CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Heating the van with the gas hob

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Indeed not all boats are modern. But older boats can be fitted with modern devices such as bilge blowers.

I do my boating mainly on inland waterways, and yes we have our fair share of fires/explosions. Mainly on boats who's owners do not fit such devices!
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2.8 hdi Peugeot Boxer LWB minibus self build
    Quote Originally Posted by boisdevie View Post
    I don't have a proper heater or the budget for one. I test my CO detector regularly and will not just fall asleep with the hob lit - I don't drink (ever) and I don't do drugs so I'm not going to just fall asleep by accident. So, where is the danger exactly?
    And comments such as NO NO NO without any argument are of no use whatsoever.
    I have thought about this subject (and did a bit of research on the net) when I built my van, in the end, bought a propex heater (but was lucky enough to afford one).

I am no expert but I believe an increase in carbon monoxide can make you sleepy or fall asleep - which is what catches people out. Remember that the small camping heaters are designed for tents where there is plenty of airflow, a van will be more airtight so no airflow.

But we all make cups of tea in our vans and have the hob on for 10-15 mins so perhaps you could boil a kettle and a pan of water and turn the hob off and the hot water filled kettle will act like a small radiator . Not sure how long it will take for the van to cool down though! I do notice the air quality change in the van (probably other fumes) when I have boiled a kettle so I tend to open the window but I do use the van in the winter just early spring to late autumn.

End if the day there is risk in everything we do - using the hob to heat your van with all precautions just increases your risk of dying form carbon monoxide. Bit like Russian roulette you might get away with it but there is a high chance you might not!

Just my thoughts.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    My thoughts on this are quite simple, there is no substitute for correct heating and ventilation.

Using a hob for heat gives us two potential problems, Any fault on the burners that effects efficient combustion will result in producing Carbon Monoxide. Even when tested flame picture is realistically all that can be observed. Food detritus , spilt liquids can soon affect burning efficiency,

To give an idea only 400 parts per million of CO can produce risk of life after 3 hours exposure. It does not take a lot of CO to kill people. Naturally a cooker you wouldn't use for this period but the OP is talking about heating. in a small space and I often wonder how many self builds particularly are adequately ventilated.

Even if things are working correctly, correct combustion produces Carbon dioxide co2 and water vapour. The latter is condensation as the temperature drops, the atmosphere becomes "damp" and uncomfortable.

A lot of people invest faith in carbon monoxide detectors and whilst never a bad idea, Better to have than not have , It seems to me people see them as the guardian angel and they are NOT

By nature of motor home size and the size of the living space correct location is extremely difficult and often a compromise. The type of detector for info purposes should comply with EN 50291 and installation should comply with EN 50292 ( the latter is a guide for selection siting and maintenance )

Considerations where not to site

1) Where they can be obstructed by furniture blinds and curtains
    2)Where it located in an area subject to draughts of fresh air , so doors windows and vents
    3)Above or adjacent to sources of heat
    4)Where dirt or dust can or could block the sensors
    5) In damp or humid areas.

Hopefully I have demonstrated and readers can see motorhomes are not conducive to correct installation by their nature.

My last point is I get the impression people see them as foolproof , and a guaranteed insurance .I am suggesting they aren't !Of course they are useful but please don't think they are a guaranteed Get out of Jail card

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Nissan cabstar - Star Trekker
    Our van Geraldine has a two hob burner and a grill. In the mornings we like a cup of tea first thing,the kettle boils away happily not setting off the Co2 Alarm. Later when we want some toast cooked under the grill the Co2 Alarm goes mental and we open as many vents as possible.
    Sometimes wish we had some heating, but 500 plus is a lot of money to spend.
    Cheers.
    David
    The member formally known as Star Trekker and DavidV

Member Number
    Motorhome
    LDV Convoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldine View Post
    Our van Geraldine has a two hob burner and a grill. In the mornings we like a cup of tea first thing,the kettle boils away happily not setting off the Co2 Alarm. Later when we want some toast cooked under the grill the Co2 Alarm goes mental and we open as many vents as possible.
    Sometimes wish we had some heating, but 500 plus is a lot of money to spend.
    Cheers.
    David
    The predictable answer will be. How much is your life worth?
    Last edited by 1888; 17-02-2017 at 19:00.

IanH Guest
    Assuming you survive the experiment, please do consider that burning one unit (pint/gallon/litre pound, whatever you wish) of gas, the by product, among lethal gases is the same unit of WATER

Burn gas, in a non ventilated space, get condensation/damp................

Member Number
    Motorhome
    wobble box
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    Just so people know. Commercial roof lights are permanently ventilated even when closed
    yes ,i also belive that if you have a fridge there is ample ventilation as the vents on the outside work quite well ,i say this because every camper ,motorhome or caravan i have been in ,you seem to have a hurricane blowing through them at times .i certainly would not leave any heating on overnight , no matter what , i can think of other better activities to keep warm , also a duvet or decent sleeping bag is quite adequate .
    in the process of hunting for another tin shed on wheels

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    yes ,i also belive that if you have a fridge there is ample ventilation as the vents on the outside work quite well ,i say this because every camper ,motorhome or caravan i have been in ,you seem to have a hurricane blowing through them at times .i certainly would not leave any heating on overnight , no matter what , i can think of other better activities to keep warm , also a duvet or decent sleeping bag is quite adequate .
    The back of the fridge gets ventilated/cooled with exterior air, there should be none or minimal air from the van getting behind the fridge. If.there is then it's because it has been fitted incorrectly. Usually the top baffle is missing, even manufacturers have been known to 'forget' to install this top baffle.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner Delphin Performance T821
    I have yet to own a van that has the Fridge sealed 100% from the interior. This is usually discovered when a strong breeze is blowing on the side of the van where the vents are. Self builders probably do a better job in this respect than the big manufacturers.
    My dream job is to be a sound engineer. I don't know why, I just want to - want to.

wakk44 is offline Full member
    Name: Steve
    Spouse: memsahib

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B644
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    I have yet to own a van that has the Fridge sealed 100% from the interior. This is usually discovered when a strong breeze is blowing on the side of the van where the vents are. Self builders probably do a better job in this respect than the big manufacturers.
    That is very true,I have had an Autotrail that had quite a breeze when the fridge vents were on the windward side and even the current Hymer which is allegedly one of the premium brands lets some air through in high winds.
    If at first you don't succeed,skydiving is not for you.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information