CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth problems

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master

Google Earth problems

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Sorry to trouble you! I have spent over an hour reading support instructions and help threads but I'm still having problems. I'm on a Windows Acer laptop, about a year old. I have finally figured out that I need to download some sort of programme to display the downloaded files and have installed Google Earth Pro. I then (I think) figured out which files I need to download - the zip ones. Not helped by early on reading a post, that I obviously TOTALLY misinterpreted, by an admin that said you only needed zip files if you were on an Apple device. I have now managed to access the POIs on Google Earth but it is hopelessly, unusably slow. It took nearly 15 mins before I could interact at all, and now every time I do a tiny movement or zoom on the map it takes more than 5 mins before I can do another one. Should I give up or is there any way of speeding it up? Do I have something set wrong?
    Many, many thanks - Lindsay x

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598
    Quote Originally Posted by LindsayH View Post
    Sorry to trouble you! I have spent over an hour reading support instructions and help threads but I'm still having problems. I'm on a Windows Acer laptop, about a year old. I have finally figured out that I need to download some sort of programme to display the downloaded files and have installed Google Earth Pro. I then (I think) figured out which files I need to download - the zip ones. Not helped by early on reading a post, that I obviously TOTALLY misinterpreted, by an admin that said you only needed zip files if you were on an Apple device. I have now managed to access the POIs on Google Earth but it is hopelessly, unusably slow. It took nearly 15 mins before I could interact at all, and now every time I do a tiny movement or zoom on the map it takes more than 5 mins before I can do another one. Should I give up or is there any way of speeding it up? Do I have something set wrong?
    Many, many thanks - Lindsay x
    This will be caused by the speed of your computer.

Have you tried our online map?

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POIMap.php

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master
    Thank you! Oh dear. It's not old, not even out of warranty yet! Unfortunately I have very little internet most of the time and try not to use my laptop online at all unless I'm somewhere with free wifi. The online map doesn't work on my mobile (the movement control) but I haven't got the app yet. Not that any of that solves my lack of internet on the move problem. Hence wanting the download. Is there any other programme I can install that will run the download better? Thanks again for your help - Lindsay.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Delete GE Pro and download a different version. Look for an older version and ignore any offers from GE to update to Pro. I am o my second Acer Notebook and have no problems with GE (I did when I tried GE Pro).
    Thanks LindsayH thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Poor internet bandwidth/speed will make Google Earth very unresponsive. It uses large amounts of data.

I would certainly expect a virtually new laptop to cope.

Free wi-fi connections are usually restricted in capability and useful for basic web browsing and email but not much more.

Are you able to share the internet connection on your phone (called tethering)? If so I would connect the laptop using wi-fi to the phone and try that. As mentioned above be aware of the amount of data usage and restrictions imposed by your phone contract.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master
    Thanks guys. I'm currently at my Mum's house with good internet which is why I'm trying to sort it now. The wifi here is good. I can tether to my phone but only have a very small amount of data a month and the laptop munches through it with alarming speed so I only do it in emergencies.
    I've had Google Earth open for a couple of hours now and it hasn't got any quicker so far. Maybe an older version is the way to go.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner Aviano

Excellent

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    This will be caused by the speed of your computer.

Have you tried our online map?

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POIMap.php

Hello Phil
    Thanks for the link.
    I didn't know about this before but it is so much easier for me at the PC.
    Pete

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LindsayH View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm currently at my Mum's house with good internet which is why I'm trying to sort it now. The wifi here is good. I can tether to my phone but only have a very small amount of data a month and the laptop munches through it with alarming speed so I only do it in emergencies.
    I've had Google Earth open for a couple of hours now and it hasn't got any quicker so far. Maybe an older version is the way to go.
    Does your laptop perform adequately in other respects, e.g. web browsing, email etc?

Do you have antivirus software installed and is it up-to-date?

I would certainly run a virus check on it in case something is lurking ...

Using an older version of Google Earth should not be necessary. I have a seven year old laptop and Google Earth Pro works fine.

Consider uninstalling Google Earth, rebooting the laptop and reinstalling.

Have you run a speed test on the internet connection to ensure it is working as it should?
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master
    It isn't the fastest laptop ever but it's fine. I can browse, stream Netflix, watch Youtube etc fine. I have free AVG for virus stuff but I will run a scan and see if anything shows. I don't know how to test my speed but will do a google search and find out. Just trying to figure out how to uninstall GE at the mo.
    Cheers!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Pretty sure it's an internet speed issue ...

To remove Google Earth you need to access Control Panel then Add/Remove Programs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information