CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Esparcher night heater installation

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    i put a separate tank on my first eber. just more hassle and diesel stink . tank's still around i think
    of all the bodily functions that could be contagious
    thank god it's only the yawn

Member Number
    Frankly the only viable reason for having a separate tank is IF you want to use a diesel Eberspacher in a petrol vehicle ....
    other than that a separate tank is just pfaff and unneeded complication ....
    A diesel Eber uses so little fuel if you are wanting to run it on red you would be better with tea lights and a plant pot (joking BTW)
    Likes Alf, Fazerloz liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

grath is offline Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star Edition 3 Ltr, 4500kg
    Hey guys cool, it was just an option if the proper way was too much hassle
    Graham+Kath = grath
    Tramping the Dream, Chasing Rainbows & Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    Frankly the only viable reason for having a separate tank is IF you want to use a diesel Eberspacher in a petrol vehicle ....
    other than that a separate tank is just pfaff and unneeded complication ....
    A diesel Eber uses so little fuel if you are wanting to run it on red you would be better with tea lights and a plant pot (joking BTW)
    Or ...... you have a Diesel vehicle which you run on SVO..... I was looking for a suitable location for a 2nd fuel tank on my veggie powered T4 but never got round to fitting the heater in the end in it (used on the T4 instead).

PS. My understanding is that red diesel is kerosene aka heating oil? If this IS the case, then Eber don't recommend using it anyway (I checked as if I were fit a second tank it would make sense to scoop oil out of the home heating tank)
    VW LT Camperbus Build Blog.- https://www.facebook.com/Wildebus
    Likes Welsh will liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    Or ...... you have a Diesel vehicle which you run on SVO..... I was looking for a suitable location for a 2nd fuel tank on my veggie powered T4 but never got round to fitting the heater in the end in it (used on the T4 instead).

PS. My understanding is that red diesel is kerosene aka heating oil? If this IS the case, then Eber don't recommend using it anyway (I checked as if I were fit a second tank it would make sense to scoop oil out of the home heating tank)
    Red diesel AFAIK is almost if not identical to white diesel just with a dye/chemical trace added..

I Know folks that reckon they have run their eberspacher on veg oil.... but frankly I'd not bother (tried it for a while in one of the Landrovers powered by a, 2.5 tdi... and I wouldn't bother again unless I was getting WVO fully processed for free)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent 15
    Red diesel AFAIK is almost if not identical to white diesel just with a dye/chemical trace added..

I Know folks that reckon they have run their eberspacher on veg oil.... but frankly I'd not bother (tried it for a while in one of the Landrovers powered by a, 2.5 tdi... and I wouldn't bother again unless I was getting WVO fully processed for free)
    Yes red is normal diesel with dye to signify duty free for non road use , having said that my old mate ran all his vehicles for 30 years or more traveling all over Europe, the crafty old git even used to hide full oil drums of red to fill on way back !
    I had a tank for my plant and he would come over and fill up with red in his car or camper in later years.
    I often wonder if the old bugger is still alive , he used to get a standby ticket on the ferries then swap the windscreen label from some poor unsuspecting holidaymakers as they had tea in the port cafe .
    Spent his life ducking and diving a proper character.
    Forgot one of his best was his love of vat !
    Charged his customers vat for years but he was never registered
    Last edited by Chainsaw Charlie; 08-12-2017 at 00:33.

grath is offline Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star Edition 3 Ltr, 4500kg
    Yes, Red is the same stuff, just coloured so the Custom and Excise can recognise it, and there is also Green!
    A Transport Company that I worked for got one hell of a bIG fine! Something in the region of a million and it took them down along with lots of sub contractors!
    Graham+Kath = grath
    Tramping the Dream, Chasing Rainbows & Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus

Eberspacher will void the warranty if run on the wrong fuel - and veg oil would not be a good idea - it tends to get very thick and lumpy when it is cold - about the time you need the heater working ....
    I used to use 100% rapeseed oil in the summer and gradually via a mix progress to 100% diesel in the winter (for the engine this is). One of my neighbours didn't bother changing in the winter - his pickup fuel lines had solid oil in them.

part way filling up here
    imagejpg1-2 by David, on Flickr
    (found the 20L drums a pain and no cheaper then the 1L bottles, so process was off to Bookers ... buy cases of oil... Fill up in carpark ... drop the empties at their recycling area)
    VW LT Camperbus Build Blog.- https://www.facebook.com/Wildebus
    Likes Alf, Welsh will liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vw T5
    Thanks everyone for your interesting comments. I intend on fitting a stand pipe into my original fuel tank, something i didnt know until i read all your advice so thank you.
    It looks like the D2 will only use aprox 0.28 ltr fuel when on max so due to space im going to use the original fuel tank.
    Im at present fitting a clutch & flywheel in the van as it slipped just the once but its slipped so want to play safe. Whilst i have it in air i think im going to drop tank and fit stand pipe ready for full installation. My intentions are to fit under drivers seat with heater fuel pump mounted in engine bay, mainly due to clicking issues on pump. What are your thoughts on mounting it under drivers seat? Read about some people mounting them underneath the vehicle...my concern with this is British weather! Working to a tight budget i dont really want to ve spending on a box.
    Thanks again everyone for all your comments, as a novice converter i really appreciate them

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsh will View Post
    Thanks everyone for your interesting comments. I intend on fitting a stand pipe into my original fuel tank, something i didnt know until i read all your advice so thank you.
    It looks like the D2 will only use aprox 0.28 ltr fuel when on max so due to space im going to use the original fuel tank.
    Im at present fitting a clutch & flywheel in the van as it slipped just the once but its slipped so want to play safe. Whilst i have it in air i think im going to drop tank and fit stand pipe ready for full installation. My intentions are to fit under drivers seat with heater fuel pump mounted in engine bay, mainly due to clicking issues on pump. What are your thoughts on mounting it under drivers seat? Read about some people mounting them underneath the vehicle...my concern with this is British weather! Working to a tight budget i dont really want to ve spending on a box.
    Thanks again everyone for all your comments, as a novice converter i really appreciate them
    Ours is under the passenger seat (swivel) (transit Jumbo) with pump mounted externally under the drivers side on a rubber mount...
    If you listen hard you can just hear the fuel pump click....
    Likes Welsh will liked this post
    Thanks Welsh will thanked for this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information