Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No longer welcome at Portishead

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vw Danbury

No longer welcome at Portishead

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi all,

While out walking the dog noticed the dreaded ‘no overnight parking’ signs at Portishead lake grounds.

The signs are smaller than square number plates and few and far between, if arriving after dusk you’d probably miss them.

1 is halfway along the front near the disabled parking bays, 1 on the beach safety sign (probably ankle height) and the other I saw was near the open air pool on the opposite side to the parking.
    20181011_140617.jpg
    Likes POI Admin liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Thanks for the information.

These signs are not enforceable not being in compliance with the
    requirement to specify any Traffic Regulation Order in effect.

They are therefore advisory in the same way that the infamous yellow and
    black signs erected by the Highland Council were found wanting and to some
    extent removed.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk
    Likes st3v3, campervanannie liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW transporter
    Is it possible that such a sign could be enforced by one of those Public Protection orders (can't remember the correct name but the one whereby you can get an instant fine)?
    If so, having small signs could be deliberate in order to rake in the cash!

Nabsim is online now Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    If an area is council property and not a layby, say a council carpark am I right in thinking it doesn't need to state any TRO Chris?
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome

portishead parking

Quote Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
    Hi all,

While out walking the dog noticed the dreaded ‘no overnight parking’ signs at Portishead lake grounds.

The signs are smaller than square number plates and few and far between, if arriving after dusk you’d probably miss them.

1 is halfway along the front near the disabled parking bays, 1 on the beach safety sign (probably ankle height) and the other I saw was near the open air pool on the opposite side to the parking.
    20181011_140617.jpg
    Is it a legal restriction and is it just along the front or the road at the side of the lake too?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Debroos View Post
    Is it possible that such a sign could be enforced by one of those Public Protection orders (can't remember the correct name but the one whereby you can get an instant fine)?
    If so, having small signs could be deliberate in order to rake in the cash!
    I too wonder whether it's a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) as these now seem an alternative for councils and don't require the same rigorous process as TROs. Checking guidance given to local authorities, doesn't reveal whether the PSPO itself must be referenced (just that, "Practical issues, such as effective enforcement and erecting signs in (or near) an area subject to an Order – as required by the legislation – should also be borne in mind when determining how large an area the Order proposals might cover." -- does anyone know what these signs must include?).

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    I have stayed here.

It is roadside parking on the public highway.

I have seen a number of signs for various PSPO restrictions and they all reference the relevant order number, the nature of the restrictions and the potential amount you can be fined.

I'm confident that these signs have no authority. I will leave this in the POIs so individuals can make up their own mind ...
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk
    Likes alcam, peter palance liked this post
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    5 vehicles in four countries. Hobby in Germany, Airstream Cutter in USA, MCI MH & OKA 4WD in Oz,
    It is good that some members here are so confident that they are offering to indemnify the rest of us if advice given turns out to be wrong.
    Tony
    International Grey Nomad - currently in Oz. Next Texas to Alaska and return

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Vw Danbury
    Quote Originally Posted by Dads Train View Post
    Is it a legal restriction and is it just along the front or the road at the side of the lake too?
    Had a quick look again this morning. Signs are only along the front facing Wales.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 530L
    Quote Originally Posted by POI Admin View Post
    Thanks for the information.

These signs are not enforceable not being in compliance with the
    requirement to specify any Traffic Regulation Order in effect.

They are therefore advisory in the same way that the infamous yellow and
    black signs erected by the Highland Council were found wanting and to some
    extent removed.
    I agree. These signs are vcry probably unenforceable and I could give one or two reasons why I think that.

I think I should cast some doubt on the widely-held belief that the council must specify ifs authority to display the signs. One council, at least one, has stated that it need not specify the name of the issuing authority - when rejecting an appeal - and I think it would say the same about the particular traffic order.

A lot of this was discussed when we were helping with an appeal - which I think was eventually successful - but not on the grounds of the lack of an issuing authority being displayed.

Llandullas Fine's Issued

I'm not sure where the belief came from but, in my experience, almost always for off-street parking the authority is quoted. But not for on-street. We can only find out if this reason is used in an appeal and is upheld because of it.
    Likes maingate liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information