Conti Camper tyres Blow out!

Conti are fine running older tyres, can’t remember their wording but you can check on their site, definitely 10 years then check for certain things I think it said. That doesn’t mean don’t check before then lol

i can’t find the emails on iPad or phone Yeo, probably on laptop which isn’t with me. I am fairly sure the initial contact was instigated from their web page here: https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/about-us/contact-us/contact-technical

i will be able to pop home on 25th if necessary as I am at the dentist that day but think you will get who you need from the link above.

when I had a blow out on the rear last year it was actually one of the newer tyres, either 2012 or 2016, two were dated 2007 and looked good still. It’s only because I wanted same tyres on all rims and I decided on Conti four seasons I took the others off. The tyre that blew had a slow puncture since I had the van and I had done at least 8k on it just keep topping it up. Over inflation is usual cause for blow outs I believe. Yours looks more like delamination though and they may want to investigate it. You never know you may get a new tyre :)

Should have added, I found SVTech extremely helpful when I was looking for tyres. Only Conti do a tyre that will take my leadings on a 15” rim and the rating is not where you would usually look on a tyre. They have the usual high/low stamp which isn’t enough but there is an additional stamping that shows it is. I didnt Believe they were suitable until the discussions with their tech support even though SVTech had said they were.

I reckon that 'blow outs' (whatever that means - let's say tyre failure) are more likely on a low pressure tyre as it overheats and destroys the carcass.

Conti replied to me today and attached this info sheet. 10 years is their tyre life recommendation.

Attachments

• Tyre Service Life (1).pdf
    64.2 KB · Views: 165
I reckon that 'blow outs' (whatever that means - let's say tyre failure) are more likely on a low pressure tyre as it overheats and destroys the carcass.
When that happens you usually get radial splits in the tyre wall.

You do need to read the tyrewall - max load is achieved at the max pressure.
If you have axle load near the maximum allowed then you will have to be near the max pressure.
Michelin consistently say that the pressure for rear tyres with their camping tyrtyres is 85-90 psi - apparently without regard to the actual weights.
I think this is because they assume you have tyres matched to the axle load and so will need getting on for maximum pressure.

There is some difference between their camping and standard van tyres.
When I bought bigger stronger tyres to match the 2.25T on my back axle I ended up with Michelin Agilis C type (118 load rate) rather than CP (because having ordered them online I hadn't spotted the difference before they were fitted. When I asked for them to be inflated to 90 psi specified by Michelin for camping tyres it was refused because 80 psi is max for standard van tyre.

The main difference is that Michelin CP are Mud and Snow tyres. The 'C' stands for Commercial and they are not Mud and Snow rated.

I have CP on the front axle and C on the back 2 axles. Commercial ones are fine because they are not drive axles and are only inflated to 50 psi.

That's correct, the top end tyre pressures are what the tyre manufacturer stipulates along with maxmum
load permitted. Lower pressures are optional for comfort, and handling considerations. So long as you
don't go below these optional lower recommended limits then fine, if you do, then the tyre walls are liable
to excess flexing and you get overheating tyres. A lot of those so called 'exploded' or 'blow outs' tyres
haven't exploded, rather they have delaminated tyre walls due to excess flexing, due to underinflation.
Which lets face it is much more likely to occur with most people, rather than overinflation.
Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

That's correct, the top end tyre pressures are what the tyre manufacturer stipulates along with maxmum
load permitted. Lower pressures are optional for comfort, and handling considerations. So long as you
don't go below these optional lower recommended limits then fine, if you do, then the tyre walls are liable
to excess flexing and you get overheating tyres. A lot of those so called 'exploded' or 'blow outs' tyres
haven't exploded, rather they have delaminated tyre walls due to excess flexing, due to underinflation.
Which lets face it is much more likely to occur with most people, rather than overinflation.
Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking with it!
Except in the Middle East and Africa where they over inflate and massively overload till the tyres still look like there under-inflated.

I know what I mean by blowout, a big bang and a big chunk of tyre gone completely, NOT delamination.

A few folks at Henley last year saw the tyre

Met a very nice couple a few weeks back. They have a Swift MH. We received an email from them yesterday saying that they had had an accident on the AP7 towards the French Border. They think the tire blew out and they narrowly missed a lorry. Hit the concrete barrier and crossed over the three lanes on the other side. Luckily after treatment in hospital they have managed to get home to Manchester minus all their clothes etc which are still in the MH. The MH by all accounts is a right off as it has a lot of damage.

Except in the Middle East and Africa where they over inflate and massively overload till the tyres still look like there under-inflated.

Something like this,
not what Michelin recommends lol.

Allover Overhang.jpg

I know what I mean by blowout, a big bang and a big chunk of tyre gone completely, NOT delamination.

A few folks at Henley last year saw the tyre

You say that this tyre had a slow puncture? Do think that the puncture could have rapidly got worse,
then as the tyre deflated built up heat & weakened then went on to the rim itself, which is what took out the
tyre wall chunk.
Certainly for a section of tyre carcase to completely detach is a bit freaky in my experience. Some kind
of split radially or axially, not so unusual.

The OPs tyre just peeled away, the carcase still looks relatively OK.

The reply from Conti tyres:

'Based on your tyre size and axle weights I can confirm the following.

Front Axle - 1390kg - 3.0bar(43.5psi)

Rear Axle - 2370kg - 5.25bar(76.1psi)

Having consulted my colleagues regarding your tyre split, this could have occurred due to being driven in a underinflated state over a period of time.

If you need any more information then please get back in contact.'

It wasn't underinflated at all as far as I am aware, but I don't have TPMS fitted so it could have got a puncture a few miles back that day causing the damage to occur. Dog wasn't happy when it went 'bang' :) :giggle:

Personally I'd only inflate a tyre to what is
stated on the tyre wall, or ideally the pressure shown in the handbook.
I don't understand why some people take notice of what a M/home dealer
or even the sometimes cottage industry M/home body builder tells them.
If someone suspects the van rides a bit harsh because it's a van, then personally
I would only take note of what the Tyre Manufacturer recommends before
knocking 25psi or so off for a softer ride. The manufacturer has made the allowances
for temp. increases, gauge inaccuracies and a factor of safety for manufacturing
inconsistencies.
Had a hire car once, steered a bit vaguely put it down to being a Datsun (yes long
time ago!) decided to buy a tyre gauge. All tyres were well over 200lbs psi should have
been 30lbs. I had already driven hundreds of miles through Death Valley, Hoover Dam,
Las Vegas, etc. on hot black top, they certainly didn't explode. Must have been close
I fancy.

Similar but with a few 40ft i beam girders thrown in for good measure.

I'd rather be on the back of that truck than strap hanging in a crowded London
tube train on a hot day, stuck between stations above ground. Those people
on that truck are probably looking at their iphones and laughing at pics
of London commuters like me, well as was, in my case thankfully!

No problem with that forget having a spare and just get the GLOOP and the pump out and fix it ,in themiddle of nowhere 😁

Why the comment about Nationwide breakdown? I have that but thankfully I’m also with ADAC.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back