CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Solar

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by POI Admin View Post
    I'll say this very, very quietly ... but I'm going to fit an Efoy device later in the year.
    The noise level is right, the installation cost is OK, but the running cost is ridiculous. You may as well burn fivers as a heat source - and they're more easily available.

OK, I exaggerate slightly, but not much. What do you calculate the per-KW cost of running an efoy is?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota
    For me the running cost is not hugely important.

I know from a number of winters that I have spent in the 'van that it will not be used that much, mostly because I head south. As mentioned I now full-time so my energy costs are much reduced consequently the fuel cost doesn't matter that much.

It's the ability to generate power with no noise that is very important to me, and the relatively green aspects are important too.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk
    Likes Obanboy666, R0B, 2cv, Clunegapyears, Tezza33 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    The efoy looks a very nice system but for myself I don't think I could bring myself to use that due to the running cost of the fuel.

In summer I am confident my largish Solar + Battery system will provide everything I need power wise, using it for both refrigeration and cooking.
    I designed my setup to use for primarily summer and some 3-season camping, and would think it would be ok for that still.

However in Winter, I can't see an all-electric setup being able to cope with a Wild Camping scenario if you were settled in one spot for say 3 or more days unless you had maybe 500Ah of USABLE battery power (I have 220Ah).
    Should I be in that kind of situation, I will be fine for Fridge and the like for an extended period, but I would be using my little gas cartridge burner that I carry for outside use, than the Induction Hob for cooking/tea making.

Heating wise, diesel heater whenever I get round to installing it plus Electric Blanket just fitted this afternoon to try out potentially this weekend, but those gas burners put out a lot of heat anyway as a by-product, so using one of those winter could kill two birds with one stone (and talking of killing birds, window cracked open and roof fan on when in use of course!)
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    what is efoy ? my computer cant seem to find it .... thanks

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    what is efoy ? my computer cant seem to find it .... thanks
    EFOY Pro Range - Fuel Cell Systems
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Member Number
    A mid range fuel cell would only supply 100W - !50W/Hr. of energy,
    roughly the output energy of a 200-300W solar system running in the summer
    months for a similar number of hours.

In a UK winter the fuel cell will of course supply the same energy, and charge
    the batteries for items requiring low power demands LED lights and TV computer eg. Whereas the
    solar panel output will be little better than neglible. But the large energy consumer
    is likely to be winter space heating and for this you'd need a large fuel cell charging a
    large capacity battery bank. Not always practical in a motorhome due to weight considerations
    So for space heating it usually means gas or diesel fired heaters, or a petrol/diesel generator
    or woodburner.

Any 'green' environmental benefits attributable to a fuel cell @ 100W-150W will be fairly
    marginal when weighed against the minimum +1kW output of the fossil fuelled generator
    or gas/diesel space heater that would be required. Still to some silence is golden and that
    combined with avoiding a possible smack in the face for running a noisy generator, the
    high costs associated with running a fuel cell might be a price well worth paying
    Likes R0B, DnK liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    I anticipate a fuel cell powered by LPG suitable for topping up EV batteries will come on the market.

It would be ideal on a motorhome, but the larger EV market may bring the price down from the insane efoy levels.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs globetrotter lxi
    The efoy seems to draw some controversy over costs and running costs sure itís not for everybody but if you can get over that fact and get youíre head around the sheer convince of having a clean 24 hour noise free source of energy then itís a great wee piece of kit Iíve been using mine since jan this year and wouldnít be without it now remember itís not running all the time and very little use in summer months Iíve found that if I take it off the automatic settings installed and use manually when needed the fuel consumption is nominal think Iíve used about £30 of fuel and most of that running it when testing and getting used too it works well for me Iíve probably got enough fuel to last 2 or three years stored as most of cost of fuel is made up on delivery say you buy 1 tub you pay dangerous substance delivery charge but if you buy six you only pay this charge once
    OOR WUSSY

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronic View Post

Any 'green' environmental benefits attributable to a fuel cell @ 100W-150W will be fairly
    marginal when weighed against the minimum +1kW output of the fossil fuelled generator
    or gas/diesel space heater that would be required. Still to some silence is golden and that
    combined with avoiding a possible smack in the face for running a noisy generator, the
    high costs associated with running a fuel cell might be a price well worth paying

My point was that it's greener using an Efoy than running a generator ...
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by POI Admin View Post
    My point was that it's greener using an Efoy than running a generator ...
    Will not find me disputing that well known fact. And solar panels out greens them all.
    Last edited by Byronic; 13-07-2018 at 08:18.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information