be back until late tonight. Over the weekend I'll gladly update the favourites.gpx files of cc-info, Archies etc., and I'll post another note explaining how to download them.

My software was a simple script intended only to process the wildcamping POI files. I have other scripts to process Archies, etc. They are only crude VB.NET programs, so aren't really in a publishable shape, though I can tidy them up if there's interest...

Osmand recognises new POIs in favourites.gpx unfortunately, it doesn't recognise deletions. This means you have to delete POIs through 'My Places':

- Tap on Menu, then 'My Places'
    - Tap the little dustbin icon
    - all categories of favourites now have a tick -box next to them
    - Tick, Eg., Wildcamping - Car Park Rural
    - Tap the dustbin icon again

Note it can take quite a few seconds to delete a category in My Places.

So, before you import the November wildcamping POI files, delete all the existing wildcamping- categories in Favourites, otherwise you'll piuck up additions but NOT deletions.

I'll post again over the weekend.

Morph
    There are only 10 different types of people - Those who understand binary, and those who don't
    Likes - bazzybabes liked this post

Member Number:
    I have updated the various favourites.gpx files on my web site.

For those that don't already know, OSMAND (both the free, and paid-for versions) will look for and import POIs in the GPX file format (such as the Wildcamping POI files). However OSMAND also supports the use of colours to identify different categories of POI files, so I wrote a script to take some well-known POI sets, and convert them to Osmand's preferred POI format.

I have updated the GPX files for the following POI Sets from CampingCar-infos:

Austria
    Belgium
    France
    Germany
    Italy
    Netherlands
    Portugal
    Spain
    Switzerland
    UK

And Archies, all of Europe:

Archies Europe

For Archies, I added some extra logic that splits out ACSI Sites, and notes their * Rating (3*, 4* etc), basically what I was looking for were 3* and 4* ACSI campsites that I figured might represent extremely good value when the ACSI discounts apply!

For obvious reasons the wildcamping POI files are NOT re-published on my web site though, as explained earlier in this thread, I have made a very simple app available that converts the Wildcamping POI files into Osmand GPX files, adding categories and coloured dots as it does so, so feel free to perform your own conversion.

Click on the links above and it should download and open the .zip file, each of which contains a file called favourites.gpx

Note that each of the files is confusingly called 'favourites.gpx' - this is deliberate because Osmand only looks for a file called favourites.gpx

NOTE that you MUST have Osmand Version 1.8.2 or above for this to work.

The procedure for importing these into Osmand is as follows:

1. Force Osmand to Stop (it often runs in the background). Go to Settings->Application Manager->Osmand then choose [Force Stop]

2. Connect your Android device to your PC

3. Find where Osmand is storing its files. This could be in a number of different places depending on your version of Android, and whether you are storing maps on a MicroSD card or not. Places to look are:

>Tablet\\Android\\Data\\net.osmand.plus\\files\\os mand
    >Card\\Android\\Data\\net.osmand.plus\\files\\osma nd
    >Card\\osmand
    >tablet\\osmand

If all else fails, just have a poke about with Windows Explorer until you find an Osmand directory!!

Basically, what you are looking for is the directory where Osmand is storing your maps. Maps will have logical-looking names such as Gb_england_europe.obf etc.

Drop one of the favourites.gpx files into this directory, then start Osmand. It should take slightly longer to start as it will be importing and indexing the favourites.gpx file.

Go to the map then, from the Menu, select 'Map Layers'

Put a tick in the box to the right of 'Favourites'

Enjoy loads of Aires on Osmand.

Note that you can turn favourites on and off simply and quickly under the 'Map Layers' menu, but also note that you can choose which types of POIs to display as follows:

- Click on Menu then Click on 'My Places'

This will display a list of POI Categories, which will include some or all of the following:

- Campsite that accepts Motorhomes
    - Farm Campsite
    - Motorhome only parking (no services)
    - Motorway service point
    - Overnight parking tolerated
    - Parking tolerated during the day
    - Service point on campsite
    - Service point only
    - Service point with overnight parking

By clicking on the 'gear' icon to the right of each category, you can choose whether that category is displayed on the map and, additionally, the colour to use.

The results will be similar to the picture below, with different coloured dots representing the different types of Aire / parking.

Repeating all of the above process (including, importantly, Forcing osmand to STOP) for another country will ADD that country to the POI sets, so you can gradually add all of these country sets to Osmand.

Enjoy

Morph

DinanAires.jpg
    There are only 10 different types of people - Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Member Number:
    I've been using 'Route Converter' in windows to convert tomtom (and others) poi to gpx,

Unfortunately the Camper Contact app I use a lot does not interface with Osmand - it gives a 'invalid format' response when choosing a destination so I am trying out 'Here' satnav app which does interface.
    'Here' looks to be a better satnav app for some van use with 3d view and postcode search but does not import poi's in groups.

Osmand is best for cycling and walking and the geowiki entries in the paid version are brilliant.

Mr B.

Member Number:
    Hi,

quick note to say that I have updated the various favourites.gpx files on my website containing the Campingcar-infos POI files for

Austria
    Belgium
    France
    Germany
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands
    Portugal
    Spain
    Switzerland
    UK

See post #12 in this thread for details of how to install, display and access these within Osmand.

Enjoy!

Morph.
    Likes - bazzybabes liked this post
    Thanks - bazzybabes, emjaiuk Thanked this person

Member Number:
    Nice to see many others using this great software. A couple of other useful things are the ability to tag locations with video, photos or audio notes to remind you what places you have visted look like. I particularly like the wiki POIs that tell me about buildings and areas - it's like having a guide book on my device. We are currently in SE Asia for the winter and it works just as well here.

Mr B.

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigglesworth View Post
    We are currently in SE Asia for the winter and it works just as well here.

Mr B.
    Yes, I travelled overland through Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand earlier this year, and Osmand never put a foot wrong - I used it as my Satnav when renting vehicles, as a guide to local public transport, for finding hotels, restaurants, banks etc, walking & cycling routes. I had Osmand on both my Phone and my Tablet - dead handy for navigating where you can't read the road signs!

Prompted by @bazzybabes, I have also updated Archie's Campings POIs for all of Europe in Osmand format on my website:

Archies Europe

Morph
    Last edited by Morphology; 09-12-2016 at 09:53.
    Thanks - bazzybabes Thanked this person

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information