Choose POI Set

Shows number of POIs displayed for each POI set
    POI Info menu

Tap ? to show POI info in a larger font for easier reading
    Extra POI Info

Now you can share extra info with Wild Camping members
    POI marker icon

Each POI icon indicates the type of POI e.g. CU, LR, AF etc

* integrates with www.WildCamping.co.uk - a temporary custom POI set is available until this feature is fully implemented

Map markers show the type of POI

CR Car park Rural

CU Car park Urban

LR Layby Rural

LU Layby Urban

OR Other Rural location

OU Other Urban location

PH Public House stopover

WC Water Closet (public toilets)

WS Water Standpipe (this may be outside or inside a building)

WT Water Toilet (water available from a basin tap, for example)

AC Aire Chargeable (France)

AF Aire Free (France)

Map markers for the Custom POI
    AG Auto Gas

iOS: After installing and upon first running the app, you will need to allow your location to be accessed.

Android: The app will rotate and lock to whichever orientation the device is held.

Once open, you will be presented with a screen similar to above (without the menu)

At the right of the screen you will see the "locate me" button and, if you have Google Maps app installed, the Streetview Pegman.
    Holding Pegman will open a Streetview of the map centre. Note that if Google has no data for that location, you will get a message asking you to cancel.

Tap the "locate me" button to centre the map on your current location.

Menus are displayed by tapping the icon in the menu bar, you can hide them by tapping another icon or anywhere on the map.

Let`s go through the different icons at the top of the screen.

From left to right they are: W, Choose POIs, Choose map, Navigation, Share location and POI Info.

Menu.png

W - for getting your activation code, activating/deactivating your device and checking for/downloading POIs.

Make sure you are logged in to
    www.WildCamping.co.uk
    by typing in your username and password
    before you proceed with activation

This is the first button you should tap when starting from fresh. You`ll get this menu:

Tap "Get activation code" and your browser will open at the POI downloads page as shown below.
    You will have to log in with your username and password just as normal if you haven`t already done so.

IMG_0041[1].jpg

Once logged in you will see a 4 digit activation code like this:

Remember this code, we`ll need it shortly.

4.png

Go back to the app and tap "Activate this device".

You`ll be prompted for your username, which must be entered exactly as it is on the forum.

Next, enter the activation code. Finally, tap "Ok".

IMG_0042[1].jpg

If everything was entered correctly, you will see this message but instead of my details, it will have yours.

Tap "Ok" to move on.

IMG_0043[1].jpg

The app will check for new POIs since this is a fresh activation and a message will pop up saying the POI files are ready.

If not, there may be a message inviting you to try again.

The warning message is only precautionary. It means the file may have become corrupted during download.
    You can either try again or continue anyway, the app will handle a broken POI file by reading up to that point.

IMG_0050[1].jpg

The POIs are now ready to use so tap the second icon along i.e. "Choose a POI set..." and we get this menu:

Here we can choose which of the POI sets we`d like to view. You can tap any combination followed by "Ok".

The slider will allow you to choose an area from 50 to 300 square miles of the current map centre.

Attachment 32443

The selected POIs will appear on the map where they can be tapped to show their name and details.

Each POI displays an icon to indicate what type it is,
    e.g. CR (car park rural), CU (car park urban), WT (water tap), AF (aire free) etc.

The menu will also display how many of each POI set are being displayed.

Attachment 32444

The next icon "Choose a map..." will show a menu like this when tapped:

IMG_0053[1].jpg

There are four map styles available, Normal, Satellite, Terrain and Hybrid and also Traffic display.

Your selection will appear instantly.

IMG_0055.jpg

Next along is "Navigation"

Tapping this will open the navigation app to give directions from your current location to the centre of the map.

If you have Google Maps installed, that will be used instead of the standard app (e.g. Apple Maps on iOS).

"Share location" is next and this is used for submitting your location to the POI database.

A requester will appear asking if you wish to share your current location.
    Only use this if you wish to share your current location (i.e. where you are at the moment you tap the button).

Attachment 29957

Reply "Yes" and a fresh email will be opened. You just have to enter a Name and Details then tap "Send" - as easy as that!

If your device is connected to the internet, the email will be sent immediately.
    If not, the email will stay in your your "Outgoing" folder and will automatically be sent when you have internet.
    This process is automatic, you may store multiple locations in your "Outgoing" email folder.

Finally, the "?" button opens the "POI Info" menu where the POI details will be shown in a larger font for easier reading.

Below the details it says: "Tap here for more info". This will take you to the POI Extra Info section of WildCamping.co.uk.

Attachment 32471

The best way to learn is to dive in and try things. So go ahead and give it a whirl. Its brand new and as such not extensively tested so you may find little things that need fixing.
    If you find any, let me know and I`ll add it to my "to-do" list for the next update.

This is only a brief introduction - I`m happy to answer your questions so don`t be shy

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I typed in my details to activate but I get an error message

Make sure you type in your forum user name (not your email address) and the activation code from the POI download page.

I don`t see the Streetview Pegman

Install the Google Maps app and re-open this app

Here`s the Google Maps app link: Google Maps - Real-time navigation, traffic, public transport and nearby places on the App Store

I get a message from Google Maps saying "Cannot reach server"

This means Google has no Streetview data for the location you selected.

Can I save maps for offline use?

Yes, see here: Download and use offline areas - Maps for mobile Help

Do I need to update the app when new POIs are ready?

No, just click the menu that says 'Check for POI updates'.

I've upgraded to full membership but I'm still getting only the free samples

It may take a little time for the system to acknowledge you as a full member.
    Just keep trying by clicking 'Check for POI updates'.

When the app starts, it thinks I'm somewhere off the coast of west Africa.

This is actually Latitude 0, Longitude 0. You can tap the "locate me" button and the next time you run the app, it should remember where you are.

Could you add ....... feature? This would be a fantastic app with that!

Possibly, but let`s get this much working first

I went back to the old Android app and now the POIs don`t work
    The old POI file was overwritten with the new, more compact POI set.

Tap "W" then "Check for POI updates" and answer "Yes" to download the POIs again.

I think I found a bug!

It happens If something isn't working right, please let me know.
    You can either leave a message here or drop me a private message if you want to talk more technical.

Please read through this thread and make sure it hasn't already been discussed though.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MikeH; 24-07-2015 at 12:50.
    Likes MarMac liked this post
    Thanks Wiggy221, MarMac thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mazda Bongo

Spinning sceen

Hi could you help me as to stop spinning sceen.i have a galaxy tab 4 . Thanks cliff latham

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffi View Post
    Hi could you help me as to stop spinning sceen.i have a galaxy tab 4 . Thanks cliff latham
    Hello

Please have a look at this thread: Screen orientation - Android device.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T6 LWB Conversion

Constantly having to log in

I have the app installed on my iPhone which works good. But, whenever I click on the ? For more info it takes me to website but ask to log in. I log in and it just directs me to the home page. I have problem of having to constantly log in even after I've ticked remember me for the Wildcamp website. Any tips please?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajay View Post
    I have the app installed on my iPhone which works good. But, whenever I click on the ? For more info it takes me to website but ask to log in. I log in and it just directs me to the home page. I have problem of having to constantly log in even after I've ticked remember me for the Wildcamp website. Any tips please?
    We recently upgraded the backend of the site and you need to clear your cookies. One the device, login then log back out again using the logout button.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    delica

Maximum users

My app keeps saying the maximum amount of devices are being used, but I've only used it on an old phone

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B598
    Quote Originally Posted by Gini Hay View Post
    My app keeps saying the maximum amount of devices are being used, but I've only used it on an old phone
    You currently have two Android devices and two Apple devices registered. You can manage your devices from the POI downloads page: https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POI-DOWNLOAD.php
    Likes Audrey liked this post

Trish1997 Guest
    I've downloaded and followed the above steps and can see a few WC icons but only 2 in the south, surely there are more than these WC spots there?
    What else do I have to do to make make more appear?

Trish1997 Guest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information