How many batteries can I use ,serious question

guerdeval

I have ‘acquired’ 6 x new expedition plus 150 amp AGM batteries, I’m not that worried about the weight so how can I best utilise some or all of them?, I have a single 120 amp solar and cann’t add to it as my main unit thingy is a Sargent EC328 who say up to a 120 panel in their blurb so, do I replace the 2 existing 110amp batteries with 2 or 3 or all 6 of the new 150 ones, I was maybe thinking of a big inverter to take advantage and would all 6 batteries receive the same charge top up when I’m on hook up or does the last one in line get less juice?, I don’t plan to do this work myself as I’m an imbecile, all advice gratefully accepted. :giggle:

I have ‘acquired’ 6 x new expedition plus 150 amp AGM batteries, I’m not that worried about the weight so how can I best utilise some or all of them?,
You can fit as many batteries as you want and have room and payload for.
What people always need to think about is how they plan to recharge those batteries.
If you use all that power and have no way to get power back in to them, you are potentially just dragging around a lot of dead weight. If you tend to go somewhere for a while and then go back home, maybe recharging at home is fine; but if you are touring around, you need a way to recharge when away, be it when driving, from solar or from hookup

I have a single 120 amp solar and cann’t add to it as my main unit thingy is a Sargent EC328 who say up to a 120 panel in their blurb
To go bigger than a 120W panel (NOT 120A ;) ), you would need to bypass the EC328. No problem, you just connect the new solar controller to the batteries direct.
Note that Sargent also have a recommendation of no more than around 160Ah or so of Leisure Batteries, so you need to find an alternative way to both charge on the move AND charge via Hookup as well as a solar controller bypass. In effect, you need to bypass the EC328 Charging System in its entirety and use it as the AC and DC distribution only and not as a charging unit as well.
(FWIW, this is precisely what I have done with my Sargent EC325 unit and my 6 x 100Ah Leisure Batteries).
I would also probably want more than a 120W panel for recharging

so, do I replace the 2 existing 120amp batteries with 2 or 3 or all 6 of the new 150 ones,
If fitting multiple of the new 150Ah AGM batteries, I would not keep either of the two original batteries, but refresh the entire bank.

I was maybe thinking of a big inverter to take advantage
If you have AC devices you would like to use off-grid - maybe a Microwave, or Induction Hob say - to take advantage of a big bank, then an inverter can be an effective way to use this. Without an Inverter, you can still make use of a big battery bank but it is usually a way to extend off-grid camping time rather than a way to use high-power devices.
Given you would need to improve on the Mains Charger if you want to charge on Hookup, it would make sense to look at an Inverter/Charger combo unit if an Inverter is also on the wish list. Mains Charger is an AC-DC device and an Inverter is a DC-AC device. basically they do the opposite roles but have a lot of similar components, and a combo unit can save space and money as they combine both technologies in the one box.

and would all 6 batteries receive the same charge top up when I’m on hook up or does the last one in line get less juice?,
The answer to the above is YES, but only if the batteries are installed without thought. And this issue would not be limited to charging, but also discharging as well (and ingeneral use, not just when/if using an inverter).
If you have the batteries cabled correctly, then all batteries will get used equally and charged equally. Exactly what "correctly" translates to depends on if you are fitting 2, 3, 4, 5 or all 6 batteries. There are a few options to cable up the batteries for best practice, but also a lot of ways to NOT get the best out of them by poor cabling.

I don’t plan to do this work myself as I’m an imbecile, all advice gratefully accepted. :giggle:
Take it logically and it is pretty straightforward for an installer to install to your requirements, leaving them to ensure the cabling is done correctly.
Given the question of how many batteries, what I would suggest is work out where they will go... do they need to be separated due to space? (consequence on cabling), weight distribution?
As an example, the battery box in my Motorhome will accommodate 2 batteries, so I repurposed that external locker (now a tool box) and use part of the bench seat storage for my 6 batteries. Obviously by doing that I have lost internal storage space, but I accept that and not an issue for me.

Wow, that’s a comprehensive reply, sincerely, much appreciated. First off then I’ll measure the under bed to plan the layout and take it from there. If my wife is onboard we only use sites with hookup and if I’m walking the dog it’s only 2/3 nights, the reason I bought these is the 2 existing ones had seen better days and let us down in Spain once and haven’t done well over winter as we have no hook up where we live, next winter I’ll disconnect everything whatever we do, anyway thanks again for a great reply.

Wow, that’s a comprehensive reply, sincerely, much appreciated. First off then I’ll measure the under bed to plan the layout and take it from there. If my wife is onboard we only use sites with hookup and if I’m walking the dog it’s only 2/3 nights, the reason I bought these is the 2 existing ones had seen better days and let us down in Spain once and haven’t done well over winter as we have no hook up where we live, next winter I’ll disconnect everything whatever we do, anyway thanks again for a great reply.
What I like to do (especially with heavy things like 150A lead batteries) is use a packing box to make up a couple of mock batteries and then manipulate those around to see how they fit. If you still have the boxes the batteries come in, just adapt some of them :)

That's a hell of a lot of amp-hours, you'll be visible from space :) :)

Not in the least bit envious of course.

As David says a stand-alone MPPT controller is the way to go, not sure about how I'd configure it though to keep the cost down, and get one which keeps the starter battery charged up too if possible.

You might (on shaky ground) be able to keep the solar set up you have connected to the Sargent but send the charge to the starter battery, and use the new panels to charge the new leisure battery bank.

An embarrassment of riches for sure :D :D

You will have to find a way to float charge them over winter, and now days it would have been maybe better buying lipo4 or lead carbons batteries as thes can be deep discharges and have 13/1500 cycles compared to 200/300 with the ones you bought, and they should not be taken down below 50/60 %

That's quite significant info. Do you have no mains power?
No,we live in a small cottage on a manor (now apartments) and the parking is about 40 metres away, I do run a long cable up to it occasionally but ideally need to bury a cable underground which is out of the question.

No,we live in a small cottage on a manor (now apartments) and the parking is about 40 metres away, I do run a long cable up to it occasionally but ideally need to bury a cable underground which is out of the question.
if you went for a Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120 Inverter/Charger you would have the ability to mains charge much faster than with the built-in charger (maybe 8x faster?). Something to consider if you can locate closer for shorter periods?

Those batteries will age rapidly if you dont keep them fully charged (almost certainly why your current ones are past it) so you need to pay attention to your solar.
Much will depend on how you holiday of course because you'll also have EHU if/when you use sites, and you'll also have the opportunity to charge from the alternator while you travel. But if you're anything like us a really good B2B and solar setup will be pretty much a necessity with such a formidable battery bank and no EHU available at home.

Time for a re-think , collected the batteries and decided first job was to weigh it, anyone need a new battery ?
IMG_0760.jpeg

Always better to ask here before you open the wallet and waste money on old hat tec.
I don’t think 40kg overweight is that bad, once I’ve removed the 2 old batteries I reckon I’l be under, of course the wife and 2 dogs will have to take public transport :LOL: , so I have a plan B which is to uprate the van to 3850kg, try to get my old licence back,(I gave it up when I hit 70) spend a grand on charger/inverter and bobs my uncle, or plan C, just swap the 2 old batteries, guess which way I’m leaning towards:LOL:. Anyone need a new battery? £75 for the battery and probably another £75 for delivery unless you’re passing by Worcester.

I don’t think 40kg overweight is that bad, once I’ve removed the 2 old batteries I reckon I’l be under, of course the wife and 2 dogs will have to take public transport :LOL: , so I have a plan B which is to uprate the van to 3850kg, try to get my old licence back,(I gave it up when I hit 70) spend a grand on charger/inverter and bobs my uncle, or plan C, just swap the 2 old batteries, guess which way I’m leaning towards:LOL:. Anyone need a new battery? £75 for the battery and probably another £75 for delivery unless you’re passing by Worcester.
Given the level of changes you would need, I think just doing a straight swap like for like would be a better bet :)

Ref the license, I don't know how it works .... If you didn't keep your C1 and let it go on license renewal, CAN you get it reinstated without taking some kimd of HGV test?
PS. If you decided going Lithium was a good idea to keep the weight down - which it certainly would, you would still (IMO) need to update the EHU and Split charger system as a Lithium Battery is so much more demanding on the charging system.

I “think” you can get your normal licence categories re-instated but you then need to conform to the medical requirements again which is why I gave it up in the first place, I don’t think I can get my HGV back without taking a test, I should really know all these answers as I was a HGV driving instructor :LOL:

Back