Parliamentary Petition re Overnight Parking

Just signed it but I must say that, 10,000 signatures are required by 22nd Jan 2020 to even get a response and 100,000 to get considered for debate, and with only 614 at present it seems pretty unlikely to go anywhere.

Is there a difference between the official .gov.uk petitions and these .parliament ones? When you sign a .gov one you have to validate your contribution from a return email. I signed one of these .parliament ones a few weeks ago and there was no validation process which made me suspicious and I am now avoiding them. Surely the Government would not have two competing procedures and I thought all official contact was through the .gov portal. Perhaps I am just smelling a rat where there isn’t one but my fear is that this .parliament is not official and if not not rigorously monitored does anyone take any official notice of it.

Like Phil says, local authorities have jurisdiction over their highways and bye the ways, indeed, as someone else suggested, it could backfire.....imagine the current far right Home Secretary getting her teeth in to spoiling so much fun for so many people with one foul swoop of overnight legislation........look what happened to ancient squatter rights once overnight........many would agree with that piece of law but ask rough sleepers in doorways of empty properties their opinion
Off my horse box now and good luck with your pea tissue on...

Like Phil says, local authorities have jurisdiction over their highways and bye the ways, indeed, as someone else suggested, it could backfire.....imagine the current far right Home Secretary getting her teeth in to spoiling so much fun for so many people with one foul swoop of overnight legislation........look what happened to ancient squatter rights once overnight........many would agree with that piece of law but ask rough sleepers in doorways of empty properties their opinion
Off my horse box now and good luck with your pea tissue on...

You state that this is under local authority jurisdiction, then state that the Home Secretary could pass some law preventing us from wild camping.
If they stopped us from wild camping the exchequer would lose billions, thousands would lose their jobs, and tourism would take a hit.
People sleeping rough would have none of these effects.
Whats required is national government looking at this carefully, and some joined up thinking.
Taking into consideration the growth within this industry and the benefits it brings to the economy.
What we have now is no more than reaction by the misinformed leading to the closing down of parking spaces.
If things continue going the way they are, sales of vans will take a hit.
I hope common sense prevails, and the sooner the better.

You state that this is under local authority jurisdiction, then state that the Home Secretary could pass some law preventing us from wild camping.
If they stopped us from wild camping the exchequer would lose billions, thousands would lose their jobs, and tourism would take a hit.
People sleeping rough would have none of these effects.
Whats required is national government looking at this carefully, and some joined up thinking.
Taking into consideration the growth within this industry and the benefits it brings to the economy.
What we have now is no more than reaction by the misinformed leading to the closing down of parking spaces.
If things continue going the way they are, sales of vans will take a hit.
I hope common sense prevails, and the sooner the better.

I do hope your not going to be holding your breath....

Common sense and government are NOT compatable....

THE ONLY way "we" would get ANY consideration is IF all of a sudden ALL politicians decided to take up wild camping as a hobby (personally I hope that NEVER happens.... I happen enough Bell ends on my travels as it is)

I do hope your not going to be holding your breath....

Common sense and government are NOT compatable....

THE ONLY way "we" would get ANY consideration is IF all of a sudden ALL politicians decided to take up wild camping as a hobby (personally I hope that NEVER happens.... I happen enough Bell ends on my travels as it is)

Money is their capital, and we contribute 9.3 billion a year, more than our net contribution to the EU.
My point was that on one hand you state correctly that parking is controlled by local authorities, then you state that the Home Secretary could ban us.

Money is their capital, and we contribute 9.3 billion a year, more than our net contribution to the EU.
My point was that on one hand you state correctly that parking is controlled by local authorities, then you state that the Home Secretary could ban us.

I didn't state anything regarding control or legislature....

Frankly I suspect your quoted figures aren't as correct as you perhaps think.... But hey ho.

My personal opinion is that only by folks proving that they can "behave themselves" and paying their way for stops will local authorities possibly slowly change their ways.

As far as authority are concerned there are lots of places provided for campervans, motorhomes, caravans, and tents and they’re called campsites. Bringing wildcamping into the spotlight isn’t a good idea iMO.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back