CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wild Camping APP (version 2)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    No - the app uses Google Maps which of course requires an internet connection.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    None

New iPhone app

I thought I read somewhere that you were working on a completely new IOS app for POIs. Is that correct? Any news of when it might be available?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW t3 Joker Westfalia

Displaying pois on Android

Hi, I have a oneplus android, downloaded the app, updates the pois etc.. Only problem I have a partial view of the poi's. I just see some of them in France (from Switzerland to Lyon) and the rest of France is a barren desert... :-) Tried to redownload the poi's (3 times) it does it very fast btw.. Is there a possibility to have them as a file to put somewhere on the phone manually ?
    I found out that if I change the "scaling ?" on the "choose a POI set" windows it redraws the map with the pois. But that's not what I want, I'd like to have done automatically when I move the map....
    ANy idea ?

Many thanks for the job, it's a great app btw. I love it !

Simon

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Good to hear that the app is working well for you.

It is quite an old app and some things don't work quite as well as they should. You're right about refreshing the icons, it has to be done manually. If you increase the area of coverage using the slider this will reduce the frequency.

There is a much enhanced version of the app in development ...
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T4 Holdsworth

icons and more questions

Running Samsung j5 android issues with pub stop POI keeps saying "problem Loading" wild camping POI's OK, also when clicking "W" icon the popup box Tiny Url is not a hyperlink just plain text so not linked to google maps (wireless connection working)

Just to confirm Wild Camping app does not work offline? just via GPS like maps.me?

I have downloaded maps.me app and this work great with loaded POI's but does not have the icon set as with Wild camping app, i have also loaded POI's on my Garmin drive 50 not tested yet should i see the Pub stop/wild camping icons when travelling on the Garmin?

Sorry for all the question new to this.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    If the app isn't working correctly I would advise you to uninstall and reinstall. Please also ensure that Google Maps is up-to-date.

The app just have an internet connection because it interfaces to Google Maps.

In case you haven't read it the user manual can be found here:

Wild Camping APP (version 2)

Garmin devices don't show third party POIs on the base map whilst driving.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T4 Holdsworth
    Thanks for the reply reinstalled app and POI's now working if i have wireless or data, i must of missed something as i assumed it would work offline so if in area with no mobile service no wild camping spots can be located via the app, really is a shame it cannot be used offline as maps.me can.......... so will be juggling between apps. Also a shame garmin does not display third party poi's unable to find any reference in wild camping documentation regarding any of these issue or am i missing something?, not having a go but perhaps my expectation where a bit high regarding the app.
    What stat nav would you recommend that does display the downloaded POI's and associated icon provide?

I would be interested in other forum users work around practices at planning routes?

Regards mjvw
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    There is a new version of the app under development which will address many of the shortcomings.

In the meantime maps.me is probably your best bet. It includes routing options so you might wish to try that first.

There are many different satnav options both as standalone devices or apps. None are perfect.

The newer TomTom devices have issues with third party POIs, as does the Garmin with its inability to display POIs on the base map. Snooper devices don't allow third party POIs to be loaded.

In my view apps are the best option. I use the TomTom mobile app and CoPilot for Caravans. Both work well.

Others I'm sure will contribute their views.
    Thanks mjvw thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T4 Holdsworth
    Thanks for an informed reply, just looking at all the options and to the release of the new wild camping app I guess it's down to the cost of licence to use some of the base maps etc.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598
    Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I got the impression that the new app had sort of lost its way.

When it arrives, unless it is going to replace both of the two existing apps, please can you make the START of its name different, so it is easy to distinguish in a list?

Yes.
    Likes N/A liked this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information