CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Canada 2018 !

Member Number:
    Maidenhead (summer) and Thailand (winter)

help Canada 2018 !

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    1 My thanks to Tony for his advice on LPG in Canada

2 We were thinking of sending our MH to Canada but
    A) Too expensive
    B) We would be without MH for up to 5 weeks so Other accmmodation needed
    THUS
    We will look to hire

Three options
    1A) Fly to Vancouver
    1B) Drive MH one way to say Edmonton
    1C) Fly back from Edmonton

2A) Fly to Vancouver
    2B) Drive to Halifax (NS)
    2C) Fly back

3A) Fly to Montreal
    3B) Drive one way to Halifax (NS)
    3C) Fly back

Considerations
    Option 1 would probably need 2 to 3 weeks
    Option 2 would need at least 6 weeks
    Option 3 Not really our favourite

Option 2 may require 8 weeks for comfort
    Please note this year we drove to Nordkapp from Calais and back via Finland and Sweden
    3.5 Months and 7000 miles

The only thing that puts me off option 2 is that I think the middle part may not be too interesting..but would be pleased to hear otherwise.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks Phil & Nida

Member Number:
    Hi, Phil
    We are going back to BC next summer. You could (we will be) spending at least 6 weeks just in BC, and the Alberta Rockies. We do not know a lot about central Canada, but the East coast is worth a visit. We haven't hired a van there, yet, but hope to do so sometime - Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island & Newfoundland. Have you thought of doing it in two stages and fly between West and East coasts?
    We had an amazing week in May last year - a weeks hire from Calgary. Went up to Jasper on the Icefields Parkway, and was just what was needed after sorting things out in Vancouver after Neil's accident. Do not miss that. The previous September we had driven across BC from Vancouver to the Rockies, and back, in 3 weeks, which was not nearly long enough, which is why we have planned another trip.
    Happy to answer any specific questions, if I can.
    All the best to you both, and safe travels
    Margaret
    Hope to see you at the Highland Minimeet in 2017, or anytime if you are passing!
    Likes - wildcampnewbie, Silver sprinter liked this post

Member Number:
    Not exactly on topic, but tried to follow your Scandinavia blog however it seemed to dry up mid trip. Did I miss something somewhere?

Member Number:

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by saxonborg View Post
    Not exactly on topic, but tried to follow your Scandinavia blog however it seemed to dry up mid trip. Did I miss something somewhere?
    I could not get a fast enough connection on a 3g link so I posted on Facebook.

WE will have proper in house wi-fi soon
    So I will post more info then ( 3 weeks)
    Thanks - saxonborg Thanked this person

Member Number:

Thumbs up Thanks Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by magbrin View Post
    Hi, Phil
    We are going back to BC next summer. You could (we will be) spending at least 6 weeks just in BC, and the Alberta Rockies. We do not know a lot about central Canada, but the East coast is worth a visit. We haven't hired a van there, yet, but hope to do so sometime - Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island & Newfoundland. Have you thought of doing it in two stages and fly between West and East coasts?
    We had an amazing week in May last year - a weeks hire from Calgary. Went up to Jasper on the Icefields Parkway, and was just what was needed after sorting things out in Vancouver after Neil's accident. Do not miss that. The previous September we had driven across BC from Vancouver to the Rockies, and back, in 3 weeks, which was not nearly long enough, which is why we have planned another trip.
    Happy to answer any specific questions, if I can.
    All the best to you both, and safe travels
    Margaret
    That is an excellent Idea !
    You also seem to get a better deal on mileage with shorter rentals.
    Also can return MH to the same location which is cheaper so 3 weeks on the west coast followed by maybe 2 weeks Nova Scotia etc may be the best plan.

2017 We plan All of Ireland (from Stranraer / Cairnryan) and Scotland again so I will look to visit Brin Herb again.

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmanx View Post

2017 We plan All of Ireland (from Stranraer / Cairnryan) and Scotland again so I will look to visit Brin Herb again.
    Again, off topic, but it looks as if the Highland Gathering will be the w/e of 17th/18th June next year, if you can make it. Otherwise, let us know if you are in the area, and you are welcome to camp here, anyway!
    Hope to see you at the Highland Minimeet in 2017, or anytime if you are passing!
    Thanks - jagmanx Thanked this person

Member Number:
    No idea of rental costs for Canada, but in California, a standard class c about 26' long costs about $1500 per week. Problem with the whole of north america is there is a fair lump of quite boring scenery in between the interesting western states and the east
    Tony
    International Grey Nomad - currently in Brazil, next Bolivia, Chile and Argentina

Member Number:

Thumbs up Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
    No idea of rental costs for Canada, but in California, a standard class c about 26' long costs about $1500 per week. Problem with the whole of north america is there is a fair lump of quite boring scenery in between the interesting western states and the east
    Following on from the idea of...
    1 Fly to West Coast
    2 One Rental there
    3 Fly to East Coast
    4 On Rental there
    5 Fly home
    So missing out the boring bits (better use of Time and KM/Miles) also not using out MH in UK

I am now of the opinion it may be better to do 2 visits such as
    Visit one 2018 a 3 week tour of West Coast only (return MH to pickup point) maybe 3 weeks
    Visit two 2020 a 2 or 3 week tour of East Coast (eg Nova Scotia)

Rental costs not too bad
    Flight Centre indicate maybe 3000 to 4000 including flights and MH rental..obviously fuel extra

Canada MH hire seems manageable you can get free km on some deals (eg up to 3 weeks)
    Will give Flight Centre visit one my new scheme next year and see what they come up with
    I have a good deal of experience at sourcing the various components directly/independently

Useful again from you ...Thanks Tony

Thread Information