Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Import Wild Camping POI files to Osmand

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Knaus Sun Ti 650mf

Import Wild Camping POI files to Osmand

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi,

I have only recently joined, and was surprised to see that there isn't much info on importing the Wild Camping POI files into Osmand?

Osmand (available for both Android and iOS devices) is completely brilliant when wilding, as it stores all the maps off line, so no data connection is required. The Android version includes full navigation capabilities, and maps can be overlaid with all manner of useful stuff (POIs, Hiking Trails, Public Transport maps, Cycling Trails etc.). Oh, and it's free. *

I am recently back from a 2,000 mile trip covering Germany, France and Belgium and I used Osmand as my sole navigation aid (no Satnav or paper maps), and it didn't put a foot wrong.

I have imported the Wild Camping POI sets into Osmand, and they are really rather groovy (see screenshot, below), where each category of POI (Carpark Urban, Carpark Rural) etc. is displayed in a different colour, and can be turned off and on at will.

I have documented the process in the attached PDF which I hope Admin will read - there are a couple of minor amendments to the existing POI GPX files extracted from the database which would make them much more useful to Osmand users.

Enjoy!

Morph.

*when I say Free, the free version is limited to 10 map and voice file downloads. The paid-for version is only something like 7 one-off payment, and allows unlimited map downloads & updates. Bargain.

wc4.jpg

Import Wildcamping POI.pdf

Member Number
    Motorhome
    B544
    I also use the Osmand + version and love it particularly the feature showing where you are on the map just one bugbear the terrible female American voice on the sat nav instructions have you found a way to change that at all, I run it in a google nexus plugged in while I'm driving as it does eat the battery but quite honestly you are never lost with it don't find the new version quite as user friendly as the old but mainly because I haven't been on a long run yet, and the navigator likes to sit with a map on her knee,

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Knaus Sun Ti 650mf
    The Voice that you hear when Osmand is using TTS (text to speech) is actually whatever is installed in Android, not Osmand. Osmand is merely using your device's TTS engine.

From within Osmand, if you tap on Menu -> Settings -> General Settings and scroll down to the section headed 'Voice', then tap on 'Voice Guidance' then select 'Install More' you can also choose to install Voice Prompts that are recordings of real people.

The advantage of TTS is that it will attempt to pronounce street and place names (with varying degrees of success). The spoken word voice packs will just contain stock phrases (at the roundabout, take the 3rd exist, bear slightly left, turn around when possible. Etc.)

For a bit of fun, I recorded myself, so now I can listen to me giving myself directions...

It sounds to me like you need to change or configure the default TTS engine used by Android on your device.

Go to Android -> Settings _> Language and Input -> Text-to-speech options

On my device (Samsung Galaxy Tab), I have two TTS engines:

- Samsung text-to-speech engine
    - Google text-to-speech-engine

There is a little cog next to each one where you can install voice data, choose between American and UK English (and other languages, naturally|), and there are links to download other voices.

I am using the Google one. To install other voices do the following (note, you need an Internet connection as these go off to Google to download new voice packs).

- Tap on the Cog
    - Tap on 'Install voice data'
    - Tap on 'English (United Kingdom) voices'

They have two (Female & Male) download one and give it a go.

On the Google Play Store, you will find other TTS engines, other voices etc.

Morph.
    There are only 10 different types of people - Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota
    Welcome ...

Thanks for producing such a comprehensive guide to using the POIs with Osmand

I don't recall anybody else mentioning that they use the software which is why it hasn't been documented previously. I will make this thread sticky to make it easier to find.

If you haven't already picked it up, there are Wild Camping apps available for Android and iOS which make access to the POIs easier and more intuitive. This addresses many of the things that you are doing with Osmand.

Carrying out further processing on the POIs to make the GPX files better suited to use with Osmand is not something I wish to do at present for what appears to be a limited user base. This of course may change ...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Knaus Sun Ti 650mf
    Thanks for making it Sticky.

No worries about adding the extra XML elements - my script works fine for me, and means I can combine the WC POI sets with others I carry around with me (campingcar-infos, Archies, Camper Contact, i-Camping car, McDonalds [for free wifi], Womo, RSPB, plus my own Google Maps KML files) on a single map, colour-coded to differentiate one from another.

Osmand is my Satnav too, so it keeps everything in one app.

Keep up the good work.

Morph.
    There are only 10 different types of people - Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Member Number
    Motorhome
    motor home
    Hi Morph,

Thank you for all the information, I also use Osmand as a sat nav and for wildcamping sites. I have been using the POIs to display the sites but your method seems much more flexible.

Is it possible for you to publish a simple version of your script ( just for the Wildcamping POIs)?

My programming skills are not up to writing it from scratch.

Thanks.

Stuart

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Knaus Sun Ti 650mf
    Stuart,

I have packaged up my script as a small Windows Application, and put it up on my web site.

Attached beneath is a PDF explaining how to install and run this.

Note that this is supplied as-is, with no warranties, use it at your own risk. It is a VERY simple app that just does one thing, and one thing only - convert Wildcamping POI files in KML format into the GPX format understood by Osmand.

I used the KML files as my source simply because I had already written some code to parse Google KML files, so it was quicker than writing something to cross convert the Wildcamping GPX files.

Use this in conjunction with my previous PDF, which explains why Osmand needs the file to be called favourites.gpx where to copy this across to, how to stop and re-start Osmand etc.

Enjoy!

Morph

Installation Instructions for wildcamping2osmand POI Converter.pdf
    Last edited by Morphology; 03-08-2015 at 16:50.

Member Number
    Having used Autoroute and Copilot I discovered the considerable benefits of Open Source Maps when travelling in East Europe in 2013 using the Destination Free version. In 2014 these maps were an absolute Godsend in Turkey, Georgia and Armenia. Moving earlier this year to a tablet I tried various free (low cost) and found OSMand to be the best for me.

It clearly displays many car parks suitable for over night stops. I agree with the comment about not needing paper maps.

Sent from a possible addition in Derbyshire at 53.12181, -1.33572 discovered using OSMAND

Member Number
    Motorhome
    motor home
    Many thanks, the windows application installed easily and the converted POIs are now on my tablet. I wish all software was as easy as this to install and with such good instruction too.

Thanks again.

Stuart

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2002 Hymer B584
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphology View Post
    No worries about adding the extra XML elements - my script works fine for me, and means I can combine the WC POI sets with others I carry around with me (campingcar-infos, Archies, Camper Contact, i-Camping car, McDonalds [for free wifi], Womo, RSPB, plus my own Google Maps KML files) on a single map, colour-coded to differentiate one from another.

Morph.
    Hi Morph

I have recently spent three weeks in France using Osmand for navigation and mapping. What a superb piece of software. It behaved perfectly obviating the need for a separate satnav device.

You mention that you also have Archies (and others) in your favourites. I have used your software to try to convert Archies but they are now labelled as “Wildcamping – undefined” I think.

I am using Ubuntu and have tried editing the gpx file using a text editor called gedit. The edited favourites.gpx file could not be read by Osmand.

In desperation, I have now reformatted my tablet, sd card and started over, as deleting the favourites.gpx file didn't remove favourites from Osmand. It was still showing all pois.

I am now about to add my favourites again and wonder whether you could make favourites.gpx files you mention available as you did for gb_postcodes and gb- france-favourites etc? I am sure these will be greatly appreciated by all but I fully understand if you say “on yer bike Barry”!

When updated Wildcamping pois are provided, say in November, does Osmand update its existing poi database by deleting all existing ones and then adding new ones?

Kind regards, Barry
    Last edited by bazzybabes; 29-10-2015 at 09:30. Reason: amended text

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information