New Vodafone unlimited Mifi data plans have roaming limits

Moped

Just checked these new plans out and disappointed that the T&Cs limit overseas roaming to 25GB monthly.

I may be right or wrong but my understanding was that the previous Vodafone 100GB plan allowed 100GB of monthly overseas roaming.

Just a warning to those who have a current Vodafone data plan used for overseas roaming and who may be thinking of switching to a new unlimited plan.

And their website also states that if they feel you are away more than home they will start charging, so no nipping back home to restart roaming. I had to really look through the web site to find this. Don’t know about in practice ... we were ok for 4.5 months this summer but contract only 20 gb.

Just checked these new plans out and disappointed that the T&Cs limit overseas roaming to 25GB monthly.

I may be right or wrong but my understanding was that the previous Vodafone 100GB plan allowed 100GB of monthly overseas roaming.

Just a warning to those who have a current Vodafone data plan used for overseas roaming and who may be thinking of switching to a new unlimited plan.
Wonder why this has changed ?
I know their competitors all stated data was limited but Vodafone didn't .

I was actually considering changing over from Three which i have an " AYCE " unlimited everything plan but they limit roaming to 19GB per month.

Definitely stay with them now especially since we had 4G every day for 5 weeks earlier this year now they`ve teamed up with SFR as well (y)

I didnt think Vodafone did an unlimited Data sim. I though their only unlimited plan was a phone plan. I stand to be corrected but I cannot find a data sim you would put in a router or mifi unit that is a data sim only an unlimited phone sim plan. I wish there was as its the only provider that works here and I could dump BT and my land line.

I didnt think Vodafone did an unlimited Data sim. I though their only unlimited plan was a phone plan. I stand to be corrected but I cannot find a data sim you would put in a router or mifi unit that is a data sim only an unlimited phone sim plan. I wish there was as its the only provider that works here and I could dump BT and my land line.
not unlimited but 50gb data sim £30pm rolling contract

I don’t get this data sim only thing
I have a 3 sim in my iPhone with unlimited data.
I can take it out of my phone put it into an adaptor and it works fine in my mifi.

Am I missing something here.

I can take it out of my phone put it into an adaptor and it works fine in my mifi.

Not sure but I thought you had to have a data only sim for a router or mifi as a phone sim would not work but clearly some do. I would be surprised if a vodafone unlimited phone sim would work in a router or mifi when their largest allowance for a data sim is 50gb. I suspect they known that people will hammer a data sim if it's unlimited and in a router at home and they would be right.

No. They work on Three. But you can't make phone calls through a MiFi.

Hence my boring posts about how there are ways to do it with a suitable router, and plug in a telephone to still have the voice calls.

Other networks are available, e.g GiffGaff PAYG. Currently the £20 goodybag includes 40 Gbyte data and unlimited everything else. I think their EU roaming cap is 20 Gbytes. Turn off the goodybag in months when not needed. No commitment, no contract, no credit check.

Top up every three months, minimum £5, and you get free GiffGaff to GiffGaff calls, that's what my partner and I do, use them like walky-talkies in rugged waterproof handsets from Aldi, £20 each. The smartphones live in the safe except when we are back at the van.

Their batteries last weeks, they boot up in seconds, have bluetooth, good FM radio, really sensitive, and I've even managed to configure them as 3g WiFi hotspots and for e-mail, but that is a techy thing to manage, manual configuration of APNs, email settings etc. No instructions, you have to work it out for yourself. Twin SIM too. Second SIM GSM only, as usual.

Smart phones are all very well, but "dumb" ones still have their uses. And the Aldi ruggeds really are rugged, survived drops, capsizes in our racing dinghies, foul weather, other abuse, they have buttons, not fragile glass touch screens. Not attractive to thieves either. They make and receive calls, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth, basic e-mail, text, very good FM radio, media player, SD slot, all the basics, nothing else.

Usually we put our Three unlimited ones in the primary 3g slot where they work, and the GiffGaff in the second 2g only.

TBH the delicate expensive smartphones mostly live in the safe, we do our stuff with tablets and laptops tethered to the cheap rugged phones, either over Three 3g which is good enough, or activate the goodybag, put the Three SIMs back in the smartphones, the GiffGaff into the 3g slot and run on GiffGaff. That way we could have a total of 49 Gbytes/month, roaming.

Sometimes even tether the smartphones to the Aldi ones

Network is O2 and frankly superior coverage to Three, particularly in remote places.

Not tried the GG SIM in a MiFi or other data device, but I expect it might work.

Last edited:
No. They work on Three. But you can't make phone calls through a MiFi.

Hence my boring posts about how there are ways to do it with a suitable router, and plug in a telephone to still have the voice calls.

I have just sent this post using my 3 phone card with adaptor in my mifi.
Yes I am aware that I can’t use the phone, I will use my wife’s when the card is use in the mifi. Thank you sharpie.

My mifi has 4 Ethernet sockets in the rear.
Could I plug a phone into one of them, and make and receive calls

My mifi has 4 Ethernet sockets in the rear.
Could I plug a phone into one of them, and make and receive calls

No. You can't use your call allowance in a MiFi, only a few routers can do this.

But you could get a VOIP Ethernet adapter with it's own power supply, handset, sign up for a VOIP service, pay them for the calls, configure the stuff, and maybe make it work.

But that's a very complicated and expensive thing to do.

If you have a mobile handset that supports WiFi calling (I have an old cast-off Iphone that does) just use that with e.g a Three 321 PAYG SIM. 3p/minute which is a bargain.

Or just use the mobile without linking it up to the MiFi if there is enough signal for it. You can often position MiFis and routers, even connect external antennas, to get a decent signal, where a mobile phone can't.

Last edited:
Just ordered a 3 payg sim thanks sharpie.
I will put that in my iPhone whilst the sim is in the mifi.

I have the Vodaphone 100gb data deal, with unlimited phone calls texts etc which I only use in my mifi. It is, or was unlimited in Europe and the cheapest way to get data at the time and works fine everywhere we have gone. We have separate 3 contracts for our phones.

I have the Vodaphone 100gb data deal, with unlimited phone calls texts etc which I only use in my mifi. It is, or was unlimited in Europe and the cheapest way to get data at the time and works fine everywhere we have gone. We have separate 3 contracts for our phones.
Apparently not now according to vodafone but if it worked before who knows ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back