CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Clarence the Safari Camperbus

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Been a few posts about the provision of low-power EHUs at campsites. I thought I would update this thread on how my Camperbus is setup to accomodate this situation.

I have a 3-way Consumer Unit and the Victron Multiplus Charger/Inverter is plugged into the 6A rated circuit.
    The Multiplus I have is the 12/800/35-16 Model - so for a 12 Volt System and with a 800VA (700W) Inverter and 35 Amp Charger, and with a maximum of 16A @240V current in. Some of that Current will go towards the Charger part, but the majority will be passed through as direct AC Mains supply to 13A Sockets.
    Clearly bringing in 16A would be a problem on a 6A EHU (and on my internal CU as well as I have a 6A MCB also). So I have reconfigured the maximum current to be 6A instead of the default 16A

Multiplus - VEC General
    by David, on Flickr

How this will work is that the Multiplus will never draw more than 6A (approx 1500W) from the Mains Supply.
    But I can still use more than 1500W on the 240V AC side though if more than the current setting (6A in my case now) is called for, as the Multiplus will automatically make up the difference from the Inverter. This will be up to a maximum of an additional 700W (and in fact, the overload power is more than double the Inverter rating for upto 30 seconds, so a 'pulsing' device like an 2000W Induction Hob would have no problems on a 6A circuit due to the Mains+Inverter+overload feature).

If I am on a 16A EHU (the Blue 'Commando' Plugs are rated at 16A Max BTW), then as well as the 6A circuit, I can also use either of the other 10A circuits in the Camperbus CU to their maximum without issues - or a mix of the two bearing in mind the maximum current allowed. So this setup should give me the flexibility of using AC power without risking tripping the breakers of the Hookup providers

As an aside, the Multiplus 12/800/35 is setup out the factory to run as a 26A charger rather than 35A. I think that is probably to avoid too high a charge level if the system has something like a 100Ah or smaller battery (35A on a standard 100Ah battery would be above most battery makers recommendations). So I changed this to the maximum 35A possible.

Multiplus - VEC Charger
    by David, on Flickr
    Last edited by wildebus; 29-12-2018 at 21:56. Reason: spelling
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit
    Likes Alf, Edina liked this post
    Thanks Edina thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise select 164
    Looking good
    Thanks wildebus thanked for this post

mariesnowgoose is offline Unreformed Mongoose
    Name: Marie
    Spouse: Neilyg

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ford Legend Auto-Sleeper 1988 Diesel
    It looks very impressive, David, but electrickery is mostly double dutch to me.

All I can currently manage is changing light bulbs and 3 pin house plugs!

I really need to become more educated on this whole subject...
    Life: unfinished threads in a never-ending tapestry
    Marie
    Likes wildebus liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Soon!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mariesnowgoose View Post
    It looks very impressive, David, but electrickery is mostly double dutch to me.

All I can currently manage is changing light bulbs and 3 pin house plugs!

I really need to become more educated on this whole subject...
    Glad it's not just me! I am afraid my eyes glaze over and brain shuts down when I see a control panel or someone talks amps and watts! Ok on how much wattage appliances use but what it really means is beyond me
    The van looks amazing btw!
    Thanks wildebus thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Thanks

I've actually changed the setup again since posting the last update (now running a Multiplus that can go upto 120A charge rate!)
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information