Portable diesel heaters - any good?

Moped

My search radar has picked up portable self contained diesel heaters with 5kw heating outputs and on-board 5ltr diesel tanks for around £150 or so. They consume a claimed 0.3ltr per hour so a tank full would last around 15 hours of heating or more assuming thermostatic control. This appears to be considerably more cost effective than using lpg for heating with a Truma or Alde heat exchanger and of course offers a portable option so can be used for heating purposes other than in a motorhome or camper van.

For example the Hcalory 12v 5kw portable diesel air heater. I would assume it requires a 12v power socket supply for the fan and control side of things.

Has anybody any experience with these and what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
My search radar has picked up portable self contained diesel heaters with 5kw heating outputs and on-board 5ltr diesel tanks for around £150 or so. They consume a claimed 0.3ltr per hour so a tank full would last around 15 hours of heating or more assuming thermostatic control. This appears to be considerably more cost effective than using lpg for heating with a Truma or Alde heat exchanger and of course offers a portable option so can be used for heating purposes other than in a motorhome or camper van.

For example the Hcalory 12v 5kw portable diesel air heater. I would assume it requires a 12v power socket supply for the fan and control side of things.

Has anybody any experience with these and what are your thoughts?
I have spent a large chunk of my work life working on and servicing various diesel heaters ...
Eberspacher/webasto and latterly Chinese clones ...

Some of The latest versions are actually pretty decent ...
Some aren't .

I've recently been using some Hcalory versions ....and to be fair they are about the best of the cheap heaters I've come across ...

Beware though not ALL have thermostatic control (an absolute must IMHO )

This unit when fitted with THIS controller does have a thermostat (so heater shuts off fully when it reaches temp and restarts when temp drops )

product-HC-A01-diesel-heater_720x.jpg
hc-a01-diesel-heater-monitor_720x.jpg

It's ran faultlessly in the greenhouse since last autumn ....
Fuel consumption figures are a little optimistic IMHO ...
BUT in a enclosed space probably not bad ....

The all in one types aren't suitable for use in enclosed spaces as,it's nigh on impossible to install them in a manner that means all exhaust connections are outside (as you would with a component type mounted with the correct turret kit ) the same heater is available in component form though for correct installation .

Beware if you buy one to replace a 2kw eberspacher though as the 5~8kw Hcalory is nigh on double the size ...

Fortunately the 2kw genuine eberspacher I fitted in out motorhome in place of the truma gas fire (sits behind the gas fire front panel )
Still works like a dream keeping us cosy and warm .

Here is a link to a review. You do require an exhaust outlet and air input. It looks ideal for gazebo or awning use in colder conditions or at night if you haven’t got hook up:-

I have a Truma diesel heater and the difference between the pressure coming out of the vent between my old Truma gas heater is very noticeable. It seems that diesel heaters require more ventilation than gas. Also when my diesel heater is starting up it draws 3.5A from both of my batteries. But after around ten minutes this falls to around 0.6A from each battery.

I’ve considered same and thought about running the exhaust through the grill in the floor for if the batteries give off gasses, depends on van design though.

I’ve considered same and thought about running the exhaust through the grill in the floor for if the batteries give off gasses, depends on van design though.
That would still leave a possible leak point on the all in one types ....

The component types are the only type suitable for use in a enclosed space ...and even then with a turret mount so all exhaust connections are sealed from the habitation space .

850154550_max.jpg

Tick tick tick Tick tick tick tick if unit is inside van. Buget in, a 5v radio to to stop the ticking. All night long. (Winter only).

Or mount the pump correctly ....then it's almost inaudible .
CDH
If you have bad hearing already ! Lol
This is the all in one box compleat temp heat fix.

This man can spend money on correctly fitting it =
Mostly CDH videos

mistericeman - I used to be a gas and oil boiler wallah. Now I have a camper with a diesel heater and wonder if the heater needs periodical servicing as do domestic central heating oil boilers. I am thinking of the soot build up in the burner.
I have just bought the camper - it is a 1999 model originally fitted with a Carver Cascade gas heater but someone down the line has removed that and fitted the diesel heater. I think it's a Webasto but haven't checked as I type. . . . . . . .

At home i put 2 bottles of diesel injector cleaner in my c heating tank, for the last lot of years the burner nozzel and swash plate along with baffles are as clean as a whistle, but night heater burn diesel which is dirty and contains more oils, so maybe a bottle now and again my help.

mistericeman - I used to be a gas and oil boiler wallah. Now I have a camper with a diesel heater and wonder if the heater needs periodical servicing as do domestic central heating oil boilers. I am thinking of the soot build up in the burner.
I have just bought the camper - it is a 1999 model originally fitted with a Carver Cascade gas heater but someone down the line has removed that and fitted the diesel heater. I think it's a Webasto but haven't checked as I type. . . . . . . .
IF the heater is installed correctly ....then you shouldn't have any issues with sooting ...

I used to pull the fuel supply line and run a gallon of Kerosene through the fleet heaters once a year as a precaution ....
On the occasions I had to swap a glow plug/screen etc I never had any soot build up ...
Though the wagons didn't run exhaust silencers ...which "can" cause sooting up on occasion .

I tend to keep a spare glow pin and gauzes/gaskets (and glow pin socket)
As well as a spare dosing pump in the motorhome as I hate being cold .

Generally they are tough/simple and problem free ....
As long as they are installed correctly ;-)

Back