Norfolk

Lizzo

Pootling around north coast of Norfolk for a week or so. Just me and the dog this time. Any tips for places to visit and good places to overnight?

Love to hear from anyone else about In the area..

Liz

If you are in the National Trust there are a few nice places. Brancaster beach is great but it's £10 a day now unless you have a blue badge not NT. Blackney is nice but if you are not in NT it's £20 to park. You can park on the cliff at Hunstanton. Walk up the hill to the Cafe. Down onto the beach. Back under the cliffs and climb back up the steps. It's a really nice round trip. Make sure the tide is going out. If it's right out take a bag and pick up some mussels. If you go to Cromer we have seen MHs parked overnight by the Cricket Club.

That’s great info, thank you.. planning to try both those beaches - hope dogs allowed - and good tip about Cromer .. seems pretty busy this week …

Burnham Overy Staithe has a lovely hard parking area BUT it sometimes floods at high tide. There is a possibility to park on the side of the road further round the one way system past the harbour master's building: only room for about 10 vehicles. That gives you much better views out over the marshes.

There is a NT parking area in Stifkey (pronounced Stoo-key) just west of the Red Lion: it's a bumpy and pot-holed road past Highsand Creek Campsite.

IF you prefer inland activities, the Rural Life Museum in my village of Gressenhall has good parking, an excellent set of displays and a heritage farm with horse-drawn (sometimes tractor drawn) carriage rides. An Norfolk annual pass works out cheaper if there is a likelihood of visiting other Norfolk CC Museums, such as Cromer, Gt Yarmouth, King's Lynn.

Gordon

We stayed at High Sands Creek the last 2 nights, we love it at Stiffkey. The Red Lion at Stiffkey does great food (if a little expensive) and lovely beer.

We were at Brancaster beach this morning, we go there quite regularly and yes dogs are allowed.

For Fish and Chips French's at Wells is very good, but we prefer No 1 at Cromer. I usually park up in the garage across the road and use their shop whilst Julie picks up the fish and chips - lovely!

Opposite RAF Coningsby if you like warplanes very busy in daylight, and there is the battle of Britain memorial flight on the same road, good parking in the carpark.

If you're venturing inland towards Norwich there's a cracking pub called The ferry house.
Beautiful location and decent food, free overnight (at least it was 3years ago when we went last) and you can get your chair out and relax by the water with a G+T.

Oh I do like the look of that one!

Oh I do like the look of that one!
We were there during the eat out to help out period, free camping, cracking location and 1/2 price grub! What's not to like!
There are also a lot of EHU points for the boat moorings very close at hand but you'd know better than me about 'acquiring' their use Rob?

Thank you so much everyone for ideas and helpful tips. Have had to cut the trip short unfortunately as the dog - elderly, bit like me - got heat stroke while we were visiting Oxburgh. Shall be back up again the spring as great place, lots to do, and such welcoming people!

Pootling around north coast of Norfolk for a week or so. Just me and the dog this time. Any tips for places to visit and good places to overnight?

Love to hear from anyone else about In the area..

Liz
Some lovely places to be found on WEBSITE BLOCKED BY ADMIN. We had a month free of campsites this spring.

If you're venturing inland towards Norwich there's a cracking pub called The ferry house.
Beautiful location and decent food, free overnight (at least it was 3years ago when we went last) and you can get your chair out and relax by the water with a G+T.
It was £10 to stay overnight here last year regardless if you ate there or not

If you are in the National Trust there are a few nice places. Brancaster beach is great but it's £10 a day now unless you have a blue badge not NT. Blackney is nice but if you are not in NT it's £20 to park. You can park on the cliff at Hunstanton. Walk up the hill to the Cafe. Down onto the beach. Back under the cliffs and climb back up the steps. It's a really nice round trip. Make sure the tide is going out. If it's right out take a bag and pick up some mussels. If you go to Cromer we have seen MHs parked overnight by the Cricket Club.
If you can find a place you can park overnight at cromer on the Prom (coast) road overlooking the pier. There s no parking charge (I think the locals rebelled) and I used to stay there occasionally but more recently it s been hard to find a place.

The Coast Road is always full and it's also on a hill. Find the Cricket club on the opposite side of town. If you have a dog you can walk from there downto the beach and the beach at the end of the concrete where the fishing boats are is dog friendly all year round. There is also a very nice cafe opposite the old Lifeboat Station fo a cuppa on the way back.

I've just looked at the Cricket Club on Google Street View: impressive!
Do they allow overnight parking in their little patch of land or are you suggesting just parking up there? Or on the access road?

Gordon
PS You can walk to the beach even if you don't have a dog ;).

The Coast Road is always full and it's also on a hill. Find the Cricket club on the opposite side of town. If you have a dog you can walk from there downto the beach and the beach at the end of the concrete where the fishing boats are is dog friendly all year round. There is also a very nice cafe opposite the old Lifeboat Station fo a cuppa on the way back

The Coast Road is always full and it's also on a hill. Find the Cricket club on the opposite side of town. If you have a dog you can walk from there downto the beach and the beach at the end of the concrete where the fishing boats are is dog friendly all year round. There is also a very nice cafe opposite the old Lifeboat Station fo a cuppa on the way back.
We have seen MHs parked along the side on the main road and the road in front of the pitch is not private. We have parked there during the day. Not a good place to park if they are playing cricket.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back