CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Outer Hebrides (Western Isles)

Guernsey Donkey Guest

Outer Hebrides (Western Isles)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

All info on the Outer Hebrides can now be found by using the link below :-
    Last edited by Guernsey Donkey; 05-04-2013 at 18:08.
    Likes ironman, N/A liked this post

rienza Guest

Outer hebrides (Western Isles )

Do the Western Isles get busy during the Summer school hols Guernsey Donkey?

We were there 3 weeks ago and planned on going back in September but would rather go again in about 10 days time. The Islands are addictive but we don't usually travel during school hols.

Guernsey Donkey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rienza View Post
    Do the Western Isles get busy during the Summer school hols Guernsey Donkey?

We were there 3 weeks ago and planned on going back in September but would rather go again in about 10 days time. The Islands are addictive but we don't usually travel during school hols.

Come on up - no problem.

rienza Guest

Outer hebrides (Western Isles )

Right then we'll be up about 12 Aug when we've got rid of the granddaughters.

Thank you for the lists in your op there's one water stop there that we didn't know about. They're certainly useful for motor homes going over to the Western Isles for the first time.

Rolly Guest

Western Isles Wild Sites

I've had my Camper for 10 years and been to WI many times, always stopping overnight 'wild'. I have a long list of places from Ness to Vatersay that I've been wondering what to do with and have just found this Forum. If you can give me an e-mail address I will happily send it as it's several pages of A4. Also have list of public toilets, shops, petrol stations etc.
    Have always found the Western Isles quiet if you keep away from the 'honey pots' like Bostadh (Gt Bernera).
    Rolly

Guernsey Donkey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolly View Post
    I've had my Camper for 10 years and been to WI many times, always stopping overnight 'wild'. I have a long list of places from Ness to Vatersay that I've been wondering what to do with and have just found this Forum. If you can give me an e-mail address I will happily send it as it's several pages of A4. Also have list of public toilets, shops, petrol stations etc.
    Have always found the Western Isles quiet if you keep away from the 'honey pots' like Bostadh (Gt Bernera).
    Rolly

Hi Rolly - many thanks for that - if you send them to me spinning_wheel@btinternet.com I will put them on the site for canalsman to insert into the POI section of this web site.

Guernsey Donkey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolly View Post
    Rolly

Info all received many thanks, copy sent it to Canalsman for his info.

Samjc84 Guest

Island hopper

Hi All!

I've just signed up as we're off to the Western Isles on Tuesday for 2 weeks! Really excited as it will be our first campervan holiday and our first holiday with our dog

I've booked the island hopper Hopscotch 12, Skye Harris Lewis & Uists. We plan on booking some official campsites every few days, to use the electrics, get water, empty the loo etc - but we're also hoping to do a lot of wild camping. Must say I'm a bit nervous about the wild camping, and not really sure what to expect?! I have fears of getting stuck in the mud on a tiny narrow lane, and upsetting the locals by accidentally parking up in their garden!

I'm organising the finer details of our trip over the weekend, so if anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd be very grateful. If all goes well we're hoping to buy our own camper, fingers crossed!

Happy camping!

Guernsey Donkey Guest

Western Isles

Hi Samjc84 Have you looked at these links - if we can be of any help to you - send me an email
    spinning_wheel@btinternet.com - Have a safe journey and enjoy.

John & Ruth
    Last edited by Guernsey Donkey; 28-08-2011 at 09:40.

cyclops2 Guest
    Just got back yesterday from Benbecula and the Uists. On tuesday went to Lochmaddy to book the ferry for the following day and on the way out spotted the "W" on my satnav outside the Lochmaddy Hotel only 200 yards from the ferry terminal. Parked went inside to ask and was told no problem. Had a few pints and great meals, the first outwith the van and slept outside. The service was excellent. Plenty of wildcamping sites around and the Shell Bay site at Liniclate Benbecula is reasonable at 18 a night van + 2. It is next to the main school on the islands which has cafe and swimming pool. Next to that is the Dark Island Hotel. Very useful at the North end of South Uist in Eochar (Iochdar) Village hall is Mary's Cafe which has a CDP and water outside. This can be accessed when cafe closed. The old road outside is ideal for overnight. Stinky Bay between Balivanich and Liniclate on Benbecula is a great site but at low tide lives up to its name. Possibly better for a mealstop at high tide.
    Pete
    Certa Cito
    Likes N/A liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information