CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are the most important items needed in a campervan

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    The main thing to consider and do to the best of your ability and expense is fit the most adequate and best insulation you can afford you will end up using the van in cold spells and inadequate insulation will cost you money in heating or by not using the van.
    It's a difficult nye impossible job to try to fit insulation after units have been fitted.
    Secondly consider fitting heating a Eberspacher will cost nearly a thousand pound but if you are to wild camp worth the extra money.

Alf

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    There are a few things that are required for it to be registered as a motor caravan. So they are on the "must have" list. Some converters struggle with the requirement of the length of bed, which is silly. The length can be measured corner to corner, like a TV screen, because 'length' is not defined on the rules.

The top priority I would add is a combination feature:
    You need good insulation, but it MUST have an effective vapour barrier on the warm side of the insulation, or the bodywork will rot away.
    You also need to make sure that cushions, bedding etc has ventilation on their cool side, so slatted (not board) bed bases, small panels to keep cushions off the walls.

After that, it is more a matter of choice. I would design in a toilet, because they make the van vastly more useful and hugely increase the number of places you can stop. But not everyone agrees.

I would install a gas tank, or at least a big refillable. Use gas wherever possible. It's cheaper and lighter than electrical power, Even "free" solar power costs more than autogas.
    Last edited by hairydog; 15-11-2017 at 18:39.
    Likes helen262, Debroos liked this post
    Thanks jimjolli thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Quote Originally Posted by Obanboy666 View Post
    For me all the creature comforts of home or I wouldnít bother.
    My days of roughing it are long gone so although I only have a mwb Renault based van conversion it has a solar panel, refillable gas, hob, oven, shower, loo and last but not least a tv and satellite.
    No way would I be without the loo especially the amount of times I have to go during the night lol !

I`ll second that particularly the last sentence
    You Look Nice Are You The Doctor
    Likes Obanboy666 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
    There are certain features you have to have if you plan to re-register the vehicle as a campervan.

For example, you have to install a cooker, you cannot use a stowable camping stove.

Have a look at this link;

Converting a vehicle into a motorhome - GOV.UK
    Thatís a great link for you and very helpful. However you donít need a cooker and many European vans donít have them. A two burner hob meets the requirement for cooking.
    Likes Robmac liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    For me, a proper camper needs, toilet, shower, heating and a hob. Without these your nearer to a day van. Given that, if you were going to mainly use sites it would change the requirements.
    Last edited by phillybarbour; 15-11-2017 at 08:07.
    Likes alwaysared liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T4 Villa XL High Top
    I'd seriously reconsider the loo.
    We downsized from a coachbuilt with fixed bed, bathroom & separate shower to a campervan with a rock&roll bed & a porta-potti.
    The only place for the porta-potti was at the end of the bed. We coped.
    =^..^=
    Likes Debroos liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    citroen relay conversionish stealth camper
    Definitely reconsider loo for emergencies. We have a portable loo like this....
    Sunncamp Lulu Tourlet Portable Compact Camping Festival Toilet | eBay
    which was invaluable when I had an upset stomach and nowhere near toilets. Strong container to wee in at night with a she-wee for ladies has been important. Our next van we have decided that a loo will be a must! Shower we can do without but not the loo!
    I also have a supply of stoma air freshener sprays which sort out the Chernobyl problem! Tbh we don't use the loo much except as a stool (!) But it is really essential.
    Likes Debroos liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat Ducato
    Thanks for all your tips so far. Looks like I may go back to the drawing board regarding the toilet - even if it's just a porta potti and not a whole bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    The top priority I would add is a combination feature:
    You need good insulation, but it MUST have an effective vapour barrier on the warm side of the insulation, or the bodywork will rot away.
    You also need to make sure that cushions, bedding etc has ventilation on their cool side, so slatted (not board) bed bases, small panels to keep cushions off the walls.

hairydog, thanks for that. Yes, I definitely need to include a vapour barrier, but not sure exactly how much of one I need. I don't want to clog up this thread with vapour barrier questions so I'm going to start a new one and hopefully get some more help there.

Thank you.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    nu venture rio
    A safe place for the scotch is a must
    Likes REC liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Twin
    In relation to your comments about your girlfriend using the toilet, (which I hope you have shared with her), you can eliminate smells in your toilet compartment by fitting a SOG system. This also means that you do not have to use chemicals to stop the toilet smelling which is much better for the environment and cheaper in the long run. Some people on this forum have the in my view erroneous opinion that SOG systems suck smells to the outside of the van. So long as the appropriate filter is fitted and changed at the first sniff of external smells there should be no problem in this respect. Please see: What is a SOG ? - SOG Toilet Kits, SOG Systems

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information