Traction Control

Wildchild88

I have a 2011 Autotrail Apache without traction control, has anybody had traction control retrofitted and if so by who. Thanking you in advance

Can’t understand why you would need traction control on your motorhome? Could you explain why?

All the traction control does is stop the wheel that is spinning by putting the brake on on that side and transferring drive to the other side. Hate to think which bit of the electronics looks after this. Got it on ours but never use it.

IIRC there are two versions of traction control fitted to Ducato's, I think the base version is fitted to all vans and seems to be pretty much useless, no idea if the 'better' version is actually any better.
As above the basis of it is to braking the spinning wheel also it reduces the power. Quite by accident I found a way to produce a similar effect, gently apply brakes, this activates the ABS and only the spinning wheel is braked, got me moving twice, but if both wheels are bogged down it won't make any differance.

Basic system worse than useless. Front wheel drive vans will scrabble their wheels on a tricky hill start, the last thing you need is one, sometimes both, front brakes applied to stop this. Sometimes you have to be brutal in these circumstances to get going. The TCS just gets in the way.

It's not as if our vans have massive power needing restraining, unlike many cars. Sensitive throttle control in tricky circumstances is all that I need, not some primitive electronic intervention that just makes things worse when it's most needed.

As for on snow or ice, it's just a liability.

As on wet grass, mud, slippery wet roads, you name it.

You can't even get going from a standstill on snow, ice or other slippery surfaces, as soon as it detects that the front wheels are turning significantly faster than the rears it backs off the power, not by applying the brakes but by intervening with the fly-by-wire throttle.

My car (and motorbike) have a button to turn off all the TCS and ABS (also the ESP and DSR on the car) and let you drive without this, old school. Try braking on snowy, or loose surfaces with ABS active, you just wont stop. Whereas with it turned off you can cadence brake or lock the wheels and let the snow pile up in front of them.

Unfortunately my Ducato does not, no way of turning TCS or ABS off.

That said, ABS is a great feature on tarmac, as long as you mash the pedal and keep it hard down despite the juddering. Too many don't, or back off when it kicks in.

It would be good if the OP would come back and explain when they want to retro fit traction control?🤷‍♂️

Basic system worse than useless. Front wheel drive vans will scrabble their wheels on a tricky hill start, the last thing you need is one, sometimes both, front brakes applied to stop this. Sometimes you have to be brutal in these circumstances to get going. The TCS just gets in the way.

It's not as if our vans have massive power needing restraining, unlike many cars. Sensitive throttle control in tricky circumstances is all that I need, not some primitive electronic intervention that just makes things worse when it's most needed.

You can't even get going from a standstill on snow, ice or other slippery surfaces, as soon as it detects that the front wheels are turning significantly faster than the rears it backs off the power, not by applying the brakes but by intervening with the fly-by-wire throttle.

My car (and motorbike) have a button to turn off all the TCS and ABS (also the ESP and DSR on the car) and let you drive without this, old school. Try braking on snowy, or loose surfaces with ABS active, you just wont stop. Whereas with it turned off you can cadence brake or lock the wheels and let the snow pile up in front of them.

That said, ABS is a great feature on tarmac, as long as you mash the pedal and keep it hard down despite the juddering. Too many don't, or back off when it kicks in.
For the basic system (can't recall what it's called), if it starts to active the button on centre console lights up, press the button and it temporally turns it off.

For the basic system (can't recall what it's called), if it starts to active the button on centre console lights up, press the button and it temporally turns it off.
Thanks. I've totally missed that. I do indeed have a button marked ASR, but AFAIK it only disables the TCS, not the ABS (which is equally important to me). But I could be wrong. Will study the manual, research and experiment. If it switches off everything I'll be happy.

Anyway the fact that it is there suggests that it is recognised that TCS/ASR is not ideal in all circumstances, there are some where doing without is better.

Thanks. I've totally missed that. I do indeed have a button marked ASR, but AFAIK it only disables the TCS, not the ABS (which is equally important to me). But I could be wrong. Will study the manual, research and experiment. If it switches off everything I'll be happy.

Anyway the fact that it is there suggests that it is recognised that TCS/ASR is not ideal in all circumstances, there are some where doing without is better.

I believe it only switches off the ASR, not the ABS.

Can’t understand why you would need traction control on your motorhome? Could you explain why?
During our adventures I've encountered switch back bends with very poor surfaces and the van has struggled. My previous van a Mercedes took such encounters in it's stride.

All the traction control does is stop the wheel that is spinning by putting the brake on on that side and transferring drive to the other side. Hate to think which bit of the electronics looks after this. Got it on ours but never use it.
I've found it very useful in the past. However each to their own.

I should add to my posts that whilst I've found the basic traction control to be not much use in a field, it does work to an extent on tarmac if you are pulling away from the roadside and one wheel is on loose gravel (or such like).

IIRC there are two versions of traction control fitted to Ducato's, I think the base version is fitted to all vans and seems to be pretty much useless, no idea if the 'better' version is actually any better.
As above the basis of it is to braking the spinning wheel also it reduces the power. Quite by accident I found a way to produce a similar effect, gently apply brakes, this activates the ABS and only the spinning wheel is braked, got me moving twice, but if both wheels are bogged down it won't make any differance.
On a steep incline single track road approaching almost 90 degree with very poor surface and getting steeper. because of the narrow road committed to the challenge. Van struggling, had to stop and try again. I know from experience with my previous Mercedes Van, it would just take it in its stride. Now I know the Mercedes was rear wheel drive, street ahead of front wheel drive and yes it's my fault for not checking if the Fiat had traction control I must admit I just assumed they all had it. Otherwise I prefer the drive of the Fiat and it has a lovely smooth gearbox.

I do remember reading of VW Transporters being retro fitted with traction control. Must have been on a forum somewhere.
Not much help really.

Biggest problem with front wheel drive. If you have a long overhang at the back with bikes etc then the front gets very light especially on steep hills. Met a guy the other day with a Bolero with a scooter on the back. He had similar problems on a hairpin bend up in the mountains and had to take the scooter off the back and some locals came out to give him a push.

I accept your comments without question having been a truck driver for many years. My last motorhome a Mercedes had many of these features but they could all be switched off when required. Strange that there's not an off option for the fiat.

Biggest problem with front wheel drive. If you have a long overhang at the back with bikes etc then the front gets very light especially on steep hills. Met a guy the other day with a Bolero with a scooter on the back. He had similar problems on a hairpin bend up in the mountains and had to take the scooter off the back and some locals came out to give him a push.
Yes you've pin pointed the exact problem I had but with no bikes on the back.

I should add to my posts that whilst I've found the basic traction control to be not much use in a field, it does work to an extent on tarmac if you are pulling away from the roadside and one wheel is on loose gravel (or such like).
Yes I agree I found this with my last MH which is why I was looking for a retro fit. Thank you

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back