CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cornwall Wild Camping

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by witzend View Post
    Some time ago I emailed all Cornwall Councillors suggesting that motorhomes be allowed to stay overnight in it,s carparks for a reasonable fee to help keep parking fee down of the few who replyed 4 thought it reasoable the one from Looe area said definatly No as he had seen a toilet cassette being emptied into a road drain and his family runs a campsite. He never replied when I suggested he should declare a interest an not vote in any related voting.
    Unfortunately, with the fish and tin now pretty much gone, a very significant proportion of Cornwall's GDP (over £9 billion in 2012 according to one study) and over 25% of employment comes from tourism. With this in mind, I suspect that it would be hard to put together a council that had no vested interest in tourism and only slightly less difficult to put one together with no interest in the profitability of campsites. That said, in high season it's nigh on impossible to get a pitch unless you book well in advance IME, which is why we usually go for pub stops in our home county! Allowing self-sufficient units to park overnight for a fee should increase council revenue. However, that would not be by enough to put aside lobbying from the accommodation sector (worth about £1.6 billion in 2012), who couldn't care less about the additional revenue from shopping, visiting attractions, etc. that wild campers might bring.
    Likes peter palance, Fisherman, time4t liked this post
    Thanks Fisherman thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    fiat-ducato ci carioca 694

con-venent

Quote Originally Posted by witzend View Post
    The Cornwall Councillor for that area's family runs a campsite in Looe, Hence no wild spots around Looe
    how con ,no i want stop there, move on down the line, ok pj

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson 510 welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffL View Post
    Unfortunately, with the fish and tin now pretty much gone, a very significant proportion of Cornwall's GDP (over £9 billion in 2012 according to one study) and over 25% of employment comes from tourism. With this in mind, I suspect that it would be hard to put together a council that had no vested interest in tourism and only slightly less difficult to put one together with no interest in the profitability of campsites. That said, in high season it's nigh on impossible to get a pitch unless you book well in advance IME, which is why we usually go for pub stops in our home county! Allowing self-sufficient units to park overnight for a fee should increase council revenue. However, that would not be by enough to put aside lobbying from the accommodation sector (worth about £1.6 billion in 2012), who couldn't care less about the additional revenue from shopping, visiting attractions, etc. that wild campers might bring.
    This only highlights the need for a national policy forcing local authorities to make facilities available for free or for a small fee, and being financed nationally. Itís reckoned that we contribute in excess of £9billion pa to the national economy. Spending just 10% of that amount would soon lead to better facilities nationwide.
    If we all agreed there would be no discussion, and it would be a dull boring world.
    Likes Northumborman, time4t, GeoffL liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self build
    A question:-
    If a local councillor knocked on your door and told you they had X amount of money to spend and asked whether you would like it spent on improving health facilities or education facilities or making parking places for motorhomes, what do you think most people would say?
    Likes channa, Debroos liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson flash 510
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    What proof was there of this emptying of a cassette, and surely the solution to this problem (if it is a problem) is to provide facilities for the cassettes to be emptied. So we are taking the word of a man with conflicting interest, and even if his version of events is true, we are punishing decent Motorhome owners, who make up the vast majority.
    Strongly suspect none of us , including yourself , are taking his word .
    I do find it amazing that so many campsite owners appear to be councillors .
    Is it just a coincidence that so many of them have a massive desire to help the community ?
    Likes Fisherman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson 510 welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Edina View Post
    If a local councillor knocked on your door and told you they had X amount of money to spend and asked whether you would like it spent on improving health facilities or education facilities or making parking places for motorhomes, what do you think most people would say?
    That’s exactly my point, it would not be up to the local councillor. It would come from national government.
    Also if a charge was applied it could even be self financing. We are not talking about electric hookup, showers, etc. Just somewhere to park, preferably with chemical recycling. Obviously local councils have to embrace what their residents want, or they will lose control.

This sort of thing has been done in other areas, but it seems that self interest is paramount in looe, preventing such a provision.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 18-04-2019 at 10:44.
    If we all agreed there would be no discussion, and it would be a dull boring world.
    Likes time4t, Debroos liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI mizar
    Quote Originally Posted by Debroos View Post
    I'm a bit confused. My memory is that the large car park in Looe has always had year round charges and definitely had marked bays all over it.
    Or has age completely done my brain in!
    Certainly Cornwall Council is one of the worst for anti wildcamping sentiment.
    As said, too many councillors have vested interests. Such a shame...
    Age ain't got to you
    They are redoing the car park. Winter charges are just a little lower than the summer ones, instead of cheap. 70p for first hr then £2.30 for the next hr and so on.
    Some old signs are still there along with the new ones (they even got a rain proof cover over them)
    A lot of the bays have been dug up as the have been laying new electrics ,so no bay markings though the sign says vehicles must be parked in bays. I could not get my 7.5 mtr motor in any bay.
    Thanks Debroos thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by alcam View Post
    Is it just a coincidence that so many of them have a massive desire to help the community ?
    I expect the wages they get helps make them decide the days of them doing it because they want to help the community is long gone

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Edina View Post
    I totally agree with you, for a lot of councils in a lot of areas I suspect residents would prefer council run sites to be provided for the travelling community considering the mess they often leave behind.
    Lots of schools here are asking parents to provide books and pencils etc something when I was at school was pretty much taken for granted

Then there is the argument a space to empty black waste ,,,standard council answer that facility is provided by campsites in the main the aire typed of arrangement is a non starter And with the mentality of those in charge IF they provided an aire it would result in places lost through tros and PSPO s

We need to be careful what we wish for IMHO it could restrict more than liberated with the British mindset

Channa
    Likes Debroos liked this post

Member Number
    Of Course just across the channel copied from the web

We have been living in France for the last 7 years and have a motorhome over here. I just wanted to make you aware of some recent changes as regards camping-cars.

A few months ago the organisation who look after the interests of camping-caristes have taken several municipalities to court to challenge their usage of signs banning camping-cars from certain areas. They argued that the signs were not compliant with the law as they are not included in the Code de la Route which is the French Highway Code, and they are discriminatory against camping-car users as car and van drivers are not subject to the same restrictions.

In France the definition of camping in your motorhome is whether you simply park as you would a car or whether you extend your awning, place table and chairs outside or even leave your step extended. The latter examples are classed as camping.

The upshot of this is that the Magistrate's sided with the camping-car organisation and was pretty caustic towards some of the local Maires who had fought the action. They have been ordered to remove the signs and have to pay Ä2000 compensation to the camping-car organisation.

The wider implications are that some Aires where you have to pay for parking your motorhome and car drivers don't have to pay may also be subject of future court cases. We have just got back from the Correze and two locations there fell into this category; Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne and Collenges la Rouge. Both allow car drivers to park without charge yet camping-car drivers are charged per night. At Beaulieu users of the sports ground park next to camping-cars on the same chemin. At Collonges the camping-cars are charged Ä8,50 per night with no facilities yet the car park is free.
    Likes Fisherman, Debroos liked this post
    Thanks Fisherman, alcam thanked for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information