CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Gas connections!

  1. #1

    Member Number
    66972
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    14
    Motorhome
    Vw Crafter

    Gas connections!



    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi I'm new here, I am converting a exLWB crafter into a motorhome.
    I am doing the gas at the moment, I am pretty competent and will have it all checked and pressure tested at the end.
    It is a fairly simple set up,
    -gas bottles at the back, 8mm pipe running the length of the van to a 2way manifold
    -One outlet to a spinflo triplex cooker, one to a Dometic fridge.

    I obviously need 2 straight couplers to connect my appliances to my copper pipes but the inlet pipes on the cooker and fridge
    Seem to be stainless steel??
    My question is do you use steel compression coupler and olives or a copper one.
    Will a copper coupler bond to the steel pipe, and visa-versa.
    Or can you use a steel coupler with a copper olive on the copper pipe side??
    No one seems to mention this being an issue, they just say- connect the appliance....
    Any help appreciated
    Grant

  2. #2

    Member Number
    15829
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,755
    Brass joiner with what ever olive comes with it

  3. #3

    Member Number
    66972
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    14
    Motorhome
    Vw Crafter
    Thanks for answer, do you use brass on your copper to copper connections too, or just final one to the appliance.
    Also, am I right that the inlet pipes are steel on these appliances it certainty looks like it

  4. #4

    Member Number
    22077
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,256
    Motorhome
    Self-build
    Maybe a daft question but do you have the appliances yet? Only ask as mine came with the male, female connector parts and olives / bite-rings.

    The only connector I needed to get for an appliance was for the gas hob as it was a domestic half inch bsp so I needed to step it down to 8mm.

    Edit. Also, don't forget to fit a pressure test point. Arguably not essential, but for the couple of quid it costs it makes life easier later on.
    Last edited by hextal; 15-02-2017 at 20:00.

  5. #5

    Member Number
    16509
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    14,702
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger
    don't know if it's steel seems to be, but as Witzend says, use whatever olive comes with the joint. i get my 8mm connections from Screwfix and they have brass olives, so that's what i use. i have a feeling you may be worrying about different metals reacting with each other. never known it happen in gas piping in vans

  6. #6

    Member Number
    39129
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    40
    Motorhome
    VW T5

    Gas pipe materials

    Hi as a gas safe engineer I can confirm there is a BS for the fittings that can be used. I will check on the BS tomorrow in work.
    The fittings must have soft copper parallel olives the type found in WADE brass fittings. They are more expensive than your Screwfix fittings. They are available from BES online.
    You use the same fitting to connect the bundy tube on appliances.
    Hope this helps

  7. #7

    Member Number
    28291
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,748
    Motorhome
    IVECO 75 E17 SELF BUILD
    Quote Originally Posted by countrycruisers View Post
    Hi as a gas safe engineer I can confirm there is a BS for the fittings that can be used. I will check on the BS tomorrow in work.
    The fittings must have soft copper parallel olives the type found in WADE brass fittings. They are more expensive than your Screwfix fittings. They are available from BES online.
    You use the same fitting to connect the bundy tube on appliances.
    Hope this helps
    We have always used wade type brass fittings from various leisure industry suppliers but it seems in more recent times many fittings now come with either a brass or steel alloy ? type olive especially the Truma gas manifolds etc, but then a lot of the german vans that come in also have steel piping ,lost count of how many german vans I've had come in with rusted through pipe work especially where the connection is made to the Truma heaters under the van. Worth any Hymer owners checking this if they find they are having problems with gas appliances

  8. #8

    Member Number
    66972
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    14
    Motorhome
    Vw Crafter
    Quote Originally Posted by hextal View Post
    Maybe a daft question but do you have the appliances yet? Only ask as mine came with the male, female connector parts and olives / bite-rings.

    The only connector I needed to get for an appliance was for the gas hob as it was a domestic half inch bsp so I needed to step it down to 8mm.

    Edit. Also, don't forget to fit a pressure test point. Arguably not essential, but for the couple of quid it costs it makes life easier later on.
    Yes I do have the fridge and the cooker both just have bare pipe unfortunately, I was hoping they would come with connectors!

    I will defo put in a test point, thanks.
    Still deciding on whether to get a bulkhead regulator with a built in test point and pigtails or stick with the old way of rubber hose/regulator as I have
    A few of them already for various countries.
    In which case I'll put a test point in where I convert to the copper

  9. #9

    Member Number
    66972
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    14
    Motorhome
    Vw Crafter
    Quote Originally Posted by countrycruisers View Post
    Hi as a gas safe engineer I can confirm there is a BS for the fittings that can be used. I will check on the BS tomorrow in work.
    The fittings must have soft copper parallel olives the type found in WADE brass fittings. They are more expensive than your Screwfix fittings. They are available from BES online.
    You use the same fitting to connect the bundy tube on appliances.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks for that. I will check the wade fittings out, I was looking at fittings at Rainbow conversions.
    I was mainly just thrown buy the appliances having no connectors and steel pipes as I thought any connectors needed to be of harder
    Alloy than the pipes to compress them properly, so I thought that connector would have to be steel. But was concerned that it might not
    Seal to the copper pipe properly
    They do sell steel 8mm connectors at leisureshopdirect.

  10. #10

    Member Number
    66972
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    14
    Motorhome
    Vw Crafter
    Quote Originally Posted by n brown View Post
    don't know if it's steel seems to be, but as Witzend says, use whatever olive comes with the joint. i get my 8mm connections from Screwfix and they have brass olives, so that's what i use. i have a feeling you may be worrying about different metals reacting with each other. never known it happen in gas piping in vans
    I thought screwfix would only do 10mm and up.
    I was more concerned with the joint sealing properly to 2 types of pipe and that there might have been a specialized connector when to connect steel to
    Copper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •