CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarence the Safari Camperbus

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner Aviano

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    And add another thumbs up from me.
    Great conversion and excellent write up and absolutely easy to spot.
    Pete
    Thanks wildebus thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Been trying to work out good table options. I don't think I will be using a fixed table much, but it is a requirement for Motor Caravan classification, so has be available.

I think I have come up with a solution. And this is the photo I will be sending to DVLA ...
    IMG_20180610_111454 by David, on Flickr

This shows the table on the removable post so attached to the vehicle as per DVLA requirements. But it is actually a standard Lifetime Table from Costco with folding legs, so can be used as normal and saves having to carry around a plain tabletop just for occasional use.

I also got round to cutting the 15 carpet offcut I bought a month ago to suit the living area ...

Carpet
    by David, on Flickr

Need to make a hole for the table leg of course. And need to decide where to trim the cab end. Probably will cut to put under the end trim piece.

Carpet
    by David, on Flickr

Also need to add a small section around the step threshold (the offcut width was just too narrow to cover that part as well ) but pretty pleased with how it looks for the price (this is a build on a budget!)
    Camperbus Blog and Website - www.wildebus.com
    Electrical Bits - stores.ebay.co.uk/Camper-Van-Kit

Member Number
    Motorhome

Daft Mod time :)

So I fitted this table leg kit a week ago or so and used a Costco table as a top
    IMG_20180610_111454 by David, on Flickr

Travelling a few thousand miles south, a TV Programme I enjoyed watching was "Sea Patrol", a drama based around a ship in the Royal Australian Navy. and in Series 2 they got a new ship, and on the Bridge of that new ship they seem to have what looks to me like a Cat Scratching Post
    SeaPatrolPost by David, on Flickr

From the first time I noticed that, I thought it would be great to have some kind of scratching post in my Camper for the cat, who loves her scratching post AND loves chilling out in the van.

So moving back to this afternoon, I can now reveal my own weird update
    IMG_20180613_152115 by David, on Flickr

It kinds of matches in better with the general planned Safari theme of the van rather than a chrome pole as well

Oh, and an under table shot to show how the table itself is dual purpose
    IMG_20180613_152132 by David, on Flickr
    The original legs are still fitted and functional, and the post mount is secured in place by both Sikaflex Adhesive and Bobby Ball (short and fat) Screws, plus the legs when closed go over around 30% of the mount surround which also keeps things nice and tight.

Member Number
    Motorhome

Woooo Hoooo!

Well .... I didn't want to jinx anything by saying, but I sent the Motor Caravan Reclassification Request into DVLA a week ago last Monday.

I was hopeful but not 100% sure as I only have single Hob top and depending on what DVLA go on, some operatives will be ok with one 'ring', but others will want to see two (In my letter I described it as a 2kW Hob, so it is blooming powerful!)

But as you can probably guess from this post ...

Computer says YES

Clarence the Safari Camperbus is now officially a Motor Caravan

Clarence Caravan
    by David, on Flickr

So as well as meeting the Insurance Requirements (reclassify within 3 months) I can drive at car speeds (as I have a ticket from a certified weighbridge that the ULW is under 3.05t)

Well Pleased with that, and got the V5C back super-fast as well

PS. I also amended the number of seats from the 7 I chose last time I reclassified to a "Van with Windows" down to 4. Unlikely to ever be more than 2 but I can plug in 2 more single seats behind the drivers if I want, so covered that possibility
    Last edited by wildebus; 22-06-2018 at 13:23.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    So I headed away from home last Thursday afternoon.
    Thursday night was a WC POI pubstop (Red Lion in Irlam. Nice. Would recommend); Friday was driveway Surfing; Saturday in a field; then Sunday, tonight and tomorrow night Driveaway Surfing again then heading home.
    Been a useful "field test" of the Conversion, especially given the high temperature throughout the time away so far! The fan has been running non-stop and is probably the biggest source of power. If I had a 'normal' battery pack and no solar I would have not been able to use at full power for very long!

Got a wee list of things I need to pack in future and some adjustments that are needed to make the camper more 'streamlined' internally. Definitely much nicer to live run than the T5 without a doubt, but still not perfect by any means.
    The fridge has been running at upto 45C due to the high temps. The fan can't really do much as that is what the internal temps have been hitting, but it hasn't missed a but. Really quite surprised, but in a very good way.
    The internal 'blinds' made from foil bubble wrap has done its job. Not the most decorative, but good and will keep them for Insulation even after I have the proper blinds done.
    Biggest issue I have is loose luggage sliding around the inside And need to secure it somehow - probably by building a tall storage cupboard. And as well as luggage shifting, the portapotti is too! Not actually in use this trip, but just in for emergency and to to evaluate where it should go to a permanent basis.
    So conclusion is still a work in progress but a very workable camper as it stands all the same.
    Likes mark61, Tezza33, ian1950, Discokegs liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    This weather is making the Overland Safari Camperbus look at home

I am sure I spotted a basking Lion in the tree?
    Searching for Game by David, on Flickr

Uh Oh. No, he came in for some shade!

Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion
    by David, on Flickr
    Likes Robmac, mark61, Tezza33, Moonraker 2 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    So ... I have finally finalised my interior design - at least up to the height of the windows anyway!

I am NOT fitting a toilet/shower room inside as decided like the openness of the interior and ability to be able to walk around inside rather then do sideways shuffling .

So this large section behind the [swivelling] drivers seat is nice and open

Dance Hall
    by David, on Flickr
    Now I know what I am doing there I was also able to finish off the panelling to replace the pretty yucky looking plastic sheet with paint smears on it

You will have noticed the cupboard to the right?

Mystery Cupboard?
    by David, on Flickr
    This has been fitted slightly offset away from the wall to allow storage of the removable table at the side (with a bathmat to keep in snugly in position).

It is another IKEA Kitchen Unit with a bit of tweaking only really evident when you open the doors...

WC Cupboard!
    by David, on Flickr
    The Bottom half stores the Portapotti. Not for use here, but a place to keep it out the way, stop it tipping over, etc. (yup, happened once a month ago but not after it had been used thankfully!). We have a Shower tent that can be put outside in the Safari Room which we put the loo into, but try to avoid using it generally if other options available. Back of the compartment is a storage section where I can keep paper, toilet chemicals and the like and to the left is a general storage area for cleaning and bathroom products. And finally on a small shelf above I have room for slim things such as a Laptop, trays and whathaveyou.
    In the middle is a Drawer - not yet worked out what that will be used for but it will be handy for something no doubt.

The top looks like a drawer but is actually a pull to a top loading chest area

Ottaman
    by David, on Flickr
    Handy extra worktop area as well of course and with the deep storage in there filled it with loads of random stuff right now.

Over to the other side, nothing significant has changed but a key thing I have added is an Upstand

Upstand
    by David, on Flickr
    This has been on the to-do list for a while as if anything sides off the top behind, it can drop behind the fridge and is virtually impossible to retrieve. So the Upstand goes down right to the window sill ledge so anything behind can be easily got back.

And means it is easy to just push bottles aside when cooking without loosing them!

Spices safe and sound
    by David, on Flickr

And added a little bit of wall storage by the door

Racks
    by David, on Flickr
    These are dead handy to keep the frequently used stuff such as Tea, Coffee, Sugar, Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum (), etc. Plus my Amazon Alexa Echo as well

Next van updates will be to the roof panelling that needs some tweaking and maybe some over-kitchen high (but slim) storage? I am also looking at a Hot Water system as well.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140
    Looking really good David It was good to meet you and to have the opportunity to see your safari bus at Druridge Bay. You've done a fantastic job... enjoy!
    Last edited by Minisorella; 19-08-2018 at 15:45.
    Thanks wildebus thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme
    Agree, You’ve created a stunning van. Always so full of admiration for people so talented. And just spotted you have more kitchen workspace that I have!!!

Sorry again about Oscar peeing on your awning!
    Last edited by Clunegapyears; 19-08-2018 at 21:04.
    Likes wildebus liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Ochre
    How about a tow car 😀

1141689C-DCE4-41DA-8C75-1810F3ACF70E.jpg
    2CV

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information