CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Solar

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T

Winter Solar

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I'm starting to think about solar panels and wondered how many watts would be required to get thru a UK winter,I need to charge tablet,phone and dongle,run a fridge and also have enough for a few hours TV.
    I understand there's not a great deal of sunlight hours,and what there is,is at a low angle,so what do people think I would need to get a charge into the batteries?
    Would it be a big advantage to have panels that could be raised to get a better angle?
    Thanks for any input,Dave
    668,the neighbour of the beast.
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    I'm starting to think about solar panels and wondered how many watts would be required to get thru a UK winter,I need to charge tablet,phone and dongle,run a fridge and also have enough for a few hours TV.
    I understand there's not a great deal of sunlight hours,and what there is,is at a low angle,so what do people think I would need to get a charge into the batteries?
    Would it be a big advantage to have panels that could be raised to get a better angle?
    Yes being able to angle the panels will help but you are going to need about 1KW of solar to survive a winter.
    Likes mrbigglesworth liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    Yes being able to angle the panels will help but you are going to need about 1KW of solar to survive a winter.
    I have to go with what I can afford this year,which is around half that,but next year I can probably add another 500 watts but it gives me some idea what I should be aiming for,thanks.

Member Number
    Do what we do and just move around.... And let our durite VSR
    We have 2 x 100w solar panels on the roof to charge 3 x 100ah leisure batteries, powering a 3000w inverter to run our microwave /toaster /kettle/slow cooker etc
    As well as eberspacher/waeco coolbox/TV etc
    However solar does very little in winter so VSR does the heavy work as we tend to move on each day.
    Likes time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    Do what we do and just move around.... And let our durite VSR
    We have 2 x 100w solar panels on the roof to charge 3 x 100ah leisure batteries, powering a 3000w inverter to run our microwave /toaster /kettle/slow cooker etc
    As well as eberspacher/waeco coolbox/TV etc
    However solar does very little in winter so VSR does the heavy work as we tend to move on each day.
    I'd really like the option of not having to constantly move just for the sake of getting power but rather when I'm ready,so I'm aiming for self sufficiency in power and water collection. There will be times that I can be parked up for several weeks.
    Likes Byronic liked this post

Member Number
    I'd really like the option of not having to constantly move just for the sake of getting power but rather when I'm ready,so I'm aiming for self sufficiency in power and water collection. There will be times that I can be parked up for several weeks.
    Appreciate that....
    Sadly though in the UK at least I reckon you are going to be up against it solar wise.
    Likes trevskoda, time4t, delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    I have been monitoring my Solar install since I fitted in last October, so that covers the winter months,including the snow etc that we suffered this year.
    If of interest I can post a graph and you can review the difference between the winter and summer months to get a flavour of the difference?

In my situation, where I park I suffer from Shadow and that is much more pronounced in the Winter, as has been mentioned but even more so with my parking location so as has been said, the low sun angle can be a problem and selecting a good parking spot can make a major difference.
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes Silver sprinter, time4t liked this post
    Thanks Silver sprinter thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Merc sprinter elwb van still to convert
    Hi wildest would be good to see your info, what about a nice generator, sounds good to me, and if anybody hangs around, you can let them plug in free, seems fair to me
    Likes Nabsim liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    I have been monitoring my Solar install since I fitted in last October, so that covers the winter months,including the snow etc that we suffered this year.
    If of interest I can post a graph and you can review the difference between the winter and summer months to get a flavour of the difference?

In my situation, where I park I suffer from Shadow and that is much more pronounced in the Winter, as has been mentioned but even more so with my parking location so as has been said, the low sun angle can be a problem and selecting a good parking spot can make a major difference.
    A graph is probably the only way I'll ever understand anything to do with electrics,so please do put it up,real world stats would be good to see.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    F.O.F with caravan stuff glued on
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post

My electrician mate used to install solar and from what he was telling me the industry recognised Sunlight for UK winter is 1 hours
    Add a lack of sunlight to a bad installation angle and the results are pretty appalling, we worked out it would require approximately 4kw of panels to power the Winnebago
    There are a fair number of motorhomes around now with large amounts of solar but even the guys with say 800 watts are only extending their season and still need ehu in winter.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information