Garmin Nuvi 58LMT – will not update maps with Express as not compatible with Win XP

Dowel

As the heading, I need to update maps soon to keep the free offer going but I have broken my Win 7 laptop that I used to update with.
I hoped it would work with Win XP on my trusty old desk top but Garmin Express says not compatible with my OS.

I see that there is another piece of software called Garmin Map Updater available which I have downloaded but I cannot find any instructions. I am wary about using this in case it is not intended for use with LMT updates or any other part of the Garmin “system”.

Anyone else worked through or solved this problem?

Hello and thanks both.
Have not tried that support number but will now.
I will let you know when I get a moment :)

Have phoned Garmin UK support, went well, in parts, did not have to hang on ages for a reply and helpful man knew the answers but not what I wanted to hear.
Garmin Map Updater not OK.
Garmin Express the only way to update, advised to update to the latest version of Express.
OS must be Win7 SP1 or newer.

I never did find time to repair my Sony Vaio laptop (running Win7). I did manage to remove (drilled out) the Loctite bound screw. Have not bought a new keyboard, initially not available but became lazy about checking with supplier so delay is my own fault.

Been getting by with the WinXP desktop and the Samsung Android tablet. However, just done a new web search and found still no keyboards for my model Vaio.

Maybe I should try washing the keyboard :rolleyes:

Firstly, thank you for coming back and updating your post.

Sorry they couldn`t help you more :(

I must admit that Garmin UK support is one of the best customer services i`ve ever dealt with, quick to answer, polite and very helpful.

Is there anyway you can use a family / friends computer to get Garmin Express to update your sat nav ?

Xp is dead a long time back and no one should be running it now as no security updates,ok of line but never connect this to the net as you could and will be targeted as a host for viruses.

Have phoned Garmin UK support, went well, in parts, did not have to hang on ages for a reply and helpful man knew the answers but not what I wanted to hear.
Garmin Map Updater not OK.
Garmin Express the only way to update, advised to update to the latest version of Express.
OS must be Win7 SP1 or newer.

I never did find time to repair my Sony Vaio laptop (running Win7). I did manage to remove (drilled out) the Loctite bound screw. Have not bought a new keyboard, initially not available but became lazy about checking with supplier so delay is my own fault.

Been getting by with the WinXP desktop and the Samsung Android tablet. However, just done a new web search and found still no keyboards for my model Vaio.

Maybe I should try washing the keyboard :rolleyes:
Why don't you just buy a usb keyboard?, if it is only the keyboard that is the problem it will work ok with a usb one

A good question and I hope a useful answer too.
Why not? Because it didn't occur to me.
I had no idea that a USB keyboard plugged into my laptop would simply overide the existing keyboard ...........
I suspect that I have one or more keys stuck down in the laptop keyboard, so would I have to do more to make it work?

No, just plug it in and it will install the driver needed, then use it as normal instead of the laptop keyboard
Thanks for the pm, 😉

No, just plug it in and it will install the driver needed, then use it as normal instead of the laptop keyboard
Thanks for the pm, 😉
Thanks for the reassurance. I have had a search around as I thought we might have a USB keyboard here somewhere but no luck. There is a computer store in Coventry where I can get one. I will check what they have in stock tomorrow.(y)

Take your laptop with you and try the keyboard at the store. Make sure the keyboard is plugged in before booting the laptop.

If any of the existing keys are stuck down, I presume something was spilt on the keyboard, it may be advisable to gently pry off the keycaps and see if you can lift the switch behind with tweezers or thin nose pliers so that it remains in the raised position.

If any of the keys are in permanent contact it may well be that the laptop won't boot.

Hello POI Admin, thanks for your post, I think that was an informed presume. Absolutely correct, tea with sugar and milk – sticky and corrosive.

When this happened I immediately shut down and turned the laptop 90 degrees hoping that the tea would drain out which it did but of course there was bound to be tea retained between the fine gaps between the keyboard parts. After about 15 minutes I turned it upright and started it successfully then I shut it down again. I should have found time to open it up and try to rinse clean the keyboard then but I left it. Some hours later I tried starting it again but it won’t boot. It tried but stalls and beeps at me. I now know (been told) I should have counted the beeps as they might have helped me identify the problem. I didn’t attend to it immediately as I thought I would be able to buy a replacement keyboard but so far that has not been possible. Well I might be able to source one from USA at $90 plus possibly import duty subject to confirmation that it is the right part. My Vaio might be an unpopular model it has a widescreen 17” display and was quite expensive.

When I did try to open it one very small screw thwarted me, so I would not have got it open in time. I eventually drilled it out.

As to where I am now and assuming no other damage:
  • I believe that if I locate and disconnect the cable from motherboard to laptop keyboard it should work with a USB keyboard?
  • I know that the Vaio HDD works as I have removed it and connected it to my desktop PC. It works and everything seems to be there so I reckon better than 50/50 chance of it working again in the Vaio?
I think that makes it worth investing in a cheap keyboard even if it just allows me to update my Garmin. And if it works I can use it even though it is not “portable” until I sort out a better alternative. Am I wasting my time?

It was never of any use in the van, no GPS and far too big for map reading! Good for watching films or catching up with iPlayer though.

If the tea has got into 'the works' I don't fancy the chances of the laptop working without professional intervention.

If you have a PC repair shop near you I suggest you take it there and seek advice.

It is possible that the beeps were caused by one or more of the keys being stuck down. I reiterate my comments above. Try lifting all the keys mechanically to ensure that none are in the closed contact position.

Try booting the laptop. If it beeps I think it will need stripping down and cleaning.

That said an USB keyboard connected before power up is still worth a try.

An update on my Vaio
I had completely forgotten that after the after the deluge when it was first restarted the machine offered a "Startup Repair", It said this may take a few minutes and the machine may restart more than once. I left it running for, in my mind, a long time but not I guess long enough. As it shows no actual indication of progress I turned off the Vaio. That was the wrong thing to do as reportedly it can run for hours in order to make a repair.

So today I put the back cover and HDD back in place and fired up the beast. It booted ok then offered the Startup Repair again which I allowed to start. I was more patient this time and after 25 minutes it had made a repair and moved on to the user "sign in" process.

I tried to enter my password using the laptop keyboard but it was showing too many characters. After a bit of tinkering and observation I found that 14 keys were defective all of them making a double strike. The rest were OK only inserting one character.

I had bought myself a USB keyboard which I then tried to use to enter my password but it was not recognised, not even the Caps, Number and Scroll lock key lights would turn on. Tried this on the Desktop Win XP machine and found that on Win XP at least a USB keyboard is not recognised until after the user has signed in. After sign in either or both keyboards can be used although I did not try pressing keys on both simultaneously as obviously that might be confusing. I guess it is the same with Win7.

Found a brief youtube video showing removal of the keyboard from a similar Sony Vaio. The keyboard just snaps into place, tiny plastic tabs with hooked ends on the underside. The video is a bit too quick and does not show exactly how many of these tabs have to be released. The motherboard covers part of the keyboard area. It looks like there are no tabs behind the motherboard as the MB was not disturbed in the video.

I think you have missed a key point that I made above.

The USB keyboard must be plugged in BEFORE you power up the laptop. The BIOS recognises its presence and disables the in-built keyboard.

You are right I did not plug the keyboard in before powering up. And you had told me twice!

So tried Vaio again with the USB keyboard plugged in before powering up/starting - NOT Recognised
Do not have a pointing device either, the small finger pad below the Vaio keyboard - NOT Responding. The cursor appears centred on my icon above the sign in box but it cannot be moved.
Also tried the Dell wired optical mouse, plugged into the Vaio USB before powering up, – NOT Recognised either.

Tried Desktop with the USB keyboard plugged in, before powering up/starting, BOTH USB and PS2 keyboards Recognised.
Signed in a few times using both keyboards individually and a mixture of both, all permutations worked OK. But see final para!
Dell mouse responds before signed in to desktop PC. To be clear mouse does not appear during boot process but appears/responds as soon as the signing in window appears. So to select either “safe mode” or “start windows normally” one has to use the keyboard arrows. I think that is normal but not seen those windows that often as had 6, going on 7, years of trouble free use from this laptop.

Having restarted my desk top the USB keyboard plugged in for testing purposes has now disabled the PS2 keyboard!

Regarding the Vaio it's possible that a change in the BIOS settings is necessary to allow an USB keyboard to function.

The gotcha is that you'll need a functioning inbuilt keyboard in order to access and change the BIOS settings. You may be lucky ...

There is probably a prompt on power up that tells you how to access the settings. A quick Google suggests it is the F2 key.

Started this post on Sunday but had to post today as Garmin Express consumed all my broadband overnight!

Better news today (Sunday evening). Restarted the Desktop box a couple of times with the USB keyboard removed and the original PS2 keyboard plugged in and it now recognises the PS2 keyboard again.

Managed to get the Vaio keyboard out and disconnected from the motherboard on Saturday. There are 7 plastic clips along the top edge of the keyboard so 3 are out of sight. Removed 4 screws marked with arrows from the motherboard plus 2 more near the edge of the m’board allowing a tiny bit of flex which let me see the 3 hidden clips. No header on the film ribbon cable just sticky tape over a little hinged strip into which it fits.
Washed the keyboard in warm water with 1 drop of washing up liquid. The bowl I found would only allow just over half of the keyboard length to be immersed..
Gentle blowing water away with an air line on low pressure followed by extensive drying in warm spots around the house.
Today I put the keyboard back into the plastic chassis and reconnected the ribbon cable carefully whilst hoping it would align correctly. Fitted the bottom of the lower half of the case below the hinge, the HDD and a few screws just enough to hold it all together whilst I see if it works. And it does!

The Vaio boots quickly and my password goes in OK to start windows.
The ALPS pointing device has stopped working but a wired USB optical mouse does work in lieu. At first no keyboard problems were seen but now it is inserting numbers between some letters, a new problem not seen before. Maybe it needs a bit more drying out or is the ribbon cable slightly misaligned? I will also try the USB keyboard again now that Vaio boots OK.

At 21:00 hours today (Sunday) I started trying to update my Garmin maps. It was going painfully slowly. Starts by saying less than 3 hours to update all of Western Europe which quickly rises to over 13 hours predicted. As this seems a lot longer than the 3-4 hours quoted in their literature I did stop and restart Express after about an hour. Just before midnight it was predicting just over 11 hours to complete. I left it running and today (Monday morning) found Express had finished updating maps at 05:20 so 7½ hrs or so to update.

I looked at the box my Garmin came in and see that I should have 46 European countries and maybe some New World countries too as part of LMT Travel Edition offer. I suspect I should have downloaded the latter when I bought it but can’t recall doing that and 46 in Europe is more than enough for me.

So some work still to do.
Will test whether Vaio can see and recognise the USB keyboard and if so I expect it to bypass Vaio keyboard errors.
Will continue drying process then check to see if that helps Vaio keyboard.
If not then take it all apart again just to get to keyboard connector. A proper plug and socket connection in a position accessible without removing the keyboard would be a great help.

Thanks to all for help and interest especially POI Admin for reminding me of things I used to be able to recall. I expect you are right about F2 taking me to setup as that and F12 for Boot Menu are the Dell keys.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back