CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas connections!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5

Gas connections

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    It is very difficult to explain via text what is required to conform to the correct requirements.It does take a long time to train to become qualified.
    There are so many little requirements that would take an age to explain. The most important points are fluing ventilation and installation. As Gas fitters we have the obligation to protect Life and Property when installing pipework and appliances.
    It is very important that the system is installed to the correct BS.
    Regards

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vw Crafter
    Quote Originally Posted by countrycruisers View Post
    It is very difficult to explain via text what is required to conform to the correct requirements.It does take a long time to train to become qualified.
    There are so many little requirements that would take an age to explain. The most important points are fluing ventilation and installation. As Gas fitters we have the obligation to protect Life and Property when installing pipework and appliances.
    It is very important that the system is installed to the correct BS.
    Regards
    Thanks for your help and concern, I understand that there is a lot more to it than just making a few connections and in certainly don't want to endanger any lives ( or property) I just want to do as much of it as a I can safely myself and at least make sure that I have all the right components so that when I do get it checked and tested I won't have to rip it all out.
    I also got my local library to source the BS1949 booklet for me to read before doing any work.
    Thanks for your answers

P.S. do you do gas installations/testing in campers yourself, and if so you're not based in the south east by any chance?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vw Crafter

Doh

Strike that, I just looked at your profile and see that you are in Wales.
    Thanks for the advice

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueCamper View Post
    I thought screwfix would only do 10mm and up.
    I was more concerned with the joint sealing properly to 2 types of pipe and that there might have been a specialized connector when to connect steel to
    Copper
    Straight Coupling 8mm x 8mm | Compression Coupling | Screwfix.com

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5

Gas connector

Bingo!!! I have just printed out the BS 1949:2011+A1:2013 section 7.3.1 states 'Metallic fittings shall be of the following types (see figure 7)'
    Fig 7 gives a pictorial of 5 different fittings that can be used. a) Cutting ring type. b) Capillary type c) Flared type d) Compression type e) Threaded type.
    Section 7.3.2 Then states 'In addition, the following requirements shall apply:'
    ' fittings using rubber or plastic seals shall be used only for the connection of cylinders and pressure regulating systems;'
    ' plastic fittings shall not be used'
    'dimensions of cutting ring fittings shall comply with EN ISO 8434-1'
    'where cutting ring fittings are used in conjunction with copper pipe, a brass insertion sleeve and brass cutting ring shall be fitted unless copper pipe complying to EN1057, specification R 290 is used. When using cutting rings all components shall be matched, i.e. of the same series'
    'capillary type fitting shall comply with EN 1254-1 and shall be jointed by hard soldering;'
    'flared type fitting shall comply with ISO 8434-2'
    'compression fitting EN 1254-2;'
    'threaded fitting for nozzle EN 1254-4 or EN 10226-1;'
    'for caravan holiday homes only, other connections may be used, if they are in accordance with national standards.'

Above is word by word of the british standard for fittings in a Leisure accommodation vehicle.
    So if you use compression fittings to EN 1254-2 you will be using the right fittings made to the correct standard.
    The screwfix link you have placed on the page above looks as if the fitting has the correct EN 1254-2 therefore it is suitable to use. It is also suitable to connect to the steel bundy tube on your appliances.
    Hope this helps

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vw Crafter

Member Number
    Yes same fittings for copper pipe don,t forget the drop out holes under all joints

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vw Crafter
    Quote Originally Posted by countrycruisers View Post
    Bingo!!! I have just printed out the BS 1949:2011+A1:2013 section 7.3.1 states 'Metallic fittings shall be of the following types (see figure 7)'
    Fig 7 gives a pictorial of 5 different fittings that can be used. a) Cutting ring type. b) Capillary type c) Flared type d) Compression type e) Threaded type.
    Section 7.3.2 Then states 'In addition, the following requirements shall apply:'
    ' fittings using rubber or plastic seals shall be used only for the connection of cylinders and pressure regulating systems;'
    ' plastic fittings shall not be used'
    'dimensions of cutting ring fittings shall comply with EN ISO 8434-1'
    'where cutting ring fittings are used in conjunction with copper pipe, a brass insertion sleeve and brass cutting ring shall be fitted unless copper pipe complying to EN1057, specification R 290 is used. When using cutting rings all components shall be matched, i.e. of the same series'
    'capillary type fitting shall comply with EN 1254-1 and shall be jointed by hard soldering;'
    'flared type fitting shall comply with ISO 8434-2'
    'compression fitting EN 1254-2;'
    'threaded fitting for nozzle EN 1254-4 or EN 10226-1;'
    'for caravan holiday homes only, other connections may be used, if they are in accordance with national standards.'

Above is word by word of the british standard for fittings in a Leisure accommodation vehicle.
    So if you use compression fittings to EN 1254-2 you will be using the right fittings made to the correct standard.
    The screwfix link you have placed on the page above looks as if the fitting has the correct EN 1254-2 therefore it is suitable to use. It is also suitable to connect to the steel bundy tube on your appliances.
    Hope this helps
    Fantastic you are a legend!
    Will check out screwfix, but there are quite a few bits I need and BES ,that you mentioned have most of them at a very good price...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vw Crafter
    Quote Originally Posted by witzend View Post
    Yes same fittings for copper pipe don,t forget the drop out holes under all joints
    Cheers, yep they are in already, by the gas bottles, manifold, cooker and fridge.
    Think I'll go for the bulkhead regulator and pigtails instead of rubber hose too.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueCamper View Post
    Think I'll go for the bulkhead regulator and pigtails instead of rubber hose too.
    Yes thats a matter of personal choice but regulators aren,t any more expensive than pigtails and bulkhead regs are costly and there have been reports of problems with them
    Last edited by witzend; 19-02-2017 at 12:38.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information