Thread: Where in france

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I can honestly say that at least 90% of all the aires that we use in France are free but we are happy to pay when needed

Our next trip abroad in a month or so we will definitely be having 1 night on the aire at the Château de Chambord 11 euros for 24 hours.

The beauty of that is when we are finished looking around the Chateau and gardens we will probably be knackered and will only have to make our way back to our motorhome on the aire in the grounds of the Chateau before we collapse

All being well a good nights sleep then off to the next stop wherever that may be ( we`ll know when we get there ) on the way to the Pyrenees
    Trust No One
    Likes Herbenny, carol liked this post
    Thanks Silver sprinter, Herbenny thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dont ask !!!
    I think I have well and truly had misconceptions about aires after spending most of the night watching youtube videos of people heading to France. What a pretty place France is and never realised just quite how big it is

I have made a list of a few places I want to go to as I don't want to drive around wasting a week, I think as its only a week it will be best to plan. If all goes well then I think we may try and go back October time.

The places I have chosen in Lannion and Hornfleur and then maybe squeeze in another place if we can.

We are going on the euro tunnel Folkestone is only an hour and half away and made more sense to save on time but do people have a preference on how they get over to France ? Can you get good deals on the eurotunnell if you book say a few days before ?
    Rise free from care before the dawn
    and seek new adventures.....
    Likes mark61 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbenny View Post
    I think I have well and truly had misconceptions about aires after spending most of the night watching youtube videos of people heading to France. What a pretty place France is and never realised just quite how big it is

I have made a list of a few places I want to go to as I don't want to drive around wasting a week, I think as its only a week it will be best to plan. If all goes well then I think we may try and go back October time.

The places I have chosen in Lannion and Hornfleur and then maybe squeeze in another place if we can.

We are going on the euro tunnel Folkestone is only an hour and half away and made more sense to save on time but do people have a preference on how they get over to France ? Can you get good deals on the eurotunnell if you book say a few days before ?
    If that is Lannion in western Brittany then are you going to return via Roscoff? Lots of places between there and Honfleur. Spoilt for choice but its a long drag if your going to go all the way back to Calais.

The only thing I would suggest on that route is you use the tolls down to Honfleur at least for the last bit turning towards Le Harve before you get to Rouen (a29 I think) and over the bridge to Honfleur. It will knock off a lot of time and hassle. Good thing about Brittany is there are good roads and motorways along the south and the north going east to west that are also toll free so its fairly easy to get a wiggle on. Its bigger than you think though.
    Last edited by barryd; 11-04-2019 at 10:04.

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    For the life of me i cannot get a good deal on Euro Tunnel apart from booking at least 2 weeks prior to traveling and using Tesco club card vouchers.

We never book that far ahead and it`s very often only a day or two before we travel that i book once the weather forecast is looking good.

Cheap and sometimes cheerful P&O Dover to Calais for us and it`s only 90 minutes onboard so we`ll put up with the ne`er do wells / great unwashed if necessary.

I can get approx £60 each way for a 7.5 motorhome, 2 adults, 0 kids, 0 pets crossing at sensible o`clock, none of this 1, 2 or even 3am malarky for us.

I only book one way then will book the return using the laptop from France when we are ready to come back.

We drive down from Preston the day before and spend the night at Canterbury ( New Dover Road ) P&R then it`s an easy 25-30 drive down to the port.

Recheck the weather forecast on the ferry whilst going across then it`s either left, right or straight on when we come out of Calais depending on the forecast.
    Trust No One
    Likes Herbenny, shortcircuit, britcoms liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    It's very nice around Lannion, especially the coast to the North.
    Great spot for walks and overnight stop, no idea how busy it gets in good weather. Every time I've been there the weather was crap so it's been empty.

Google Maps

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    If you break your journey on the return and want to be nearish to Calais then Le touquet Plage is worth a visit,

Channa
    Likes mark61, Herbenny liked this post

Member Number

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Don't forget we have a large selection of spots in France in the POIs
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk
    Likes mark61, carol liked this post
    Thanks Herbenny thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Converted Citroen relay mwb
    We always take the tunnel. Usually use clubcard points. Is often dearer than the ferry, but as I vomit it's more fun not to go by sea! Also much more flexible, you can arrive two hours either side of booking and board at no extra cost if space ( so not at busy times!) Takes no time to board, we have arrived 15 mins prior to time and gone straight on. And no time to disembark either so we feel we get on our way faster. Important if you are only having a week, you can waste half a day getting on and off the ferry. Remember you lose an hour on arrival in France. We pay about £90 each way, sometimes less....used to be about £50
    ​Ruth
    Likes Herbenny liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autocruise Starspirit
    if you're planning to visit Honfleur, then maybe look at the Portsmouth to le harve ferry and the newhaven to dieppe ferry, it'll cut off a few hours toll motorway driving
    Thanks Herbenny thanked for this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information